Asia All things China.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that John
Whilst it obviously doesn't justify anything it's interesting to hear about the darker side of Tibet which isn't really covered in the West at all

And yep. You're spot on about my mother being anti-communist but pro China. And like many ethnic Chinese in SEA (and presumably in China) she is supportive of a more authoritarian government than the average Westerner.

Thanks for that John
Whilst it obviously doesn't justify anything it's interesting to hear about the darker side of Tibet which isn't really covered in the West at all

And yep. You're spot on about my mother being anti-communist but pro China. And like many ethnic Chinese in SEA (and presumably in China) she is supportive of a more authoritarian government than the average Westerner.

Singapore would be a prime example of that I suppose. I had a look at wiki, fwiw, about Penang and I see that the demographics are about 45% ethnic Chinese. The link takes one to Peranakan Chinese or Straightes Chinese. The wiki says that these are descendants of migrants from the 15th to the 17th century. Very interesting indeed. Would your mum be of that origin?

Singapore would be a prime example of that I suppose. I had a look at wiki, fwiw, about Penang and I see that the demographics are about 45% ethnic Chinese. The link takes one to Peranakan Chinese or Straightes Chinese. The wiki says that these are descendants of migrants from the 15th to the 17th century. Very interesting indeed. Would your mum be of that origin?

Nah.
hey're ethnic Chinese but they are apparently Nyonya and not Chinese. Which I guess is a more cultural thing.

From memory my maternal great grandparents were all born in China (or born shortly after their parents immigrated to Penang)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back