Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDrama1

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Kade Simpson rolled ankle at training, should be back to full training within a fortnight. Still shouldn't effect selection into a SC side as has missed 3 games in the last 9 years only due to that broken jaw he copped from Wellingham

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
Anyone considering Luke Hodge as a defender? Class player, priced at about 91 points, DPP and, if you ignore his injury affected game, averaged about 109 without dropping below 90 in his last 10 games of last season. Age is a worry, but must be a chance in a year with so few quality defenders.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone considering Luke Hodge as a defender? Class player, priced at about 91 points, DPP and, if you ignore his injury affected game, averaged about 109 without dropping below 90 in his last 10 games of last season. Age is a worry, but must be a chance in a year with so few quality defenders.

Having a good pre-season and still looks hungry is pretty much what you get from the training reports atm.

shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL
Age and the fact he can be prone to injury could be a problem. Will also get rested at times during the year too

cdcanman

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Will likely spend more time in the middle and forward of centre this year FWIW

cdcanman

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Is that going to be good for him though.
Fair question. While he won't be putting up mid premo type numbers, I should think that a midfield role will at the very least allow him to be a top 8 defender. At least.
Let's not forget, Luke Hodge is a hell of a lot better than a guy who runs around halfback by himself getting cheap kicks.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
Age and the fact he can be prone to injury could be a problem. Will also get rested at times during the year too
Do you have a source for the prediction that he'll be rested? Had a horror 2012 but only missed 3 games last year and 2 the year before, so I'm not sure injury prone is a fair claim. Any player over 30 is a worry when it comes to soft tissue injuries, which is why Harvey gets written off by so many every preseason. The fact Hodge was scoring so well at the end of a long hard season suggests he still has plenty to offer.

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors, NE Patriots
Do you have a source for the prediction that he'll be rested? Had a horror 2012 but only missed 3 games last year and 2 the year before, so I'm not sure injury prone is a fair claim. Any player over 30 is a worry when it comes to soft tissue injuries, which is why Harvey gets written off by so many every preseason. The fact Hodge was scoring so well at the end of a long hard season suggests he still has plenty to offer.

Definitely a good bet to be top 10 defenders. Will get rested, but Burgoyne could as well. My only concern for him is whether or not his minutes will be reduced in an effort to keep him primed for the finals.

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Anybody else keen on kade Kolodjashnij?

Second year player with a decent price tag. But I guess not that much more of a risk than what people will be taking anyway. Doubt he will increase by much, but could push his average into the 80s.

Second year player with a decent price tag. But I guess not that much more of a risk than what people will be taking anyway. Doubt he will increase by much, but could push his average into the 80s.

yeah I'd probably rather go with newnes thinking about it a bit more. From what I saw of him last year though I was impressed, but I just haven't seen enough of him.

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
yeah I'd probably rather go with newnes thinking about it a bit more. From what I saw of him last year though I was impressed, but I just haven't seen enough of him.

He was good last year, but at his price your expecting a bigger improvement than you will probably get.

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'd take kk over newnes

Why? Nothing is ever certain, but Newnes has everything going for him, KK just had a solid first year, what makes you think KK will produce better than Newnes?

Why? Nothing is ever certain, but Newnes has everything going for him, KK just had a solid first year, what makes you think KK will produce better than Newnes?

Gut feel and in a far far better side.
Think his upside is bigger than newnes

What is it that newnes has going for him

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

In the prime position for a break out (by this years defense standards anyway). Not promises he will, but has all the key factors that are consistent with a break out.

4th year, 50 games, will be 22. Looked settled last year which showed in his output, the potential for midfield time plus the standard improvement expected from a player at his stage in a career means there should be reasonable increase. A reasonable increase from 81 should see him push into the 90's, which from all accounts could be the premo level for backs.

Newnes will be a solid mid, but won't be a superstar.

I've likened him to a James Kelly style player, not the superstar of the team (Selwood, Bartel, SJ), but capable with whatever role is assigned to him.

I'd expect Newnes will do better than KK this year, hopeful move to mids & all that.

But I would expect KK's 4th year to be better than Newnes' 4th year, FWIW.

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Newnes will be a solid mid, but won't be a superstar.

I've likened him to a James Kelly style player, not the superstar of the team (Selwood, Bartel, SJ), but capable with whatever role is assigned to him.

I'd expect Newnes will do better than KK this year, hopeful move to mids & all that.

But I would expect KK's 4th year to be better than Newnes' 4th year, FWIW.

Kelly is a fair comparison, if your right, he should be able to push into the mid 90's which is fine with me.

Agreed KK will be better in the long run, but you would expect that from a 5th pick anyway.

Krujan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
EAD Jiska

KK averaged something like 39 possies and 145 SC points in the TAC Cup. He had * all pre-season last year, so did pretty will averaging 17 possies per game and 68.4 SC points in his 1st year. This kid will average 100+ SC maybe not this year, but next year for sure. I'll back him to average 85+ this year with a solid pre-season.

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
KK averaged something like 39 possies and 145 SC points in the TAC Cup. He had **** all pre-season last year, so did pretty will averaging 17 passes per game and 60 something SC points. This kid could average 100+ SC maybe not this year, but next year for sure. I'd still back him to average 85+ this year.

No doubt about it, even with a short preseason he looked very good for a first year player, got to the ball well, didn't have as much of an impact as he could have (but know one is expecting him too). He will be an SC lock for defense, I just dont think it will happen in his second year.

85 would probably be his high end this year imo.

Krujan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
EAD Jiska
No doubt about it, even with a short preseason he looked very good for a first year player, got to the ball well, didn't have as much of an impact as he could have (but know one is expecting him too). He will be an SC lock for defense, I just dont think it will happen in his second year.

85 would probably be his high end this year imo.

85 average would still be a solid return for his 360k starting price. Especially in a year where a defender might not break 100ppg average.

JohnnyDrama1

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
One thing which may effect KK's scoring is their depth in that position and especially with the recruitment of Malceski. They have Malco, Mckenzie and Harbrow playing that role. However if free'd up i reckon he will go 80+, but I might hold of on him for another year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back