UFC 183 - Anderson Silva v Nick Diaz

Remove this Banner Ad

Some random musings

- Anderson is not what he once was. A gimme fight (an aggresive striker with no rasslin' who has been out for 18 months and is a natural welterweight) and the spider still couldn't put him away. The top 5 at Middleweight now beat Silva (Belfort, Souza, Machida, Rockhold and Weidman) comfortably.
- The Woodley/Gastelum fight was awful
- Iaquinta showed a simple gameplan to beat Lauzon, who is tough but not smart
- Leites is still an average striker but Boetsch is more averager submission fighter
- undercard was entertaining, except Tate, she will get killed by Rousey again if she get another shot.
- Lineker doesnt get a shot at the title cause the fat bastard cant make weight, just fight at 135

Just putting it out there... Diaz is no joke .. to say Anderson is finished because he couldn't finish Diaz is ludicrous.. Diaz would give Weideman a run.

Condit was viewed as a killer and Diaz made him run.. Fighters unfortunately, for Nick, have started to fight with a strategy..

The most disappointing thing is that Diaz doesn't attempt to use his Jitsu.. His pride forces him to go toe to toe with the best strikers even though he has one of the most dangerous ground games..

Some random musings

- Anderson is not what he once was. A gimme fight (an aggresive striker with no rasslin' who has been out for 18 months and is a natural welterweight) and the spider still couldn't put him away. The top 5 at Middleweight now beat Silva (Belfort, Souza, Machida, Rockhold and Weidman) comfortably.
- The Woodley/Gastelum fight was awful
- Iaquinta showed a simple gameplan to beat Lauzon, who is tough but not smart
- Leites is still an average striker but Boetsch is more averager submission fighter
- undercard was entertaining, except Tate, she will get killed by Rousey again if she get another shot.
- Lineker doesnt get a shot at the title cause the fat bastard cant make weight, just fight at 135

Like i've said... Surely u jest.
Diaz would take it to Weidman in every category..He just didn't have the speed vs Anderson..

Either one of those two will knock that average champ off his perch

Um...nick stuck out his elbow; Anderson can throw a kick with his previously broken leg (thanks Rogan...pretty sure they would have tested that prior to the fight); Nick whinged; Anderson is the GOAT apparently (question marks over this but he misses for 15 months and now it's apparently a sure thing); Nick whinged that he didn't win and Anderson has to ask his son politely if he can fight again (he mentioned it more than punches thrown in the fight).

Go back to sleep...pretend it was a nightmare

He's not the MMA GOAT imo (see my av for that) and arguably not even the UFC GOAT, GSP would have claims to that and so would Jones now.

As for his next fight Bisping really makes more sense than a title shot, and it would probably be a pick-em fight.

Diaz would take it to Weidman in every category..He just didn't have the speed vs Anderson..

Weidman average? Ha. He is an exceptional fighter. He beats Diaz anywhere.

The problem is he wants to bang...and that's it. If you want that * off to boxing. He was s**t in his first UFC stint and he's s**t now. In his mind he's never lost so he's never felt the need to improve his game (stuck in the stockton bubble). He's been "screwed by every judge because they don't like his attitude...or whatever"

"I'll only fight for big matches or for title fights"...the nerve.

diaz career.jpg

He's not the MMA GOAT imo (see my av for that) and arguably not even the UFC GOAT, GSP would have claims to that and so would Jones now.

As for his next fight Bisping really makes more sense than a title shot, and it would probably be a pick-em fight.
Agreed, i think GSP and Jones are more relevant in the those discussions. I'd really like to see the GSP vs Anderson super fight. After yesterdays performance GSP would be licking his lips. I don't think Anderson should be in running for a title.

He'll have to ask his son though..."he cry, he say Dad no more fight" x 1000

Agreed, i think GSP and Jones are more relevant in the those discussions. I'd really like to see the GSP vs Anderson super fight. After yesterdays performance GSP would be licking his lips. I don't think Anderson should be in running for a title.

He'll have to ask his son though..."he cry, he say Dad no more fight" x 1000

GSP v Anderson would be a good one to do at the moment. I know GSP would be coming back after a layoff but I'd put the house on him to win that one.

GSP v Anderson would be a good one to do at the moment. I know GSP would be coming back after a layoff but I'd put the house on him to win that one.

definitely. I think GSP would definitely test Anderson's jujitsu because he'd be on his back for parts of it. Imagine the money it'd make both of them!

Weidman average? Ha. He is an exceptional fighter. He beats Diaz anywhere.

The problem is he wants to bang...and that's it. If you want that **** off to boxing. He was s**t in his first UFC stint and he's s**t now. In his mind he's never lost so he's never felt the need to improve his game (stuck in the stockton bubble). He's been "screwed by every judge because they don't like his attitude...or whatever"

"I'll only fight for big matches or for title fights"...the nerve.

