Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

December 2014 or 2015?
What's it like that time of year?

effin horrible! if the Siberian winds are blowing you can expect a good dose of windburn and frightfully cold temps. I never bid for roster to Japan during the winter up there, it's just too cold.

effin horrible! if the Siberian winds are blowing you can expect a good dose of windburn and frightfully cold temps. I never bid for roster to Japan during the winter up there, it's just too cold.

Hokkaido, yes. Northern part of Honshu, yes. Plenty of other areas in Japan though. Mie is in the middle of Honshu and is not much colder than Melbourne. All depends where you go.

http://craftheads.jp/craftheads/Craftheads.html - Shibuya
http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~ppy/ - Ryogoku
http://www.minoh-beer.jp/spot/beerbelly/ - Osaka
http://www.ma-maison.co.jp/beerbar.html - Nagoya
http://www.isekadoya.com/restaurant/ - Ise

I haven't been to the top two but that will change next month. Place in Osaka was my favourite, hand pumped stout.

Yeah, craft beer bars are booming at the moment. I've been fortunate enough to find a new one that is a five-minute walk from my flat, but it's open only on Friday nights. That's probably a good thing for my wallet and liver though.

If you're interested, here's a comprehensive list of places in Kansai: http://www.bento.com/kansai/kf-beer.html
And a good article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/travel/a-craft-beer-pub-crawl-in-the-kitchen-of-japan.html

Both mention one of my favourite places, Garage 39, and it's definitely worth checking out. It's in Hommachi in central Osaka so it's very easy to get to, and it has great food and a good variety of beers.

Looking to head to Japan in May with the Mrs, so looking for private accomodation. Would rather stay in hotels/serviced apartments than hostels or shared rooms etc, does anyone know good sites or places to book? Also what area of Tokyo is it best to be at? Do you want to stay in shittier accomodation right in the hub of the busy areas or is it better off staying somewhere cheaper that's close to transport?

Will be going for about 14 nights and looking at spending 5 in Tokyo, 5 in Osaka and 3 in Kyoto, with the last night back in Tokyo because its closer to the airport.

Looking to head to Japan in May with the Mrs, so looking for private accomodation. Would rather stay in hotels/serviced apartments than hostels or shared rooms etc, does anyone know good sites or places to book? Also what area of Tokyo is it best to be at? Do you want to stay in shittier accomodation right in the hub of the busy areas or is it better off staying somewhere cheaper that's close to transport?

Will be going for about 14 nights and looking at spending 5 in Tokyo, 5 in Osaka and 3 in Kyoto, with the last night back in Tokyo because its closer to the airport.

I am also going in May for 14 nights and flying in and out of Tokyo... funny.

Anyone responding to this post would help me as well haha.

I usually use www.agoda.com to book accomodation they have some good deals. You would probably want to stay in Shinjuku when you are Tokyo. Hotel rooms aren't big but you will only be using them to sleep in because you should be out most of the time.
In Kyoto you should try and stay in a Ryokan if you want the more traditional Japanese experience. Lots of temples... maybe too many temples.

I only had a day vist to Osaka when I was staying in Kyoto and went to Minami (Namba). Lot's of stuff to do there.

A good website to look at for things to do and see and give you some tips is http://www.japan-guide.com/

Planning on going with family in October.

Anyone been to Okinawa? Thoughts? Was thinking about it as an end of trip stopover on the way home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did a bit of a search through, am leaving for the snow in Hakuba on Friday, is it best to do lift passes day by day or get a week? I've read that many conflicting reports, I don't know who to believe anymore.

I'm looking at heading over for a month around September.
We are looking at doing a 6 day hike through either Nakasendo or kumano Kodo. Has anyone done any hiking in Japan?

I've done quite a few hikes here, but never any that took longer than a day. Kumano Kodo is at the top of my list of places to hike, and I hope to do it this year, perhaps in spring.

For online resources for Kumano Kodo, the Kumano Hongu Heritage Center has a good site: http://www.city.tanabe.lg.jp/hongukan/en/index.html. They also have English-speaking staff, so they should be able to help you out with any queries you may have. You could also check out http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/.

If you do hike Kumano Kodo and you want to check out an onsen village while in Japan, I'd recommend Yunomine Onsen, Wataze Onsen, or Kawayu Onsen. They are all within a 10-minute drive of each other, and not far from the Kumano Hongu Heritage Center. The second link has pages for each of them.

I'm in Tokyo atm and, whilst cold, is bearable. It's 8 degrees during the day which is only about 4 degrees cooler than what you would get in Melbourne. Only downside is the wind which can pick up times but I've had no problems so far.

honestly, Shinjuku-ku is not where you want to stay, it's too busy, and not particularly interesting. Shinjuku-Ku is easily reachable on the Yamanote loop line so don't worry about being able to get there. I always stay in the Ginza area, it's within walking distance of Tokyo station, the Tsukiji market, excellent food & drink places, Imperial Palace, Roppongi and other areas. The problem with Shinjuku etc is that it's a pain in the ass to get to places like Asakusa and Ueno from there, it takes about 1hr plus with train ride and connections depending on the line you take.

if you're flying a full-service carrier then you should fly in to Haneda Airport, it's only a 25min train ride to Ginza and far more convenient than Narita. Take the Keikyu line to Higashi Ginza and you're there, 570Y, and when you get off the plane the first thing you should buy is a PASMO card. it's like our MYKI but this thing can be used anywhere for anything!!

one thing you must do in Shinjuku is visit "Piss Alley". take the west exit and turn right when you've exited the station, walk around 200m (uniqlo will be on your right) and once you pass uniqlo turn right again into an alley, you'll be able to smell what I'm talking about by now! turn left into any of the 3 alley's and go eat!

