Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

I did like having a Bigfooty Suns league either last year or the year before, would like to get that going again.

I did like having a Bigfooty Suns league either last year or the year before, would like to get that going again.
I think that will begin soon. Scotty_222 usually looks after the Suns BG league stuff, as it's not my scene at all. :)

I just have the feeling that the 4 clubs (St Kilda, Melbourne, GWS & Collingwood) who passed on Peter Wright will look back and think what a huge mistake they made by not picking him when they had the chance.

This kid in my belief is going to be an absolute jet who will cause nightmares for opposition teams.

With Lynch at CHF and Wright at Full-Forward it gives GCS the crucial big forwards who will give the flag a shake.

I think collingwood would regret the most.. Been missing a 2nd fiddle to cloke for the last 5 years..traded in several players to no luck.
Could of possibly helped them to a premiership if they had a second avenue to goal.
Melbourne have hogan and dawes
Stkilda McCartin Lee and membrey
GWS Cameron McCarthy Patton etc

Last edited:
I just have the feeling that the 4 clubs (St Kilda, Melbourne, GWS & Collingwood) who passed on Peter Wright will look back and think what a huge mistake they made by not picking him when they had the chance.

This kid in my belief is going to be an absolute jet who will cause nightmares for opposition teams.

With Lynch at CHF and Wright at Full-Forward it gives GCS the crucial big forwards who will give the flag a shake.
We have two other big men who could've taken that second position who have been at the club since the first AFL season :oops:

I saw Wright the other day. Man, he is huge and he's only 18 years old. He looks big enough to already physically compete with men in the AFL so I'll be really interested to see how he goes this year. I know McCartin was taken with the highest pick in the draft but Peter Wright was the second highest of the tall forwards so essentially the SUNS picked up the second best forward available in that draft class and there is no guarantee McCartin will be better than two-metre-Peter.

The recruitment of Wright should help keep Dixon out of the ruck (where he keeps getting injured) and I expect Wright to take on a Kurt Tippett like role for the SUNS. He can pinch hit while Nicholls/Smith rotate through the forward line which will allow Lynch and Dixon to stay in the forward line. That would probably result in Sam Day being sent to the backline but with injuries we'll see Day get his chance to solidify a spot in the forward at some stage in 2015. Anyway, recruiting Wright was the correct move and I think the SUNS will benefit from it a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright excites me. I was walking through the halls of the GC Convention Centre prior to the draft and walked next to 2MP, and I had to stretch my neck up to look at him (and I'm 6'2") - and he's 18! He's built as *, and even is posture is perfect. I expect him to rip it up in the NEAFL and make a huge debut in Round One, 2016.

Imagine a Wright/Matera/Dixon/Bennell/Martin/Lynch/Day forward line combination - Hawthorn-esque.

I expect him to rip it up in the NEAFL and make a huge debut in Round One, 2016.
Why couldn't he make his debut in Round One, 2015? Reports seem to suggest Wright has been impressive so far and Day doesn't have the advantage of being a coach's favourite anymore (as far as we know). We saw Lemmens take his opportunity last year in the NAB Challenge and debut Round 1. He ended up playing 18 games in 2014 for the SUNS so it can certainly be done. I understand Wright isn't high on the pecking order but all it would take is one or two good games in the NAB Challenge and he'd be right in contention for a Round 1 spot against the Demons.

So did I...
Indeed. I completely misread what you wrote. I suppose there's no reason why he can't, but the likelihood of him actually making an appearing is low, I'd say. I know it's a blank slate, but I can't see a brand new forward take the spot of Lynch/Dixon/Matera/Bennell/Martin - perhaps Day, pending Rocket's opinion.

It's all speculation so I guess we'll see in a few months!

One aspect of Wright's game that appeals to me the most is his goal kicking ability from long range. From what I've seen and heard, he is a very accurate kick from 55m on any angle and also able to dob them from 60. With his size and mobility, this makes him an enormous threat, as he needs close attention whenever he plays forward. Clayton said he is going to kick a lot of goals for us. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back