News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Id luv to see Kersten get 22 but

- 1 coming back from the knee im not sure how they will manage him
- 2 he will need form to get selected ( Clark, Stanley, Walker, Bartel, Menzel, Murdoch,) to fill 4 spots.
- 3 not sure if could play all 22 even if form warranted it - This is so far his first full clean preseason.

GO Catters

He like a few players probably struggled to stay fit long enough to play 22... but he is good enough to get 3 or 4 in a game. If he can stay fit , 20 is well within his ability. Both Kersten and Murdoch in the forwardline , id back K to kick more than M

No!.,..the issue is can he kick 30, I say he'd be lucky to kick 20 whereas Murdoch gave 22 in a purely development year, how many games did he (Murdoch) play and how many was he the sub?
In 2014 Kersten averaged 7.4 points per match in 72% game time, compared to Murdoch's 6.8 points per game in 82% game time. I would also add that I think Murdoch is ahead of Kersten as far as 'development' goes. I would like to see them both play forward, but with Murdoch pushing up the ground at times, particularly during our kick in's and on our counter attack so he can use his run to deliver the ball deep inside our 50. I also think if Murdoch is able to use his run it would be good for his confidence and help him get involved a bit more in general play. He doesn't have to improve his output much. Last year he averaged over 13 touches a game, nearly 3.5 marks and 4 tackles, and over a goal a game. If he could get the ball only once more each quarter he would be a star! Get his confidence up and the goals will come.

I'd be happy with that ;)
he's gone from 8 games, 4 goals in his first season, 11 goals from 11 games in his second, then 22 goals from 23 games in his third season. 30 goals is a very realistic.... goal..... for 2015.

8 from 4
11 from 11
22 from 23
30 from ??
He would have to play 30 games in 2015 to kick 30 goals based on that sequence.;)

8 from 4
11 from 11
22 from 23
30 from ??
He would have to play 30 games in 2015 to kick 30 goals based on that sequence.
Yeah, that is definitely true but footy isn't a pure mathematical sequence- I was hoping to see improvement rather than just a 1:1 relationship between Murdoch and his goals for the rest of his career.

I was thinking if he played as a full-time forward with Hawkins, Clarke and whatever improved forward line we have in 2015, surely his opportunities will increase? We have had a make-shift forward line over the past 2 years (2013 with Hawkins' bad back). If the rest of the boys can improve around him, Murdoch will be able to kick a few more goals- that's my theory, anyway. :) I won't be happy if I have to say 'I got it wrong' but it's just a semi-educated guess.

8 from 4
11 from 11
22 from 23
30 from ??
He would have to play 30 games in 2015 to kick 30 goals based on that sequence.
I don't think that it's unreasonable to suggest that Murdoch could lift his average to 1.5 goals a game in 2015. 30 goals from around 20 games is about what I'd expect. Players aren't always going to stay on the same output level forever mate.

Murdoch playing on a wing might actually work quite effectively. But rolling him any further back than that would seem to me to be minimising his known strengths and potentially exposing some probable weaknesses.

I thought Murdoch often got tagged/corralled in 2014 to stop him using his speed to advantage. I think this is what he has to work on the most (how to find space to run and have the confidence to go for it) and then I could see him playing a Wojcinski type roll off half back.

I thought Murdoch often got tagged/corralled in 2014 to stop him using his speed to advantage. I think this is what he has to work on the most (how to find space to run and have the confidence to go for it) and then I could see him playing a Wojcinski type roll off half back.

Not sure he was tagged too often - he was playing in the forward line most if not all of the time. I'd say it's more likely he doesn't know how to stay involved in the game enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was playing in the forward line most if not all of the time.

Don't agree with that because he played on the wing quite often too in midfield rotations which is where he was corralled to prevent him sprinting by opposition. It affected his confidence IMO to trust himself and his abilities. It comes with youth. He did play in the forward line, but not all the time, and often as high half forward when he did.

Don't agree with that because he played on the wing quite often too in midfield rotations which is where he was corralled to prevent him sprinting by opposition. It affected his confidence IMO to trust himself and his abilities. It comes with youth. He did play in the forward line, but not all the time, and often as high half forward when he did.

He's had nearly 50 games. A lot more than some. He simply has to do more, and not go completely missing (again) in the finals. If we make it.

He can sprint as often as he likes. It's not going to worry the opposition until he learns how to get the ball as well.

He's had nearly 50 games. A lot more than some. He simply has to do more, and not go completely missing (again) in the finals. If we make it.

He can sprint as often as he likes. It's not going to worry the opposition until he learns how to get the ball as well.

I agree. He is dangerous around goals when he can turn on to his left foot but for a player of his size he just does not win the contested ball enough.

sorry to sound stupid

been away
so who is the head of the performance department or whatever its called now,
notice Hawkins looks slimline is this on new orders"
are the boys going away on a camp faraway to condition themselves?

He like a few players probably struggled to stay fit long enough to play 22... but he is good enough to get 3 or 4 in a game. If he can stay fit , 20 is well within his ability. Both Kersten and Murdoch in the forwardline , id back K to kick more than M

Based on blind faith,...but if it happened that he did I wouldn't complain... Just think it's all a nice dream of a "great white hope" on your part.
I'll pump up your tyres for you if you're right all the same! :rolleyes:

Based on blind faith,...but if it happened that he did I wouldn't complain... Just think it's all a nice dream of a "great white hope" on your part.

Blind...rather from what I have seen and then interpret. Its an opinion website after all. I have always liked Murdoch , actually went for us to pick him but inspite of that Kersten has something different to offer...if he can stay fit. And thats the key... no good having injured talent on your list its just soaks up time and frustrates.

Where does Max Walker fit into this conversation? He seemed to do OK against Norf.

sorry to sound stupid

been away
so who is the head of the performance department or whatever its called now,
notice Hawkins looks slimline is this on new orders"
are the boys going away on a camp faraway to condition themselves?
G'day mate, the club recently recruited Scott Murphy to head up our fitness department. He just came from working with our national rugby union team over in Europe I think. Alot of the players look alot slimmer this pre-season and from what I have read the players are focusing alot more on aerobic conditioning than what they have in previous pre-seasons.

There was no training camp this year. I think the club just decided to stay in Geelong and make this pre-season a hard slog, which I'm sure the players aren't enjoying much but from a supporters point of view it's kind of good to hear. I'm sure the players will be glad once the pre-season is over and they are able to run out games alot better than last year.

The NAB cup is only about a month away now! :)

Where does Max Walker fit into this conversation? He seemed to do OK against Norf.

It's very interesting to see what they will do.
NAB Challenge we might see them try Hawkins, Walker, Clark & Kersten (Obviously too tall but just to see how they go individually) & have Stanley play as No.1 Ruck with McIntosh/Simpson rested for NAB matches.
I was actually hoping Clark's calf injury would keep him out until perhaps Round 3 of the AFL season so we could easily pick Walker as that CHF for at least 3 games & see how he continued from his good end of 2014.

Blind...rather from what I have seen and then interpret. Its an opinion website after all. I have always liked Murdoch , actually went for us to pick him but inspite of that Kersten has something different to offer...if he can stay fit. And thats the key... no good having injured talent on your list its just soaks up time and frustrates.

I saw a training photo of Murdoch marking arms out up high, looked pretty impressive coupled with his pace he will be a target. Then again the competition of that medium forward will come from Kersten, not such a bad place thing for 2015.

Don't worry meto, if the GWH turns out to be a huge success this year, I'll run fast and jump on the bandwagon and help you onto it with me! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back