Round 1 2015 v Geelong. I'm tipping it gets ugly!

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone needs a reality check just watch the last ten minutes of the Prelim final vs Port.

Any team can do what PA did in the final 10 minutes. I don't respect that style at all. Plenty of arse needed to get that close. Hawks will prepare better for such foolhardy football in the future. There is a reason why PA ended up 5 goals down with 10 mins to go. Those comebacks very very rarely bear fruit.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Hey I like to include the entire history of my club.

1925 to 1957 were dark years yes, however nothing in comparison to your 63 to 2007..

On the big stage the big boys come to play. Check out this record with respect to games that matter:

1987 rd 22 kardinia park geelong need win to make finals.. Waittt ... Dunstall!!!

1989 GF
1991 SF FOR GF BERTH
2000 EF
2008 GF
2013 PF
2014 QF

That stings real deep

KOLOKOTRONIS

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called desperation/clutching at straws.

Cats have 9 flags in 118 years.

Hawks have 12 in 89.

Pretty simple stuff.
We didn't need zoning and won recent flags through astute drafting.

We didn't need zoning and won recent flags through astute drafting.
How very astute of Geelong to think of drafting both Gary Ablett Jnr and Tom Hawkins.

edit: And Matthew Scarlett.

Last edited:
How very astute of Geelong to think of drafting both Gary Ablett Jnr and Tom Hawkins.
Those who say that the 'father/son' rule - "advantaged" Geelong.
Are they saying that the past players of the clubs they support were as sterile as the minds of those who recruited them?

Are they saying that the past players of the clubs they support were as sterile as the minds of those who recruited them?
I'm not saying any of that. I just don't think three of your most influential players of the past 18 years (I had forgotten Matthew Scarlett) can be considered "astute drafting" when you were the only club who were able to get them.

Take those three out of your 2007, 2009 and 2011 teams and you don't win the 2007 flag (because you'd have lost the PF against Collingwood), 2009 flag (Ablett and Scarlett very influential late and Hawkins 2 goals) and you quite possibly don't win the 2011 flag either (Hawkins tore Pies apart and Scarlett holding defense together).

Yes, Geelong has recruited well over this time with guys like Chapman and Johnson just to name a couple. But those three above were the difference in each of your recent flags. They've uncovered some value at later picks over the past decade or so but let's not pretend that Geelong's recent success is just down to astute drafting. It was down to some astute drafting and an incredible amount of good luck.

I don't mind a bit of banter with opposition supporters, but if you have come here to troll maybe you should move onto another board.

Hawthorn vs Geelong Round 5 of last year is currently showing on Foxtel.

Jack Gunston's hands and marking ability is very impressive. Once he gets on the lead and gets separation from his opponent he's hard to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back