Certified Legendary Thread Future of James Aish, for a limited time only! (trolling opposition supporters automatic day off)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most pertinent point to make is that he was expected to carry a far greater burden in the midfield that should be the case for a 1st year, slightly underdeveloped player.

His skills are fine IMO. His decision making is excellent. And he demonstrated a willingness to get the hard ball which I was not really expecting.

If anything, I tend to think the quality of his first year has been understated on here. I think Taylor drew the eye but Aish (IMO) is best set up for a 200 game midfield career.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree with Quigley to an extent. I also thought he was a tad over rated but for an 18 year old I think he held his own. Most of his disposals were hit and miss but he shows a willingness to do that hard yards to try to win the ball. Sit behind the play I agree but I think that would have been a coaches instruction to play it safe. Still learning two way running but that will take time. Not sure he is best 22 next season TBH and I'd have even Robinson ahead of him if we are to choose best 22 team right now. I see Aish in that 22-24 mark just outside. He has extreme talent as shown by his two beastly games against the Roos and Saints were he was arguably best on ground for both games but still went missing for large portions of other games. Will take a year or two more development before starts to consistently show his wares. Speed of the game still too fast for him imo aswell.

Would still use pick 7 on him everyday of the week in hindsight and still rate him higher than Squizz on potential but could be a hit or miss imo.

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree with virtually all that Quigley said. I'll be giving him the benefit of doubt as it was his first year,and I'll be watching with interest this year. Want to see less kicking around his body for starters.
If he sticks around I do think he'll be a very good player for us.

He's got an all round game that is going to come along pretty strong. For a lightly framed kid of average speed he did very well where most of his time on the ground was in the midfield.

Any of his disposal issues I think will be ironed out with additional fitness and strength to not be dipping into his reserve tank to actually dish the ball off. His defensive running seemed better than most first year midfielders and he seems to be able to play to instructions and I bet he is incredibly coachable.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Concern over Aish is due to dealing with Post-Go-Home-Five trauma.

I don't think he's any less or more likely to leave than half of our list, and the guy's only played one season ... let's see how he's going in 12 months.

Concern over Aish is due to dealing with Post-Go-Home-Five trauma.

I don't think he's any less or more likely to leave than half of our list, and the guy's only played one season ... let's see how he's going in 12 months.
We can say that he is more likely to leave than the more than half of our list who are contracted for 2016, including the re-signed 2013 draftees.

Contracts in this day and age do not prevent players from leaving. A couple of recent examples include Beams, Boyd, Ryder and Patfull.
No doubt based on recent events. But the vast majority of contracted players honour their contracts and in the context of the original comment about players being more or less likely to leave, I think it's still fair to say that a player without a contract is a higher risk than one under contract.

EskiBro

Debutant
Oct 18, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Nightcliff Tigers, PINT Greenants.
Fairly sure we paid something of that order to the likes of Rich for their second contract.
Rich's first year was one of the best first years, both statistically and impact wise, I've ever seen. Even then, he only needed 15-20 disposals a match to have a real impact on the result.

Aish, not so much, but no problem if they're paying him $300-400k as a 3rd year player, he'll probably be worth it by then.

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
***If there's a thread for this then feel free to move it.

Sooooo..... James Aish still hasn't signed. I'm starting to think that he'll be going back home.

I mean what does he and his manager want??? If he wants the big bucks then he better earn it. If not let him go for the right pick.

I really want him to stay though..... Just to make a statement to the world that the Brisbane Lions family is strong and you should want to be apart of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiltop77

Senior List
Jan 13, 2014
Devonport, TAS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At this point i really dont care. If he stays he stays. If he goes he goes. Nothing we can do about it. Dont get me wrong i hope he stays because he is going to be a gun. but its just getting beyond the point of caring about the speculation and if he cant see how great the club is turning out then why bother we just get fair compensation for him and move on and get Keays.

I'm not backing down until the end of the suggested 'pre-season' - if it is announced/changed to, he will wait until the end of the season, then I would not be confident.

Let's all let the pre-season call run it's course. ;)

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At this point i really dont care. If he stays he stays. If he goes he goes. Nothing we can do about it. Dont get me wrong i hope he stays because he is going to be a gun. but its just getting beyond the point of caring about the speculation and if he cant see how great the club is turning out then why bother we just get fair compensation for him and move on and get Keays.

Well said - Club has clearly done a lot since the GH5 to make it an environment where players want to stay. If he leaves, he is the odd one out this time around, not the norm like a couple of years ago. Club will have done everything to be reasonably expected of them and if he still doesn't want to stay after that then good luck to him.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fair compensation. We didn't get fair compensation for the other 5 top draft picks, l can't see it changing with Aish.

I agree with blynd_freddie if he puts it off again, then he is gone imo. He has had ample time to to re-sign, l am sure we would be giving him a decent wage and if he really does go back home then maybe we don't want that type of personality with us after he said when he got drafted that he wanted to forge his own career away fro home.

Hiltop77

Senior List
Jan 13, 2014
Devonport, TAS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fair compensation. We didn't get fair compensation for the other 5 top draft picks, l can't see it changing with Aish.

I agree with blynd_freddie if he puts it off again, then he is gone imo. He has had ample time to to re-sign, l am sure we would be giving him a decent wage and if he really does go back home then maybe we don't want that type of personality with us after he said when he got drafted that he wanted to forge his own career away fro home.

I have no doubt now with swan and lethal at the helm of the club that we are a better chance of getting fair compensation than we were before. And im not as fussed about Aish as i was before we have resigned all the others and they look to be really embracing the club and that is a great achievement considering the go home five.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Can everyone stop jumping the gun on Keays please can we all be reminded of our old saviours in Conway tickner hammelman etc who were all rated so high by all only to drop considerably etc etc you get the point

I am hoping for a much better analysis in this thread than was seen in the " future of James Aish" thread that is just 20 or so threads below this one and had its last post o less than a month ago. Too much of that thread revolved around some people saying wait and see, others saying we've done what we can and still others repeating the phrase 'adelaide fotball royalty' as if it meant James was in line for a knighthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back