Socceroos 2015 ASIAN CUP FINAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

He's also unproven. Happy to give him a go though.
Went to AZ Alkmaar, a top Erevidse club instead of a middling one where he would have been better off going to. Reckon someone like Middlesborough should look at him, his play would be developed well in England IMO

How come when it comes to football in Australia we always have to do thinfs the hard way?!

Fantastic game to watch, really thought Korea would go on with it after equalising.

I noticed after the game Cahill hadl an emotional look on his face like he has perhaps played his last game for Australia - Will be interesting to see if he goes on with it.

And the absolute cream is now we have the 2017 confederations cup in Russia as another big tournament and as extra prep before the World Cup in 2018.

Juric has no vision. Besides that nutmeg in the end (where he fell over to try and get the foul three times) he did bugger all and burnt his teammates. He's young but surely we have better ?

Pretty much this- credit it to him, his assist looked a great bit of play when viewed in isolation, but really it was classic juric... Got the ball in a dangerous situation, refused to release it, fell over repeatedly playing for the free, and finally stuffed up the cross and kicked it into the goal keeper who deflected it to troisi.

The only saving grace was his tenacity and just how long he stayed over the ball sucked in multiple defenders freeing up space in the middle when he managed to get back to his feet.

Personally I really doubt if juric will make it- he can be surprisingly deft when controlling the ball but he has two massive flaws for someone trying to play the position he does, he thinks slow and his foot passing is not very good. Ironically this time he spent so long fiddling with the ball that it actually came good.

FFS almost the perfect picture accept for the flog on the right.

i

Wow would have been a thriller. What does it say the final score was?
4-2. Australia and New Zealand have 4 titles each (two of the Kiwis were when we haven't played), and Tahiti won the last one in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You little beauty! :D

Heartbreaking when the South Koreans equalised in the final minutes of normal game time but what a nerve racking period of extra time! Amazing for Australian football that we have delivered here after coming so close in the 2011 Asian Cup against Japan!

Credit to South Korea for not giving up and providing us with a real test but we've passed with flying colours now!

Also such a pity that Robbie Kruse injured his achilles and will be out for 12 months but as Sandy Roberts once exclaimed in the 1990 Grand Final "he will feel no pain tonight" :D

722778-5d26f1e4-a943-11e4-98ea-b0cbd556a12b.jpg

Juric is a decent target up forward, but as stated by other poster probably won't go too far. Hasn't got the class and maturity needed to be a long term option.

Silent hero of the night for me was Milligan, was dominant in the midfield, then had to fill in for Franijc at full back for the better part of an hour :thumbsu:

Luongo is the next bresciano (who I'm pretty sure will announce his international retirement in the next 48 hours) confirmed. The next big thing on the national stage I reckon will be Daniel De Silva, remember that name people. i watched him play in the U20 World Cup and I've never been more impressed with a young up and coming talent than from what I saw in those games. Plays like Messi and has recently signed to play for AS Roma after this season.

Also such a pity that Robbie Kruse injured his achilles and will be out for 12 months but as Sandy Roberts once exclaimed in the 1990 Grand Final "he will feel no pain tonight" :D
Almost teared up seeing him come back onto the pitch on crutches and all the boys flocking to him giving him comfort, the feels :cry:

Tahiti only has a population around 170k surprised they could field a decent team let alone win it.
The biggest population in that "confederation" has a population of 7.3 million. The second biggest 4.5 million. The total population is smaller than Australia's by 10 million.

Heartbreaking when the South Koreans equalised in the final minutes of normal game time but what a nerve racking period of extra time! Amazing for Australian football that we have delivered here after coming so close in the 2011 Asian Cup against Japan!

Credit to South Korea for not giving up and providing us with a real test but we've passed with flying colours now!

Not another ******* long term injury to Kruse

Of course on reflection it is great. However, do posters think that this game will remain in our memories forever regardless whatever we achieve in soccer.

90 seconds from HT - We score against the flow of play and we literally were in jubilation, first time to score a goal and what a goal it was.

90 seconds from FT - They score an amazing equalizer and we were literally shattered as if the game was lost and over.

10 seconds from end of first half - We score again another goal against the flow of play, through the old saying never ever give up.

10 seconds from FT - SK are in a position to score an equalizer.

Penalties kinda sours the win to be honest, this epic battle deserved a winner by extra time.

Last edited:
Credit to the A-League:

Ryan CCM 80 games
Sainsbury CCM 60
Spiranovic MVFC 0 WSW* 25*
Franjic BRIS 115
Jedinak © CCM 45
Milligan SFC 42 JETS 11 MVFC* 56*
Leckie AUFC 35
Kruse BRIS 26 MVFC 39
Oar BRIS 26
Juric AUFC 7 WSW* 25*
McKay BRIS* 140*
Troisi MVFC 29
Behich MVFC 5 MH 89
Galekovic MVFC 15 AUFC* 205*
Anotonis SFC* 54*
Wilkinson CCM 172
Burns AUFC 35 JETS 12 WELL* 12*
Langerak MVFC 21

Postecoglou BRIS 80 MVFC 32

Ange stuck to his attacking youth policy. No egos. Lots of leaders and winning mentalities. Also credit to Vidmar, he's done a stack of work. Twice A-League coach of the year, ACL final, Young Socceroos coach.

It's a great feeling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back