Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
O'Shea pleads for Hanley to return to Mayo from AFL

Aidan O'Shea is spending much of this week badgering Pearce Hanley to abandon his AFL career and return home to Mayo.

And while it's most unlikely that Hanley will respond, O'Shea's comments reflect what all Mayo supporters are thinking.

Hanley would be a huge addition to the Mayo squad but is committed to a very successful AFL career with Brisbane Lions.

"I'll be on to him every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'll sit beside him.

"I see that he was rated 25th in the top 50 in the 'Herald Sun'. That's how highly regarded he is over here so you can imagine what at an addition he would be to us at home. He would love to do it, I'm sure, but it's his life, his career and he's getting paid so it's very difficult to come home and leave that," said O'Shea.

Hanley (26) made his Mayo senior championship debut under John O'Mahony in 2007 but later moved to Brisbane, where he has built a very successful career and last season was his best to date.

HOW ABOUT NO.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Plenty of time for Hanley to do the GAA Fairytale thing when he is 32.

He's setting himself up for life at the moment, loving life in the sun, has a dog the size of a small cow and now his his baby brother along for the journey.

He isn't going to pass that up.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Out of curiosity is there big money to be made in Gaelic football?

s**t all. Completely amateur association. Pretty much all of them work 9-5 jobs.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Plenty of time for Hanley to do the GAA Fairytale thing when he is 32.

He's setting himself up for life at the moment, loving life in the sun, has a dog the size of a small cow and now his his baby brother along for the journey.

He isn't going to pass that up.
'and using his accent to tee up some stunners here too

Rockliff named Captain

Tom Rockliff has been named as the new Captain of the Brisbane Lions Football Club.

Rockliff, 24, was announced as Captain today by Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch, after a selection process involving players, coaches, physical performance staff and the Club executive.

His elevation to the captaincy was ratified by the Club’s Board last night and the playing group were informed this morning.

Daniel Rich, Pearce Hanley and Dayne Zorko were also named as Vice-Captains.

Hanley set for hip surgery

Brisbane Lions Vice-Captain Pearce Hanley will undergo hip surgery and be sidelined for 12 weeks.

With a 12-week rehabilitation, it’s hoped he will only miss the first month of the AFL Premiership season.

Hanley faces extended time off field

Brisbane Lions Vice-Captain Pearce Hanley faces six weeks further off the field than first anticipated with a hip injury.

Hanley had surgery on Wednesday after developing soreness in recent weeks, expecting to spend 12 weeks in recovery.

However, the surgery to clean up bone and cartilage in the hip was more extensive once doctors examined the injury.

His recovery timeline is now 18 weeks until Hanley is expected to be back playing, around the middle of the AFL Premiership season.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
No indication that will be the case. Just as likely he'll make a full recovery

Wish I shared your optimism. Burton's report sounded bad, his good hip was in a worse state than his bad hip.

Hoping it's not degenerative.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From my understanding, he'll be back at 100% for 2016. Sounds like they have cracked onto it quickly which should eliminate possible tearing near the edges. Degenerative changes can happen if an increased workout is prematurely put into place. Generally, they recover well providing they stick to the suggested exercise/recovery routines.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At first, I was upset with this news too......but on thinking about it, I'm glad they have fixed it all now. As Pearce says, better fixed than had he gone on, could've finished his career. 6mnths out now, 6+ years ahead of him.

We have plenty to cover for him.....a few years back and this would have been devastating, no-one to cover his spot...but now its the best position we've been in for years.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
My son is in the rehab trade and in his opinion there's no reason he can't come back as good as new. Not like it's an achilles.

Return to the firing line is dependent on a]personal physical recuperative characteristics and b]the skills of Lions support staff.

Back