Opinion Most Disappointing Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this has been done before (if it has, apologies!)

Who do you rate as our most disappointing players in the time you have been following Geelong, and why?

For me, a few that come to mind are:

David Spriggs - relatively high draft pick (i.e. top 20), had the looks and the leg speed, but his decline at Geelong was fairly spectacular.
Mark Blake - like his Dad, I thought - probably more hoped - he would blossom after a few years and become one of the league's best ruckmen. Never happened.
Alan Christensen - the disappointment was not form related but his sudden and unexpected departure. I don't think I know the real reason(s) he left, but can't imagine it / they were not issues that could have been resolved.

Brian Peake, only the one good season.
My take on Peake was that he could only play in the centre. Problem was we had Featherby. When he was given an opportunity in the middle he was okay.

Thought Kane Tenace was gonna be something good for your team circa '05.
Even Bomber Thompson did, declaring Tenace "off limits" when it came to trade talk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What went wrong with him. Did Cats stuff up taking him at No.1, was he injured, or what?

The story that he told me many years ago was that he had knee trouble and the club wanted him to play on with it. If I recall correctly, he then decided to get surgery anyway because it aggravated him too much . It was a long time ago (near on 18 years) and the details are a little sketchy. But a knee injury was definitely an issue.

Not sure if this has been done before (if it has, apologies!)

Who do you rate as our most disappointing players in the time you have been following Geelong, and why?

For me, a few that come to mind are:

David Spriggs - relatively high draft pick (i.e. top 20), had the looks and the leg speed, but his decline at Geelong was fairly spectacular.

If i recall correctly, he was another that had a serious knee injury.

But I am getting old and senile and could have my wires crossed with Mark Woolnough and others.

Last edited:
It was a long time ago (near on 18 years) and the details are a little sketchy. But a knee injury was definitely an issue.

But I am getting old and senile and could have my wires crossed with Mark Woolnough and others.
There's a new drug on trial that could solve your memory issues!

If i recall correctly, he was another that had a serious knee injury.

Yep,knee reconstruction for Spriggs after a day at the beach.Nothing wrong with your wires on that one,not so sure about Hooper but yes a long time ago.

Last edited:
bs_meter.gif

That post from David 'Uber' Mensch on the other hand...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/my-dream-mb-thread.24943/

Last edited:
The problem with Tenace that I saw was that he got too bulky, which killed off his main asset of pace and caused him to have persistent hamstring injuries. By the time he got past that he was out of the team and never really got another look with Wojcinski, Stokes, Varcoe & Byrnes taking up the small flanker roles in 2009 (Stokes "admitting" he wouldn't be able to play the GF notwithstanding).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back