View attachment 106434

1,2,5 vs Condit.. Even experts agree. However the fight was too close to call and still Diaz's corner was saying to him they had it in the bag... Nick needs to use his JJ

Otherwise his career is done sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1,2,5 vs Condit.. Even experts agree. However the fight was too close to call and still Diaz's corner was saying to him they had it in the bag... Nick needs to use his JJ

Otherwise his career is done sadly.
He does but he has no take down ability. Its as though he's trained in boxing and jujitsu off of his back and that's it.

The good thing for him is he's a good match up against Lombard, Brown and Lawler. They all want to trade and so does Nick

Nick should re-enter the title races in either WW or MW - there are some great matches to be had.

Anderson... Why did you sign a 10 fight contract extension again? was it your ego? He looked overwhelmingly vanilla yesterday. A GSP fight would have the same long periods of inactivity if they fought. Both would look to counterstrike and refuse to throw first.

Thoroughly enjoyed the main event. It was weird (as you'd expect for a Silva/Diaz fight), but the fight was decent and closer than you'd expect when there's 50-45 scorecards handed in. Can't remember the rounds but I thought Diaz won 1 of them and another was really close. There were 2 clear Silva rounds and the other three rounds were at least pretty close. Probably the only time I'll ever say this, that first round would have been even better if Anderson taunted back. I loved the Diaz antics early on.

I posted here how I knew what Diaz would do, but it turns out that I didn't. He wasn't as forward moving and aggressive with his striking as I expected, which was a smart thing. Anderson would probably have KO'd him if he came forward and threw everything he had. Instead, Diaz was trying to make Anderson lead, which is really smart. The interesting thing is that Anderson led quite well, which isn't something he usually does well.

Anderson not finishing Diaz doesn't mean much to me in determining whether he is what he once was. Diaz has been finished once and that was when he was a teenager. What showed me that Anderson isn't anywhere near his best is his clinch work. It's crazy that Diaz got the better of him in the clinch striking exchanges.

To be clear on this im not saying Anderson is finished or a chump etc. Im saying that he isn't a top 5 middleweight anymore. He will obviously gain alot of confidence from this fight but in the year he has been away the division has grown in legitimacy and is now one of the deepest in the UFC. Weidman has beaten him twice and i see no reason to think he wouldn't win a third fight with the spider. Jacare is a killer, his jits and aggresive and powerful striking would stitch Silva up, same with Rockhold (plus Rockhold is just a monster in terms of size at middleweight) same with Machida. Belfort is the only one im not sure about cause of the TRT. Silva still has fights left in him but the days of watching him bully and beat up on everyone are over.

^ I agree with most of that. I think Anderson could lose to most or all of the other top 5 at MW. I definitely don't want to see him facing Weidman again any time soon. I would really hate to see Belfort beat him. If Belfort gets the title they'll be putting that fight together asap. That is if Anderson decides to fight again. I wouldn't mind seeing him retire now.

I've seen this thrown around, a fight with Bisping sounds good to me. Doesn't Bisping's eye still look not quite right though? I don't want to see him fight anyone, especially someone who could bust up his face badly like Anderson, if he's risking permanent damage to his eye. I'm not sure if he is but if he is, it would be good for him to retire.

^ I agree with most of that. I think Anderson could lose to most or all of the other top 5 at MW. I definitely don't want to see him facing Weidman again any time soon.

I've seen this thrown around, a fight with Bisping sounds good to me. Doesn't Bisping's eye still look not quite right though? I don't want to see him fight anyone, especially someone who could bust up his face badly like Anderson, if he's risking permanent damage to his eye. I'm not sure if he is but if he is, it would be good for him to retire.

Agree with this. Anderson should take some "fan friendly" fights now, he is not a legit title contender (unless he wins a few of the novelty fights convincingly) Bisping, GSP, Henderson etc.

You think Weidman is a chump?

Give it a couple more years and Weidman will be in the discussion of the best P4P fighter in the world

Nick should re-enter the title races in either WW or MW - there are some great matches to be had.

Anderson... Why did you sign a 10 fight contract extension again? was it your ego? He looked overwhelmingly vanilla yesterday. A GSP fight would have the same long periods of inactivity if they fought. Both would look to counterstrike and refuse to throw first.
Disagree. GSP throws first with his constant jab (don't throw you end up like Koscheck). God I'd love to see this happen...

george anderson.jpg

You think Weidman is a chump?

Give it a couple more years and Weidman will be in the discussion of the best P4P fighter in the world
Given his record that would be perhaps 1 more fight, given its a 'couple of years' he may have a second fight.

Not sure that would put him in the p4p category. Like the guy but as it stand he'll be in the 'if they ever consistently fought' p4p deliberations. He along with Aldo, Pettis, Cain fit that too.

Lawler is creating a new category: 'I win the title then stop fighting' p4p.

Diaz is the 'I won but got robbed by the judges' p4p champ. Currently undefeated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back