Queensland State Election (31/1/2015) - Labor form govt (Thread pg 54)

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to be corrected but I thought Howard was PM until Rudd was sworn in and I recall ministers in the UK coming from outside of parliament.
Didn't Rudd win his seat, thereby was eligible?
In Queensland, you don't need to be successful in your electorate.

Forget 30 seats. This will go to the wire tomorrow. My Dad is the LNP Treasurer for one of the electorates. He said the LNP won't release internal polling. Usually this means polling is worse then every one thinks.

Sounds messy.

Does that mean I tune in to ABC24 at home with a couple of buckets of popcorn Lebbo?

Forget 30 seats. This will go to the wire tomorrow. My Dad is the LNP Treasurer for one of the electorates. He said the LNP won't release internal polling. Usually this means polling is worse then every one thinks.

I tend to think you are right. The parties know who is going to win a couple of weeks out from voting day. I noticed a marked change in the strategy of the LNP about a week ago. They said that all their promises won't be fulfilled unless they are voted back in. True, of course but it smacks of desperation, blackmail, and chaos. I believe Newman is gone and the LNP is in trouble, especially in the north. His cut and run from there yesterday to Brisbane indicates the LNP has all but given up of holding the north.

If they manage to get back in, the concerns of Tony Fitzgerald will be realised. The corrupt days of the peanut farmer will be nothing to what the LNP has in mind.

Happy to be corrected but I thought Howard was PM until Rudd was sworn in and I recall ministers in the UK coming from outside of parliament.

Peter Mandelson wasn't in parliament before he was appointed to cabinet. They can cheat the system by making them Lords. Patrick Gordon Walker is an interesting story.

They can cheat here by appointing to someone to a spare senate spot. Bob Carr was appointed to cabinet without being elected.

Didn't Rudd win his seat, thereby was eligible?
In Queensland, you don't need to be successful in your electorate.
The point is that there was a couple of days where Howard was caretaker PM while he had no seat in parliament.
Peter Mandelson wasn't in parliament before he was appointed to cabinet. They can cheat the system by making them Lords. Patrick Gordon Walker is an interesting story.

They can cheat here by appointing to someone to a spare senate spot. Bob Carr was appointed to cabinet without being elected.
True, however I would much rather the party that won the seat to choose a replacement than have the farce that lead to the constitutional crisis of '75.

I tend to think you are right. The parties know who is going to win a couple of weeks out from voting day. I noticed a marked change in the strategy of the LNP about a week ago. They said that all their promises won't be fulfilled unless they are voted back in. True, of course but it smacks of desperation, blackmail, and chaos. I believe Newman is gone and the LNP is in trouble, especially in the north. His cut and run from there yesterday to Brisbane indicates the LNP has all but given up of holding the north.

If they manage to get back in, the concerns of Tony Fitzgerald will be realised. The corrupt days of the peanut farmer will be nothing to what the LNP has in mind.
I will ring my Dad now and hopefully get back with some internal polling news.

Britain and Canada have unelected upper houses you can appoint outsiders to. Queensland does not. (Not to mention we're not talking about being a minister here, but head of government which requires you to commit to the lower house.)

If Campbell loses on Saturday he is screwed unless someone gifts him a byelection.

Britain and Canada have unelected upper houses you can appoint outsiders to. Queensland does not. (Not to mention we're not talking about being a minister here, but head of government which requires you to commit to the lower house.)

If Campbell loses on Saturday he is screwed unless someone gifts him a byelection.

Why would the LNP gift the guy who will see their party lose up to 30 seats a by-election?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the debate on ABC24.
Surprisingly didn't think there was a clear winner and Anastasia held her own quite well.
Best line was when Newman spoke about the relationships between Labor and bikies after Anastasia told him if he had any proof, give it to police.
Newman replied that it was on the front page of the newspaper (Courier mail I presume), lots of laughter from the crowd.

Surprisingly didn't think there was a clear winner and Anastasia held her own quite well.
Best line was when Newman spoke about the relationships between Labor and bikies after Anastasia told him if he had any proof, give it to police.
Newman replied that it was on the front page of the newspaper (Courier mail I presume), lots of laughter from the crowd.
Did he really say that? He has lost the plot entirely.

Good grief he has lost the plot.
Labor copped it last time when they went after Campbell even though they had nothing on him. What does he think will happen to him?
Starting to look a bit desperate.
Unlikely to make much of a difference. I thought Bligh smashed Newman last time(he's a woeful debater), but no one really watches the debates anyway.
Not really that strange as I believe the same applies federally. Also as far as I know countries with a Westminster style system can have non elected people as ministers. Iirc it happens in the UK.
Would need someone else to step down and the people of that electorate to actually vote for him. That's if the party would even want him back...
I think it's been normalised to an extent in Canada, but I think it would be suicide for the LNP to do it here.
You were doing pretty well until you said the bolded bit. KAP will support the LNP with major concessions granted to farmers. Why do you want to end coal seam gas? Facts before scaremongering only please!
CSG plz

Labor copped it last time when they went after Campbell even though they had nothing on him. What does he think will happen to him?
Starting to look a bit desperate.

Unlikely to make much of a difference. I thought Bligh smashed Newman last time(he's a woeful debater), but no one really watches the debates anyway.

Would need someone else to step down and the people of that electorate to actually vote for him. That's if the party would even want him back...
I think it's been normalised to an extent in Canada, but I think it would be suicide for the LNP to do it here.

CSG plz
More overwhelming proof. Well done.

Apparently a 9.5% undecided vote in that poll. That's very high for election eve.

It'll come down to how the Greens preferences flow and who has had the late momentum.

Importantly, those undecided 9.5% might be more inclined to give the LNP a kick if they look likely to retain government.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back