I've done quite a few hikes here, but never any that took longer than a day. Kumano Kodo is at the top of my list of places to hike, and I hope to do it this year, perhaps in spring.

For online resources for Kumano Kodo, the Kumano Hongu Heritage Center has a good site: http://www.city.tanabe.lg.jp/hongukan/en/index.html. They also have English-speaking staff, so they should be able to help you out with any queries you may have. You could also check out http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/.

If you do hike Kumano Kodo and you want to check out an onsen village while in Japan, I'd recommend Yunomine Onsen, Wataze Onsen, or Kawayu Onsen. They are all within a 10-minute drive of each other, and not far from the Kumano Hongu Heritage Center. The second link has pages for each of them.
cheers I will look them up

Did a bit of a search through, am leaving for the snow in Hakuba on Friday, is it best to do lift passes day by day or get a week? I've read that many conflicting reports, I don't know who to believe anymore.

I didn't go to Hakuba, but at Nozawa-Onsen it was way easier having a weekly pass. No stuffing around buying them every day and you can then head straight up to the mountain. Worked out marginally cheaper as well.

I spent 10 days in Japan in September. First time there. 10/10 experience. The Japanese are so humble and proud (unlike certain mainland neighbours). For anyone thinking of Japan as a holiday destination here are 10 bloody good reasons to go there (I love top 10 lists!!):

1. In September the time difference is 1 hour, so no jet lag!
2. The food! We did not have one bad meal. My favourite was okinimyaki served at an okinimyaki restaurant.
3. The juxtaposition of old meets ultra modern. Japan is steeped in rich history, but it has also embraced the future like there's no tomorrow.
4. Value for money. In September 2014 the exchange rate was about 95 Y to the dollar. It's still about that making it affordable.
5. Kyoto - the old capital of Japan. Any trip to Japan must include Kyoto. It is a vibrant historical city no bigger than Adelaide! Osaka is only about 10 minutes from Kyoto on the bullet train.
6. The public transport - unbelievably clean and efficient (remember to buy a JR. pass in Australia)
7. Jetstar now flies direct to Japan from Melbourne. I'm sick of international flights only leaving from Sydney. At the moment Jetstar is offering 2 for 1.
8. Photographic opportunities - they abound everywhere.
9. Sumo wrestling - it only happens a few times a year and tickets go quickly. What a blast. Blink and you'll miss a fight, as they only last a few seconds. But the posturing and banter that precedes the fight is as good. An Australian sports commentator called the fights for English speaking spectators and he explained the intricacies of the sport.
10. Alcohol - I was expecting Japan to be like other Asin countries. Expensive alcohol. Not so! Beer was cheaper than in Australia, and in Kyoto we came across some of the cutest wine bars.

If you're looking for somewhere in Kyoto I can recommend Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyoto Shinmachi Bettei. It's newish and very much minimalist in style, based on a traditional Ryokan. There's no signage outside so blink and you'll miss it. I read about it on Trip Advisor and everything others had said was spot on. Also there are some fabulous bars and restaurants close to the hotel.

Last edited:
I spent 10 days in Japan in September. First time there. 10/10 experience. The Japanese are so humble and proud (unlike certain mainland neighbours). For anyone thinking of Japan as a holiday destination here are 10 bloody good reasons to go there (I love top 10 lists!!):

1. In September the time difference is 1 hour, so no jet lag!
2. The food! We did not have one bad meal. My favourite was okinimyaki served at an okinimyaki restaurant.
3. The juxtaposition of old meets ultra modern. Japan is steeped in rich history, but it has also embraced the future like there's no tomorrow.
4. Value for money. In September 2014 the exchange rate was about 95 Y to the dollar. It's still about that making it affordable.
5. Kyoto - the old capital of Japan. Any trip to Japan must include Kyoto. It is a vibrant historical city no bigger than Adelaide! Osaka is only about 10 minutes from Kyoto on the bullet train.
6. The public transport - unbelievably clean and efficient (remember to buy a JR. pass in Australia)
7. Jetstar now flies direct to Japan from Melbourne. I'm sick of international flights only leaving from Sydney. At the moment Jetstar is offering 2 for 1.
8. Photographic opportunities - they abound everywhere.
9. Sumo wrestling - it only happens a few times a year and tickets go quickly. What a blast. Blink and you'll miss a fight, as they only last a few seconds. But the posturing and banter that precedes the fight is as good. An Australian sports commentator called the fights for English speaking spectators and he explained the intricacies of the sport.
10. Alcohol - I was expecting Japan to be like other Asin countries. Expensive alcohol. Not so! Beer was cheaper than in Australia, and in Kyoto we came across some of the cutest wine bars.

Good list, Sttew - can I ask, where did you go to book your sumo tickets?

Good list, Sttew - can I ask, where did you go to book your sumo tickets?
Through a local travel agent who then went through a local Japanese wholesaler. I don't know who that was. We went for A grade second floor seats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back