Discussion NAFL/Reserves Feedback and Suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot stand socks, they are a pain and do not add anything to the design.
This is Dylan's argument as well and it's a stupid one on both points.

Hooped socks are a pretty dramatic change to an overall look compared with solid colour socks.

If we're not having socks, why have shorts? Why have collars and cuffs? Why not have a simple rectangle with a design drawn on it? Why bother with sponsors or numbers? They don't add any more to the design than socks do.

The socks on my template took me about 30 seconds to trace.

socks make a difference to a design on the field too. look at the ruckmen in a contest, both have their socks pulled up and it looks great, especially with a design on them.
Todd Goldstein:
solid
images-1.jpg
striped
images-3.jpg
much different, and makes the kit more complete, even helps solve a clash, notice Collingwood wearing solid black, which they wear to all home games (?) and north wearing socks with white on them to provide more of a contrast.

even pulled down you can see the design, so whoever said nobody wears them up anyway's argument is stupid.
images-2.jpg

Are you serious?

If you don't want to design parts of football uniforms, why are you entering a design competition for football uniforms? That's basically what it comes down to.

You'll be able to make socks for whatever template you're using in about 5 minutes, then change the colour and striping with a couple of clicks each time you change your design. You make it sound like we're asking you to do something really time consuming and unusual.

Logo round is the big issue.

I feel that the people who run each league should be able to reject a logo if it is a blatant copy or recolour.

This will make logo round better and much more interesting.

The logo round is a weird one.

It's not really a logo competition. It's a kit design competition. A lot of us have spent a lot of time on learning how to do logos but a lot of prominent people on this board aren't really interested in logos, despite making good quality playing strips.

It's been suggested that everyone in the top division should be required to draw a logo from scratch but I don't really agree with that because it would make it a lot more difficult for those who hadn't spent time working on their logo skills to submit a good entry, and a poor logo will affect the look of the entire kit design.

I was pretty frustrated that a logo i'd drawn from scratch lost to a recolour this season, but I couldn't be frustrated with the person I lost to because they'd submitted an entry that complied with requirements and didn't they obviously have the ability and/or the interest to do a suitable logo to match their kits.

It's also been suggested that you play off originals against originals and recolours against recolours in the logo round, but that still leaves you with the problem that people who have spent time doing originals will lose that round while people who spent much less time doing recolours will win and move up the table.

The best solution is to simply not have a logo round, IMO. It bypasses all these issues.

The logo round is a weird one.

It's not really a logo competition. It's a kit design competition. A lot of us have spent a lot of time on learning how to do logos but a lot of prominent people on this board aren't really interested in logos, despite making good quality playing strips.

It's been suggested that everyone in the top division should be required to draw a logo from scratch but I don't really agree with that because it would make it a lot more difficult for those who hadn't spent time working on their logo skills to submit a good entry, and a poor logo will affect the look of the entire kit design.

I was pretty frustrated that a logo i'd drawn from scratch lost to a recolour this season, but I couldn't be frustrated with the person I lost to because they'd submitted an entry that complied with requirements and didn't they obviously have the ability and/or the interest to do a suitable logo to match their kits.

It's also been suggested that you play off originals against originals and recolours against recolours in the logo round, but that still leaves you with the problem that people who have spent time doing originals will lose that round while people who spent much less time doing recolours will win and move up the table.

The best solution is to simply not have a logo round, IMO. It bypasses all these issues.
But then there's those people who have created logos for the competition and want them to used in a round. Why not have a one off round for those who want to submit a logo (that has to be original) that doesn't contribute to the competition but is in the timeframe. Perhaps anyone who doesn't compete has a bye that round?

No one loses or gains unnecessary points, but people can still submit logos for a long term comp that they've been working on for a while. E.g. Waikato, Wellington, my own Bass Strait etc

But then there's those people who have created logos for the competition and want them to used in a round. Why not have a one off round for those who want to submit a logo (that has to be original) that doesn't contribute to the competition but is in the timeframe. Perhaps anyone who doesn't compete has a bye that round?

