Australian of the Year Rosie Batty

Remove this Banner Ad

If this occurred, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. It would make sense, seeing 80% of suicides are by men.

But would you expect people to raise comment as to how women weren't (and should be) a part of the discussion?

Serena Williams would not beat any man in the top 300.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...qJjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mggGAAAAIBAJ&pg=3506,5011601

I hate tennis too but it would be amusing to see a bloke who can't even get on the tour put on a dress and win a women's tournament.

Let's take 800m running for instance: The world record for women is 1:53.28. The gold medalist in Athens, Kelly Holmes, ran 1:56.38. Now in comparison, all men who wish to qualify just for Olympic selection need to run at least 1:47 flat, and that's before national selection trials. Amateur school boys who train can run faster than the fastest woman ever.

For a man to gain membership into a running club like The British Milers club in England, he must run at least a 1:56 flat. So, amateur men who do this for fun and who train after work rather than professionally F/T have to run quicker than the gold medal winning time of Kelly Holmes in the Athens Olympics just to join the local amateur club.

There are hundreds of guys who hold down F/T work and train after work who struggle for recognition, yet female professional runners like Kelly Holmes and Paula Radcliffe, who run slower than these amateur men, become millionaires just for being the fastest woman in their preferred distance.

It's similar in the 100m event, where a boy named Harry Aikinnes-Aryeetey who competes in the U15's and runs a 10.5; this makes him just as fast as Florence Griffith-Joyner, the fastest woman in history at this event. What does it say about women's athletics when a child can outrun the best of them?

Athletic Achievement Table

Men top level athletes
Men mid level athletes
Men low level athletes
Junior men top level athletes
Junior men mid level athletes
Junior men low level athletes
Women top level athletes
Disabled men top level athletes
Women mid level athletes

So, when it comes to tennis, I'd confidently wager that if they pitted the guy ranked 2000 in the world against Serena Williams, the man would still win, such is the vast difference between men and women in sports.

On a different note:

It pays to be a woman at Wimbledon!

Last edited:

Let's take 800m running for instance: The world record for women is 1:53.28. The gold medalist in Athens, Kelly Holmes, ran 1:56.38. Now in comparison, all men who wish to qualify just for Olympic selection need to run at least 1:47 flat, and that's before national selection trials. Amateur school boys who train can run faster than the fastest woman ever.

For a man to gain membership into a running club like The British Milers club in England, he must run at least a 1:56 flat. So, amateur men who do this for fun and who train after work rather than professionally F/T have to run quicker than the gold medal winning time of Kelly Holmes in the Athens Olympics just to join the local amateur club.

There are hundreds of guys who hold down F/T work and train after work who struggle for recognition, yet female professional runners like Kelly Holmes and Paula Radcliffe, who run slower than these amateur men, become millionaires just for being the fastest woman in their preferred distance.

It's similar in the 100m event, where a boy named Harry Aikinnes-Aryeetey who competes in the U15's and runs a 10.5; this makes him just as fast as Florence Griffith-Joyner, the fastest woman in history at this event. What does it say about women's athletics when a child can outrun the best of them?

Athletic Achievement Table

Men top level athletes
Men mid level athletes
Men low level athletes
Junior men top level athletes
Junior men mid level athletes
Junior men low level athletes
Women top level athletes
Disabled men top level athletes
Women mid level athletes

So, when it comes to tennis, I'd confidently wager that if they pitted the guy ranked 2000 in the world against Serena Williams, the man would still win, such is the vast difference between men and women in sports.

On a different note:

It pays to be a woman at Wimbledon!

The reason women get paid the same as men in tennis is because a 29 year old Billie Jean Kiing (arguably the best female player of all time) beat a 55 year old Bobby Riggs (former number 1 player in the world) in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.

Although it is largely speculated that he tanked the game on purpose as a few months earlier he had evicerated Margerat Court (number #1 ranked female player at the time) 6-2, 6-1, made a large number of unusual unforced errors and was over $100,000 in gambling debt.

I'd expect some commentary, I suppose... not some of the drivel posted here...

That's because women aren't routinely given the short end of the stick when recognition of problems come up.

As soon as women were brought up about suicide, they'd be included. I would be shocked to see anyone in authority mentioned men in DV, however long the current campaign goes for.

That's because women aren't routinely given the short end of the stick when recognition of problems come up.

