Solved Brenden James Abbott - 'The Postcard Bandit'

Remove this Banner Ad

ive got the dvd if anyones having trouble finding it

Nice offer, but it is easy enough to find on YouTube.

Anyone genuinely interested in the Brenden Abbott story is really doing themselves a disservice if they don't buy the book though. I agree with Abbott's own assessment of the movie: "I was embarrassed to watch it".

Abbott offended by the movie - s**t, that must nearly compare with the terror experienced by some of the bank staff he encountered.

Abbott offended by the movie - s**t, that must nearly compare with the terror experienced by some of the bank staff he encountered.

Yeah, fair call. My answer above is in the context of recommending the book ahead of the movie to those posting here. I did find it interesting Abbott shared the same view of the movie though.

Wasn't having a go at you DC, just responding to what Abbott said.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the bloke.

I bought the book from a bookshop in South Australia just recently and they delivered it to me via mail in about 2 days. I think it was only available out of SA or Queensland, and I did the purchase over the phone having only been able to find a phone number on-line for the shop.

Nice to hear people are still reading Australian Outlaw. Still got a couple of boxes at home if anyone wants a cheap, brand new, signed copy. Contact me at derekpedley@bigpond.com for details.

What happened to Tom Long the actor who played him i the film? He was looking a bright prospect and then fell off the face of the earth.

What happened to Tom Long the actor who played him i the film? He was looking a bright prospect and then fell off the face of the earth.

He played quirky roles like in The Dish and TV series, Sea Change ... was good.

Newspaper article has him selling his Melbourne house in late 2013 saying he has relocated to New York.

In 2012 he was performing in a historical play in Sydney when he collapsed and went to hospital but was OK.

I guess he does more theatre/plays these days, esp as he's moved to NY.

I also read that he was a doco maker but couldn't find any info on what he's made tho

IMDB ... he's done some stuff since the Postcard Bandit but not much ...
Woodley (2012, ABC TV series)
Abraham (2010, short film)
East of Everything (2008–2009, ABC Miniseries)
Joanne Lees: Murder in the Outback (2007, ABC miniseries)
The Book of Revelation (2006, film)
Black Jack: At the Gates (2006, film)
Go Big (2004, TV Movie)

Last edited:

Long looked the next big thing there for a while. But I haven't seen him on-screen for some time.

Nice to hear people are still reading Australian Outlaw. Still got a couple of boxes at home if anyone wants a cheap, brand new, signed copy. Contact me at derekpedley@bigpond.com for details.

Will flick you an email at work tomorrow Derek, thanks for popping into BigFooty!

I just finished reading the book myself
Good read couldn't put it down.
Had to go look at the spine of the book to find out who the author was after reading this post.
Would be interesting to know how much he(Abott) censored the book for his own ego and I really would have liked to read about Berichon's account of what happened,pity he withdrew from contributing to the book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fellow North supporter was saying that Abbott used to go to all North home games when he was on the run. Said North supporter, nit unversed in the Australian demimonde, said he actually recognised Abbott there but obviously didn't feel the need to inform the cops.

Still amazed Berichon would go down to Russell Street on pretty much a daily basis and not get picked up by the cops.

I just finished reading the book myself
Good read couldn't put it down.
Had to go look at the spine of the book to find out who the author was after reading this post.
Would be interesting to know how much he(Abott) censored the book for his own ego and I really would have liked to read about Berichon's account of what happened,pity he withdrew from contributing to the book.

Abbott's corrections were strictly factual, or to better obscure the identity of criminal associates. I was very surprised at how few changes he asked for.

Abbott's corrections were strictly factual, or to better obscure the identity of criminal associates. I was very surprised at how few changes he asked for.
Thanks for replying. Oh was just wondering because I saw an interview of Carl Langdon with his account of the robbery, where he was present and he says that Abbot had a 44 magnum sawn off shot gun! Also some of the media at the time was kind of crazy, but surely they couldn't have been that wrong all the time.

Thank you for writing a decent account of what happened.
Brenden Abbot did not really interest me TBH but that was a good read.

I remember following it all closely at the time when he was on the run. You couldn't help but cheer for him and hope he wouldn't get caught.

I always wonder how long he would of gone if he ditched Berichon earlier.

North crowds in Queensland just went up by one.

A fellow North supporter was saying that Abbott used to go to all North home games when he was on the run. Said North supporter, nit unversed in the Australian demimonde, said he actually recognised Abbott there but obviously didn't feel the need to inform the cops.

Still amazed Berichon would go down to Russell Street on pretty much a daily basis and not get picked up by the cops.

Lawl... sorry mate but what a load of crap. I don't think successful recognisable fugitives make a habit of heading to events packed with tens of thousands of people and a strong police presence. That's laughable.

There's daring and there's stupidity. I don't think Abbott really strayed into the latter as a story like that would suggest.

Lawl... sorry mate but what a load of crap. I don't think successful recognisable fugitives make a habit of heading to events packed with tens of thousands of people and a strong police presence. That's laughable.

There's daring and there's stupidity. I don't think Abbott really strayed into the latter as a story like that would suggest.

Mad Dog Cox is supposed to have won a five figure amount (might have been six) on Tattslotto while he was on the run and collected it.

I though Abbott spent his time in QLD/NSW.

You're wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back