Top 40 Under 22s in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It is when it comes to consistency but Bennell on talent alone would be number 1.
Nah, he's more consistent and more talented than Brad Hill. He had five games this year with less than 20 touches, he kicked 7 goals in them, only 3 games where he didn't kick a goal (15 games total).

Brad had 9 games under 20, only 1 goal in those games, 12 total games without goals (22 games total).

That's despite Bennell missing the preseason and first 6 games with injury.

They aren't close as players, and that's saying something given Brad is good.

Nah, he's more consistent and more talented than Brad Hill. He had five games this year with less than 20 touches, he kicked 7 goals in them, only 3 games where he didn't kick a goal (15 games total).

Brad had 9 games under 20, only 1 goal in those games, 12 total games without goals (22 games total).

Not sure goals are a stat that's fair to Hill he is busting his arse up the wings trying to hit his forwards on the tit, Bennell spends plenty of time in the F50.
Brad also copped a knee injury and struggled for a few weeks before having 2 weeks off.

The difference is Brad doesn't look lazy when he is struggling where Bennell does.
Bennell would be freaky if he had Brads work ethic.

Hopefully it will come for Bennell this year and if it does the Coast will be top 6.

Not sure goals are a stat that's fair to Hill he is busting his arse up the wings trying to hit his forwards on the tit, Bennell spends plenty of time in the F50.
Brad also copped a knee injury and struggled for a few weeks before having 2 weeks off.

The difference is Brad doesn't look lazy when he is struggling where Bennell does.
Bennell would be freaky if he had Brads work ethic.

Hopefully it will come for Bennell this year and if it does the Coast will be top 6.
Bennell has a higher percentage of his games with over 20 possessions than Brad does. He's not lazy, he has a massive work rate, unless you mean his first couple of games when he was clearly unfit on his return. If he enters the season healthy i expect he'll have a massive year and be seen as one of the breakout mids who gets talked about as an AA level player.

Bennell has a higher percentage of his games with over 20 possessions than Brad does. He's not lazy, he has a massive work rate, unless you mean his first couple of games when he was clearly unfit on his return. If he enters the season healthy i expect he'll have a massive year and be seen as one of the breakout mids who gets talked about as an AA level player.
I saw half a dozen games live that Bennell played and was disappointed at times, maybe due to the ability he has.
Don't get me wrong I agree that he is definitely AA potential and possibly top 5 players in the comp.

Lachie "Rosco" Neale is going to own this thread in 2015.

Ball magnet who has already played and played well in multiple big games.

Expect that to continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill is more of a pure winger than Bennell with much less responsibility (Bennell even gets a hit in the clearances every now and then), unfair to compare an undeniably slight difference in average possession numbers even if some games he doesn't crack 20, it's like penalising Hill for having some awesome games, he's also not as efficient with the ball (tries to do too much too often in an average team) despite reputation saying otherwise. And he tackles much less. To say they're not close is not based on anything in particular besides looking flashy, surely. I think Bennell will end up better though it's no certainty, but there's not much difference at all right now.

Probably because he turned 22 in May, and was no longer eligible by the OP's strict rules ................. otherwise he's clearly the best player mentioned in this thread

Except people including the OP are still continuing to mention other 22 year olds such as Parker and Liberatore.

Probably because he turned 22 in May, and was no longer eligible by the OP's strict rules ................. otherwise he's clearly the best player mentioned in this thread
I like definitive statements!

A lot of the better younger players play for bad teams (GC, though improving/GWS/Dogs) and will look very very good once they start winning more. You'd be hard pressed to make an arguement that Heppell had a better year than Dion Prestia or Adam Trelor, just to name two for example.

I like definitive statements!

A lot of the better younger players play for bad teams (GC, though improving/GWS/Dogs) and will look very very good once they start winning more. You'd be hard pressed to make an arguement that Heppell had a better year than Dion Prestia or Adam Trelor, just to name two for example.
Hard pressed to argue that the guy who won the B&F in a top 8 side and made the AA team and leads them both in pretty much every statistical category was a better player than those two? If you'd said hard pressed to prove I'd agree but it's certainly eminently arguable.

Hard pressed to argue that the guy who won the B&F in a top 8 side and made the AA team and leads them both in pretty much every statistical category was a better player than those two? If you'd said hard pressed to prove I'd agree but it's certainly eminently arguable.
Well statistically there is no real difference between the three, and advanced metric's such as Champion Data/Super Coach show no daylight between them.

If you're basing it off club awards :$ and AA selection, well i guess that's your call, but don't claim it as a statistical basis, or impact on the game basis.

Prestia and Treloar both had better goals contributed averages (goals + goal assists), better clearances averages, better and better tackles averages.

Not saying they are better, but to argue Heppell is clearly better is silly. Both are younger as well.

Well statistically there is no real difference between the three, and advanced metric's such as Champion Data/Super Coach show no daylight between them.

If you're basing it off club awards :$ and AA selection, well i guess that's your call, but don't claim it as a statistical basis, or impact on the game basis.

Prestia and Treloar both had better goals contributed averages (goals + goal assists), better clearances averages, better and better tackles averages.

Not saying they are better, but to argue Heppell is clearly better is silly. Both are younger as well.
Firstly, I think we're in agreement but arguing semantics. Heppell, in my view, is a better player than both (not flemington straight like hyperbole mind you) but for you to suggest that you would be "hard pressed to make an argument" is inaccurate. Heppell statistically was very similar to the two mentioned and leads them in a number of categories, the players' roles being slightly different though. Him being the only one named in the AA squad, let alone the team should be a reasonable argument. I didn't claim AA/B&F as statistically relevant or impact on the game, have to rely on my football knowledge for that.

Not that I'm arguing the point but you do realise parker won the B&F at the minor premiers. Internal club rankings shouldn't matter when comparing players from different clubs as clubs value some things differently to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back