Analysis Did we dominate the 2014 draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
"Champion rated Richmond the best-performed Victorian club with a differential of +83 points per pick with the Tigers drafting five players, while North Melbourne ranked 17th.
St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast, Port Adelaide, Carlton, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood all finished with a differential near zero, meaning Champion Data ranked their draft hauls in line with the AFL system.

CHAMPION DATA’S POINTS PER PICK (2014 NATIONAL DRAFT)

1. Sydney Swans: +172 points per pick (four picks)

2. Brisbane Lions: +164 (six)

3. Adelaide Crows: +153 (four)

4. Fremantle: +111 (four)

5. Richmond: +83 (five)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s-bidding-system/story-fni5fan7-1227199956210

"Champion rated Richmond the best-performed Victorian club with a differential of +83 points per pick with the Tigers drafting five players, while North Melbourne ranked 17th.
St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast, Port Adelaide, Carlton, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood all finished with a differential near zero, meaning Champion Data ranked their draft hauls in line with the AFL system.

CHAMPION DATA’S POINTS PER PICK (2014 NATIONAL DRAFT)

1. Sydney Swans: +172 points per pick (four picks)

2. Brisbane Lions: +164 (six)

3. Adelaide Crows: +153 (four)

4. Fremantle: +111 (four)

5. Richmond: +83 (five)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s-bidding-system/story-fni5fan7-1227199956210

how this will equate to success on the field remains to be seen.
stats can be over analysed to the point of nauseum.

Who says their ratings of the kids in the first place are accurate???
How they play against other kids means nothing to how they may play against men.
And given not every draftee will actually play this year, it may all mean nothing to the team to get a 'Bargain'

How they play against other kids means nothing to how they may play against men.
And given not every draftee will actually play this year, it may all mean nothing to the team to get a 'Bargain'
its all based on champion data infomation.

Yes I understand what its based on... but the data against these kids was from multiple competitions playing against other kids.
The data from an U18 game only holds relevance against other U18 games, not against AFL games...

Granted its a good indication, but on the other hand, they are only stats

But but but Chris Pelchen rated our draft period a C+ :eek:

So who were the winners and losers of the 2014 NAB AFL Draft? There were several clubs who have come away as the ringmasters of this year’s show.

Relative to their selections in the draft, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne, GWS, St Kilda and West Coast stand out as the teams who should pack up their tents for the trip home with the biggest smiles on their faces.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-28/the-circus-rolls-on

Note that NONE of the top 5 in the start of this thread get a mention.

and a couple of my favourite tidbits from his other article.. (comments in brackets are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of afl.com.au or the Pelican):

Essendon: To acquire Adam Cooney (hahaha and a BARGAIN at 400K a year), Jonthan Giles (he's no Ryder but he's ok) and James Gwilt (smacks of 'ASADA contingency plan' to me) in the trade/free agency period and then both Jayden Laverde and Kyle Langford with just two selections in the draft is a wonderful result despite the club’s recent sanctions.

North Melbourne: Although the loss of Levi Greenwood wasn’t ideal (no s**t, he almost won your B&F and he isn't in his 30s), they certainly improved their list for 2015 with the recruitment of free agents Jarrad Waite (haha) and Shaun Higgins (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-04/pelchens-analysis

But but but Chris Pelchen rated our draft period a C+ :eek:

My favourite photo of Chris Pelchen enjoying some quiet time at home...

5mmgq9.jpg

In fairness, they did state they were baffled that Miles wasn't taken much earlier. And they stated that before his breakout season not after. Let's just hope they're right on this one. How good would it be to nail at least 3-4 of our picks?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I understand what its based on... but the data against these kids was from multiple competitions playing against other kids.
The data from an U18 game only holds relevance against other U18 games, not against AFL games...

Granted its a good indication, but on the other hand, they are only stats

I know what you mean. No doubt the article is just a bit of pre-season mumbo jumbo to sell papers but i'll take it.

In fairness, they did state they were baffled that Miles wasn't taken much earlier. And they stated that before his breakout season not after. Let's just hope they're right on this one. How good would it be to nail at least 3-4 of our picks?!

Hawks nailed 4 picks one year. Now they're winning flags... Hope we do the same.

Would be interesting to see how they rated our draft if you take Reece McKenzie out as they rated him one of the biggest steals of the draft.
Not as big a steal as Ken Smith (Carl) and Jason Lavoodie (Ess) :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back