BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Finally someone has come out and said speed cameras actually kill lives not save lives as we are told.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/332771/...ing-us-the-stats-say-yes/#7eYUVL9ltmPTzpMx.99
Brazilian national Nei Lima DaCosta was high on ice and drove through one fixed speed camera at 30km/h over the speed limit minutes before careering through the intersection of Warrigal and Dandenong roads at 120km/h (40km/h over the speed limit) through another speed and red light camera. He killed three innocent people. These two cameras did nothing to help save the lives of three innocent people.

The government should invest in more driver training than speed cameras to help combat poor driving and thus lower the death toll on our roads.

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Speed cameras are purely revenue raisers. Sure you might get snapped and pay the fine, but that's not going to stop you speeding the rest of the way and make the roads any safer.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Finally someone has come out and said speed cameras actually kill lives not save lives as we are told.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/332771/...ing-us-the-stats-say-yes/#7eYUVL9ltmPTzpMx.99

The government should invest in more driver training than speed cameras to help combat poor driving and thus lower the death toll on our roads.
Supply me with the drugs and I'll book the lesson and we'll see how well i navigate through peak hour traffic on the back-streets while banging 7 gram rocks

They're designed to be a deterrent and raise revenue.

If you get on ice and drive, you clearly have no regard for the rules anyway.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
At a glance, the message I'd take from that little quote is that ice takes lives, not speed cameras.

It's pretty specious reasoning, regardless. Hey, somebody drove in a dangerous fashion and fixed speed cameras did nothing about it, ergo these people were killed because of the state's investment in revenue raising technology rather than driver training - never mind the fact that the guy was high as a ******* kite.

CatMarie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Speed cameras are purely revenue raisers. Sure you might get snapped and pay the fine, but that's not going to stop you speeding the rest of the way and make the roads any safer.

Agree with these posts . I live near traffic lights that have cameras, has raised millions of dollars, but the driving before and after this intersection can be appalling. More driver training is really necessary, but so are huge more doses of common sense needing to be knocked into people, and who can do that ? :(
I just read that article. Covers a lot

So if you don't agree with a financial deterrent for speeding, what should the punishment be?

I'm happy for you to do extra driver training, as long as you pay for 75% of it - which will be a heavier financial burden than the speeding fine.

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So if you don't agree with a financial deterrent for speeding, what should the punishment be?

I'm happy for you to do extra driver training, as long as you pay for 75% of it - which will be a heavier financial burden than the speeding fine.
Wouldn't people have to pay personally for extra training? As in lessons etc? That is what I would be thinking . I know that the cameras do slow people down, mostly , in the areas they are in, same as when the radar cars are set up on the side of roads .

CatMarie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
.jpg
xSpeed_Cameras_Victoria_Opinion_3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BoLxOGSspvcC2N7HZWZJ.jpg

With an enforcement focus skewed on speed, ask yourself this question: how many speed cameras did you travel through (whether it be a fixed or mobile one) in the past month? Now, ask yourself how many times were you stopped to be tested for drugs or alcohol over the same period?
Similarly, in the past 10 years, how many times did you undertake driver training to improve your skills?
The unfortunate reality of speed camera-biased enforcement can be demonstrated with the tragic death of pedestrian Anthony Parsons and husband and wife Savva and Ismini Menelaou, who were passengers in a Ford Falcon struck at the intersection of Warrigal and Dandenong roads in Oakleigh, Victoria last year.
Brazilian national Nei Lima DaCosta was high on ice and drove through one fixed speed camera at 30km/h over the speed limit minutes before careering through the intersection of Warrigal and Dandenong roads at 120km/h (40km/h over the speed limit) through another speed and red light camera. He killed three innocent people. These two cameras did nothing to help save the lives of three innocent people.
This particular example illustrates why so much more needs to be done on enforcing and dealing with poor driving, whether it be due to drugs, lack of skills or visible policing.
Speed cameras alone will never be a useful immediate enforcement or protection tool against drivers excessively speeding, or people who don’t know how to drive to start with.

Those people that use the idiom “don’t speed and you won’t get caught” simply don’t understand the reality of driving safely. If I had the preference of watching the road or my speedometer, I know which one I would choose.
I’m of the firm belief that we need to overhaul driver training, begin properly blitzing drink and drug driving, along with scrapping low level speed enforcement. I would have no issue with being stopped twice a day for drug or alcohol testing if it meant impaired drivers were taken off the road more promptly.
We also need more transparency on where the money generated from speed cameras goes and where it should be spent. Quote.

this is some of what the author was saying

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
I don't follow this at all.

He was on ice.

Yes, cameras are revenue raisers, but to claim they kill people is another thing altogether.
Maybe not deaths, but I'd be ******* shocked if they haven't caused crashes. I spend probably 5000% more time looking at the speedo (when I could be looking at the road) in Vic compared to some other places in Aus and especially OS because they're such ******* nazis here.

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
They don't kill people, but they don't save lives either. They are just their to raise revenue.

Back