Mega Thread Hird Appeal dismissed by Full bench of the Federal Court 30/1- Hird will not appeal. Details in OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Well it just got lower again.....and he is the Chief Football Writer for News Ltd...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ja...es-mark-robinson/story-fndv7pj3-1227202676160

"IT’S the vibe. It’s Mabo. It’s Hird.

For most of us, our relationship with the High Court of Australia comes from watching The Castle.

It’s in Canberra. It’s wigs and silks. And judges — and there could be up to seven of them sitting in judgment — are a bunch of crusty old people who look after the little people."
It's not a good look when a grown man hero worships another grown man.

For his own sake I really think Robinson should be barred from any further comment in relation to this EFC generated debacle. He is just coming across as a babbling fool.

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Can you please explain it to me

Apparently it's a catch-all term used for people who advocate a free market, bugger all regulation, Lazze faire policy, conservative politics ......that kind of thing.
What is has to do with this saga is completely beyond me.

BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Ah, now I think I have got it!

Anti-Doping bodies following due process to try and ensure the game we all love is PED Free = CONDUCT THAT IS WRONG

Pumping your entire playing list full of experimental, banned, not to be used on Humans Drugs = CONDUCT THAT IS OK WITH JIMMY

:thumbsu:
Bodies that do Jimmy wrong are bad and must be stopped. Jimmy is not capable of seeing the bigger picture or anything outside of Jimmy.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
My favorite parts of the day has been the byplay between Ings and hardie. Its funnier because Hardie has Ings blocked i believe.

Richard Ings @ringsau · 9h 9 hours ago
We should all spare a thought for Martin. This decision will (again) be a great disappointment for him I am sure.

Almost Doc Martin @MartinHardieUni · 8h 8 hours ago
Tell Richard that I'm not disappointed but that I have had my worst fears about 'democracy' and the rule of law confirmed

Almost Doc Martin @MartinHardieUni · 9h 9 hours ago
If Full Crt is right then contract is the new source if all rights for all if us in the global neoliberal constitution.

Almost Doc Martin @MartinHardieUni · 9h 9 hours ago
Constitutionially full crt is as wrong as Middleton was. In terms of neoliberal governance they have done their job.

Richard Ings @ringsau · 8h 8 hours ago
If Martin played tennis I think he may have argued a few line calls.

Almost Doc Martin ‏@MartinHardieUni
Spot on: ASADA is a poor investigative body which lacks documented processes. That didn't suddenly happen. It was poorly established

Richard Ings @ringsau ·
Oh Martin. I can assure you the ASADA processes and people to conduct investigations were rock solid through May 2010. Reaching again

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I actually don't mind the Robbo article. Don't get me wrong, it's clear he's had a few pints beforehand, but he does give Jimmy a fair whack. Particularly with the tennis score analogy and the contempt shown to him by the judges (which we otherwise wouldn't know about).

He then spoke from a Hird perspective, which was a pretty romanticised view, but echoes the public statements. I suspect Hird is more grasping at straws because he knows he's ****ed.

It's no Walkley winner but for once he has told it like it is.

#UnpopularOpinionsThread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
That's where Middleton erred as well. The players not objecting doesn't make the process legit. The high court would never use that standard of justification for a decision about whether a statutory body had followed process. Poor old James. He will know that it is the best interest of the nation to go to the High Court. But he has so much else to do.

Case open.
The players being represented legally when they did agree to the process did make it legit. That is the point. They were not under duress, they had legal counsel all the way.

Case closed.

like the two grumpy old men on the balcony from the muppets

I think the muppets had more substance and gravitas.

Gotta wonder if a fist up the back passage would help the other two though.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would seem Hirds legal team was confused over the difference between a retrial and an appeal.
Wonder about the choice of Amendola, whose claim to fame is losing in court to the unions on the Patricks and O'Connors Meats cases. He most likely brought Hanke to the table (having worked with him on Patrick's)

Bringing in the spin doctors was about the dumbest thing they did in this whole affair. The moment the punters find out your employing a spin doctor is the moment that the public's trust and goodwill is replaced by cynicism.

Bringing in the spin doctors was about the dumbest thing they did in this whole affair. The moment the punters find out your employing a spin doctor is the moment that the public's trust and goodwill is replaced by cynicism.

"If you have the facts on your side, hammer the facts. If you have the law on your side, hammer the law. If you have neither the facts nor the law, hammer the table.”

I think playing the PR game is the modern equivalent of the table.

I think we're all missing the big issue here: Why was my Venn diagram censored? :confused:
#standbyvenndiagrams #standbyneoliberalagendas #standbyamateurart

Martin probably threatened Chief with legal action.
I suppose he didn't come off looking great in it, but it was meant to be light-hearted and certainly wasn't directed at Essendon supporters.
Oh well, can't fight city hall. Nex time, I'll harness the power of substandard photoshopping for good instead of evil :thumbsu:

He complains to universities about law students so it isn't much of a stretch
Genuinely? That seems quite petty and vindictive. Especially given his wont to impress his world view on all and sundry (while lacing every second sentence with neoliberal). I think you and others have done a really good job reporting and imparting background knowledge on procedural items, if that's any help.

Oneiros

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
All said and done, as someone who is rather concerned (fixated?) on civil liberties, I am uncomfortable with the idea that you can be obligated by a contract to tell the truth like this and if the High Court was to overturn it on that basis, I wouldn't be too upset.

I don't see it happening though, as we have nothing like the US 5th amendment in our constitution, and while the HC did somehow find a (rather dubious) implied right to freedom of speech in there, it'd be a massive statement to allow a claim like this on the basis of that.
We do have some very, very tenuously established 'rights' in this country.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They are hardly unaware of the contract terms when entering, nor unadvised. I'm afraid that's a failed argument.

Spot on.
Moving forward AFLPA may want to revisit and bargain changes to the players contract, but that's all there is folks.

What becomes really interesting is the next stage and possible range of punishments that will be seen to be fair by the wider community, and acceptable to the EFC.....

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back