Culture Turning Around

Remove this Banner Ad

So - You think they just Expected it to happen and as Usual it never happened
Not my question to answer but I will have a go.

I think a lot of players expected it to happen because it usually did. It is a subtle change. One minute you don't believe but fight like hell for the outcome. Next minute it happens, whilst you continue to fight like hell. Minute after you believe its going to happen and still keep fighting so it happens easily. Then you slack off, expect it to happen and forget the work that makes it happen. Suddenly it stops happening and there is a hell of a lot of work to be done to turn that around, to create the self belief and doubt in the opposition. Couple that with a drop off in capacity/ability - as has happened at the pies - and the journey is a long one.

All I ask is the players work as hard as they can and be socially responsible.
The second part is a huge reason why St Kilda haven't won anything, despite having the talent at times.

I don't believe for a second our culture will improve after losing Ball Maxwell Hudson Lynch and to a lesser extent Beams (who was an on field leader at least).

The character of our young kids appears to be good in the handful of interviews they have done but still far too early to say and it's certainly a huge step backwards from 2014 losing such brilliant leaders like Ball and Maxwell and brilliant trainers Lynch Beams Hudson ect.

Long term it's too hard to tell where we are headed culture wise. Recent recruiting has definitely in my mind shifted towards exemplary off field characters (with maybe 1 exception) and it's clearly been a huge concern to the club and lead to the pushing out of Shaw Wellingham and O'Brien. Guys like De Goey Moore Langdon and Scharenberg all seem to be of outstanding character to just name a few

We should have a good culture in a few years but by all reports we had a pretty dodgy off field culture in 2010 and won the premiership so...

I don't believe for a second our culture will improve after losing Ball Maxwell Hudson Lynch and to a lesser extent Beams (who was an on field leader at least).

The character of our young kids appears to be good in the handful of interviews they have done but still far too early to say and it's certainly a huge step backwards from 2014 losing such brilliant leaders like Ball and Maxwell and brilliant trainers Lynch Beams Hudson ect.

Long term it's too hard to tell where we are headed culture wise. Recent recruiting has definitely in my mind shifted towards exemplary off field characters (with maybe 1 exception) and it's clearly been a huge concern to the club and lead to the pushing out of Shaw Wellingham and O'Brien. Guys like De Goey Moore Langdon and Scharenberg all seem to be of outstanding character to just name a few

We should have a good culture in a few years but by all reports we had a pretty dodgy off field culture in 2010 and won the premiership so...

and That is the Reason that Bucks Broke up the List

Well you have to question how important "culture" really is when the WCE were full of drugs and won a flag nearly 2 in 05/06 and we were pretty dodgy in 10 and won it.
Can still have a team full of drug addicts but have a good team culture where everyone gets along and plays for each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think it's all bullshit until I see what happens out on the field. I'm sick of all the words.

Well you have to question how important "culture" really is when the WCE were full of drugs and won a flag nearly 2 in 05/06 and we were pretty dodgy in 10 and won it.

Hell, go back and look at the 1990 squad. No seriously.

Until they get on the park it is impossible to separate the pre season bubble that every club puts out there to sell memberships from the reality of talent and application which drive the results. Even then, the way the draw works out now with 18 teams, it takes a fair while for the relative strength of sides to emerge.

If we play with the right application and players don't want to leave at the end of the year then we will have stabilised the club which at this point is the most important thing.

A lot of young kids eager to please and get on, lets see how they perform when the real pressure starts. If we start the season with a few wins, all good but if it goes the other way might start to worry especially if the media starts to rip in.

It feels good to me so at this stage I'm OK with where we are at, as an outsider looking in.

I don't think those guys have completely up and left. I'm pretty sure Maxwell and maybe Ball retain some influence at the club. Hudson is up in Brisbane and I'm not sure what Lynch is doing.

I get what you are saying though. There is a huge void to fill, you can even throw Harry O in there as well, making it impossible to replace. I don't think the club is trying to replace it though. They are creating an entirely new culture and leadership model driven by the players, for the players. Whilst the loss of those guys is massive, it may work in the clubs favour as they might not have been able to transition into the new culture. Who knows?

What I can see from my loungeroom is a group of highly rated young players competing for spots in our best 22. This kind environment can only be a good thing as it will force the players to dig deep and really stretch themselves and by extension the others around them. Seeing some of the guys have the balls to stand up and take on a leadership role is even more outstanding.

A lot of young kids eager to please and get on, lets see how they perform when the real pressure starts. If we start the season with a few wins, all good but if it goes the other way might start to worry especially if the media starts to rip in.

It feels good to me so at this stage I'm OK with where we are at, as an outsider looking in.

I can Guarantee IF we lose early in the Season. The Media will be out to try and Sack Bucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back