AdsGoNads

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
Last year I remember 30 odd players being trialled for the 3 remaining spots on our SANFL list.. Haven't heard anything about players training with the group or being interested in playing for the Maggies in 2015.. this is slightly worrying. Especially when I read that the Crows have 300 players to pick from for their 'Reserves' team.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ves-top-up-squad/story-fnia3gmi-1227202268740

Do we have people lining up to play for us also??

I sure hope so :confused:

Have you had a look at the thread about the four latest recontracted players on this sub-board?

Anthony Biemans, Sam Gordon, Zac Hawkins and Ben Sawford have all signed along with Luke Reynolds and Steve Summerton who is on a long-term contract.

Robbie Young and Louis Sharrad have agreed to play next year.

Have you had a look at the thread about the four latest recontracted players on this sub-board?

Anthony Biemans, Sam Gordon, Zac Hawkins and Ben Sawford have all signed along with Luke Reynolds and Steve Summerton who is on a long-term contract.

Robbie Young and Louis Sharrad have agreed to play next year.

Yeah, I saw that Ford.. but it still doesn't tell me who has showed interest in the remaining few positions we won't fill from our Academy team..

I'm sure we could rattle off a few no-names like the crows have but the simple truth is the spots will be filled with ordinary players because there is no guarantee of a spot in the league side. Look at Angus Bruggemann, he worked out there was no future as an aspirational league player at Port.

I'm sure we could rattle off a few no-names like the crows have but the simple truth is the spots will be filled with ordinary players because there is no guarantee of a spot in the league side. Look at Angus Bruggemann, he worked out there was no future as an aspirational league player at Port.

This makes me mad! :mad:
The SNAFL keeping us in the competition but crippling us further by making it impossible to recruit decent league players..

Who knows though we might get players that want to play for the jumper and as we have shown time and time again over many years committed team players will triumph over a team of fancied opponents just about every time.

Playing with one hand tied behind our back while hopping on one leg will make it difficult but I will be there as I always have.

I've noticed Derick Wanganeen and Jesse Stringer, both ex-Magpies players and delisted by their AFL clubs are still without clubs for 2015, as far as I'm aware, any chance of any of them joining us?

Last edited:
I've noticed Derick Wanganeen and Jesse Stringer, both ex-Magpies players and delisted by their AFL clubs are still without clubs for 2015, as far as I'm aware. Luke Tapscott is too, any chance of any of them joining us?
NONE, The club will no doubt introduce some of our hard working Magpie loving talented juniors like Mahne, Northeast, M Williams, J Williams, Highfold, Cook, Cooper, Corcoran, Coulston, Davidson, Deely-Godfrey, Foster, Tom Gray, Haarsma, Halkais, Hollingworth Hughes, M Lienert, J McIntyre, J. O'Neil, J Ross, T Phelps and many others.

So we have 7 definite spots available plus Young and Sharrad who gave verbally agreed to play but yet to put pen to paper as "top ups".

Who are the others that will fill vacancies in the Academy team aside from these, and when these guys cannot get a gig, do they drop back to Ammos for that week(s)? Will they come from the blokes that Corby listed?

I've noticed Derick Wanganeen and Jesse Stringer, both ex-Magpies players and delisted by their AFL clubs are still without clubs for 2015, as far as I'm aware, any chance of any of them joining us?

We can't bring in ex afl (in previous 2 years I think) listed players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can't bring in ex afl (in previous 2 years I think) listed players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wording of the updated conditions is Port Adelaide has to recruit from within SA. Luke Reynolds is an ex-Port player returning from Carlton's rookie list and this was allowed so there must be some leeway for returning SA players.

The wording of the updated conditions is Port Adelaide has to recruit from within SA. Luke Reynolds is an ex-Port player returning from Carlton's rookie list and this was allowed so there must be some leeway for returning SA players.
he will take 5 marks and kick a goal in a game and we already know some norwood based club will whinge about our way to generous conditions.

he will take 5 marks and kick a goal in a game and we already know some norwood based club will whinge about our way to generous conditions.

Before long our recruiting zone will be the queue outside the Salvation Army soup van.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before long our recruiting zone will be the queue outside the Salvation Army soup van.
Played cricket against Uni 10 years ago and I aware they had one guy from hurt street playing for them. 150 runs later and I am still petrified when I see similar looking individuals!

The huge problem for the Port Magpies is there is no prospect of long term players other than the designated senior player who is currently Steve Summerton. Under the current structure most of the Magpies will be fringe or developing AFL players or floaters who will give us a year or two before going to an SANFL club that will pay them more. There is simply not much experience playing in the side consistently. In 2015 we will have, Summerton, Logan and Sam Gray with any real experience. maybe someone can think of another 24 year old player on our books with 100+ games under his belt?

I see that Mitch Mead, young McKay, Harrison Hawkins, Sam Sawford, Ian Milera, Jayden Day, and a handful of others are now with (mainly) the Eagles and a couple with North :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just disgusting, but we can do zilch about it. I'm sure most would have dreaded leaving Port, but can't blame them if they want to have an AFL future - you need to play at the highest possible level and excel to be noticed.

SANFL campaigners!!!

I see that Mitch Mead, young McKay, Harrison Hawkins, Sam Sawford, Ian Milera, Jayden Day, and a handful of others are now with (mainly) the Eagles and a couple with North :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just disgusting, but we can do zilch about it. I'm sure most would have dreaded leaving Port, but can't blame them if they want to have an AFL future - you need to play at the highest possible level and excel to be noticed.

SANFL campaigners!!!

So how may is it that we need now?

Excuse my ignorance.. but there doesn't seem to be much news on the Maggies side..

The huge problem for the Port Magpies is there is no prospect of long term players other than the designated senior player who is currently Steve Summerton. Under the current structure most of the Magpies will be fringe or developing AFL players or floaters who will give us a year or two before going to an SANFL club that will pay them more. There is simply not much experience playing in the side consistently. In 2015 we will have, Summerton, Logan and Sam Gray with any real experience. maybe someone can think of another 24 year old player on our books with 100+ games under his belt?
Have they changed the rules as I thought the leadership player had to be over 28. Last year it was Slattery although Summerton was captain. Dont think Port Power Reserves have announced a leadership player yet this year.

Have they changed the rules as I thought the leadership player had to be over 28. Last year it was Slattery although Summerton was captain. Dont think Port Power Reserves have announced a leadership player yet this year.
Hahahaha! Good one man, you showed us!!!!!

No but really, you're either genuinely attempting to make a point, or you're attempting to troll. Either way, it was shite.

Hahahaha! Good one man, you showed us!!!!!

No but really, you're either genuinely attempting to make a point, or you're attempting to troll. Either way, it was shite.

Not trolling. Simply interested in who your leadership player is this year. And wondering if the age rules have changed so you could have Summerton as the Leadership Player.

Not trolling. Simply interested in who your leadership player is this year. And wondering if the age rules have changed so you could have Summerton as the Leadership Player.
Really, this "Leadership Player = Captain" s**t came up 12 months ago, move on.

But to answer your question, six contracts are still up for grabs, one of which is available to someone aged 28+ if the club wishes to pursue such a player. The rules regarding the leadership player have not changed.

Wanganeen signs with North Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back