As soon as women were brought up about suicide, they'd be included. I would be shocked to see anyone in authority mentioned men in DV, however long the current campaign goes for.

in what other social areas are men given the "short end of the stick"? In your opinion?

Time for a national discussion about child abuse. Sadly what I feel makes this harder for some people to do is the rates of the perpetrators do not fit the prefered stereotype.

Time for a national discussion about child abuse. Sadly what I feel makes this harder for some people to do is the rates of the perpetrators do not fit the prefered stereotype.

The national discussion about child abuse won't happen, we all know that.
The national discussion about male suicide won't happen, we all know that.
I see in the news today that victims of child abuse will receive hefty payments costing the government up to 4 billion - but no mention of the perps.
It is established that females are the main perps of child abuse, it is established that abused children go on to commit further crimes, yet we aren't allowed to draw the bow that one of these crimes could be domestic violence. No. That does not fit the agenda.

The national discussion about child abuse won't happen, we all know that.
The national discussion about male suicide won't happen, we all know that.
I see in the news today that victims of child abuse will receive hefty payments costing the government up to 4 billion - but no mention of the perps.
It is established that females are the main perps of child abuse, it is established that abused children go on to commit further crimes, yet we aren't allowed to draw the bow that one of these crimes could be domestic violence. No. That does not fit the agenda.

Do you know that's a report from the royal commission?
And what that royal commission is investigating?

Great choice for Australian of the year. She has done a lot in the most difficult of circumstances to raise awareness about family violence. Has highlighted the need for better communication between departments and more effective police methods. Good decision.
Can't see the relevance of turning this into a thread for a 'poor men' sook.

Last edited:
in what other social areas are men given the "short end of the stick"? In your opinion?

In terms of recognition of issues, practically all of them.

I fully acknowledge that men are 'ahead' in a general sense, but when women raise issues they're looked at and acknowledged (to some degree at least). When men raise issues they're shouted down and told they're whingers.

To go to an old issue as an example (because it shows that even making noise doesn't change this), mens health. Men don't live as long as women, and prostate cancer kills more men than breast cancer does women (something massive out of step with government funding). Finally a men's health clinic was built in North Melbourne a few months back, just near the (government funded) Royal Women's Hospital and guess what...It was entirely done by donations, not a cent of government money went into it, in spite on numerous requests.

I don't deny women get the short end of the stick in many areas of life, but when it comes to recognition and official funding, they dominate men massively.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading this thread, I'm convinced that the best thing which could have happened, for some people, would have been if this a-hole had killed Rosie Batty as well. A persuasive case has been mounted that the whole thing was her fault. Apparently, his only crime was that he didn't carry through the plan to its logical conclusion.

After reading this thread, I'm convinced that the best thing which could have happened, for some people, would have been if this a-hole had killed Rosie Batty as well. A persuasive case has been mounted that the whole thing was her fault. Apparently, his only crime was that he didn't carry through the plan to its logical conclusion.

Where has anyone suggested that?

I know all I've been suggesting is that someone who claims to be trying to fight domestic violence should address the whole issue, and try to help ALL victims.

Where has anyone suggested that?

I know all I've been suggesting is that someone who claims to be trying to fight domestic violence should address the whole issue, and try to help ALL victims.
Read the thread. That it exists in its current form at all is evidence enough of what I wrote. It seems those pathetic eunuchs who insist they are denied of a voice in this debate are not nearly as robust when the vitriol is directed at them.

Read the thread. That it exists in its current form at all is evidence enough of what I wrote. It seems those pathetic eunuchs who insist they are denied of a voice in this debate are not nearly as robust when the vitriol is directed at them.

Vitriol?

Like being called pathetic eunuchs?

In terms of recognition of issues, practically all of them.

I fully acknowledge that men are 'ahead' in a general sense, but when women raise issues they're looked at and acknowledged (to some degree at least). When men raise issues they're shouted down and told they're whingers.

To go to an old issue as an example (because it shows that even making noise doesn't change this), mens health. Men don't live as long as women, and prostate cancer kills more men than breast cancer does women (something massive out of step with government funding). Finally a men's health clinic was built in North Melbourne a few months back, just near the (government funded) Royal Women's Hospital and guess what...It was entirely done by donations, not a cent of government money went into it, in spite on numerous requests.

I don't deny women get the short end of the stick in many areas of life, but when it comes to recognition and official funding, they dominate men massively.

How have you ran the gauntlet of anti-male government oppression? Is it luck or just sheer Mandela-like determination?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back