No one loses or gains unnecessary points, but people can still submit logos for a long term comp that they've been working on for a while. E.g. Waikato, Wellington, my own Bass Strait etc

That's probably what i'll be doing for FIRA. I'll have a mid season fun round where everyone who has designed an original logo completely from scratch will go into a poll, but the results wont be reflected on the table. It's a good way to let people vote on logos while keeping things fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is sort of like the sock debate except Scorcho is on the opposite side. You're creating an identity for a club - why wouldn't you create a logo?

Yeah good point. I always do. I haven't recoloured a logo in years.

I guess the difference between this and the sock debate is that creating socks for a template is the easiest part of a template. If you can do the rest you can do socks. There's a big difference between the level of ability required to make socks that match your template and to make a decent logo. Both Dylan and Haro are more than capable of making socks for a their templates. Not everyone in Division 1 is capable of making a logo.

In a perfect world, I agree that we'd all be making our own logos. If E92_ put up a poll asking whether Div 1 entries should be required to create a logo from scratch, i'd be voting yes.

Could we consider universal jumper templates? Notice I didn't say generic. Reason being is if a limitation on starters ability to design is because they don't have a specific program, then we might not have a little more parity. I am neither beginning nor an expert. I do have several programs for design. However I do feel because certain templates {by manufacturer} dictate the creator's ability and program preference that can sway visual appeal. If the template is neither simple nor too advanced, then if there was a version made for each program it would ensure voting will rely mostly on visual appeal and the template itself will not be much of a factor in the appeal.

At sometime, I would like to see this across all competitions but that's besides the point. Considering the talent that the experienced designers have, the universal template should not be shunned as their effects will still stand out significantly (in some cases). In the reserves league, it was my competition to lose (not entirely from design, but for beign a little unconventional). However, imagine the Greensboro Golds in the template I use and prefer (which is pretty basic for me as an intermediate designer). The template would not do it justice. Just like if I put more detail into my Victoria River effor this past NAFL Reserves season, it would not necessarily fit the template.

I as a lesser experienced designer - despite having been around a while - don't believe the template would necessarily help me 100% though I do think it would make for closer and more interesting matchups and provide the aforementioned parity. The only thing is who will put them together? I would do it myself except for I am not familiar with every single designing platform and the ones I do have, I only know of two and a half of the four (MS Paint+Paint.Net+some Photoshop {older version} and I have Illustrator and am aware of a few others). I don't want to use what is on the board due to lack of cleanliness, but I don't want to use any particular version of jumpers used because they appear too "in-your-face". Unfortunately, we would (on top of needing one per designing platform) need at least one per manufacturer.

This is just a consideration and I in no way anticipate it to be taken too seriously.

For those discussing logos I thought I would put this link here from the Fraser Davidson skill share class.

http://www.skillshare.com/classes/d...eate-Your-Own-Team-Mascot/1492205793/projects

You can view the students work and see some of the 3-4 step processes.

May help those find some inspiration or even try something.

Also here is a little process by Studio Simon https://dribbble.com/dansimon

060.pioneersprocess.gif

Last edited:
Thoughts on the use of clash jumpers this season?

Used...

Too much.
Right amount.
Not enough.
I reckon right amount, except you probably should have used Scorcho's more, and I should have used Rabbitoh's more

should make the reserves finish before the top comp.
I was hoping it would, too. Probably my own fault in the end, for having the extended Christmas/NYE round.

This is also the NAFL Reserves feedback thread, fwiw

I thought you could have used mine more, but with only 2 other red based teams there wasn't a lot of opportunity. It lost the one time it played anyway.

I was hoping it would, too. Probably my own fault in the end, for having the extended Christmas/NYE round.

This is also the NAFL Reserves feedback thread, fwiw

Title changed to show that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back