Best tall swingman in the AFL

Best tall swingman

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Westhoff rarely plays on a man in defense, it's mostly playing a loose role to sure up the defense near the end of quarters or if we are under siege. He also floats off half forward and on the wing too. Very underrated in terms of skill and agility is Justin.

Swing man isn't the term for him - a forward/utility would be more accurate. This is the same for Roughead.

The true swingmen for me, outside of its overblown use as a trendy word for commentators, are Henderson, Carlisle, Reid and Taylor. Hurley is just mediocre so who really cares where he fits.

Mate, no way does Westhoff regularly spend Half of a four quarter game, as a dedicated stopper on a key opposition tall. It just doesn't happen.

I never said he has to play a full game as some sort of qualification. Name a time when he played even half a game as a pure defender. He just doesn't do it. He floats in defence and gets some ball in the back half, but primarily plays as a pure CHF, basically like a Nick Riewoldt type (which is also very similar to Jack Gunston, who also gets more ball in the back half of the ground then you realize)

Someone like Lachie Henderson will play both as a key forward, or back for large periods at a time. Westhoff doesn't do this. Neither does Roughhead. Westhoff is far too dangerous a forward half player to spend THAT much time in defence.

My only point was that if Roughhead is excluded, so should Westhoff.

I kind of agree. Westy does spend a fair bit of time in defence, think he won just under a third of his disposals in the back half of the ground this year, but he only does so as a loose. He never plays actual KPD like Carlisle and Henderson do. Does this mean that he isn't a swingman though?

I kind of agree. Westy does spend a fair bit of time in defence, think he won just under a third of his disposals in the back half of the ground this year, but he only does so as a loose. He never plays actual KPD like Carlisle and Henderson do. Does this mean that he isn't a swingman though?
Clearly he is, the term swingman wasn't made to be so rigged.

Its quite ironic really.

Would love to see what Reid could do injury free for a season at FF.

Already has an AA CHB to his name so is a proven gun defender.

Hopefully this season we get a chance to see his best up forward.

Apart from my own club, IMO Carlisle has played some really good games in defence but I seen him dominate us first hand up forward. I reckon he has the potential to be the best on the list.

Yet to even play a game?
sarcasm-meter.jpg

Harry Taylor for me. One of the better tall defenders in the comp, and has proven he is a capable forward.

Harry Taylor for me. One of the better tall defenders in the comp, and has proven he is a capable forward.
Geelong tried this for a good half in the QF against Hawthorn and Taylor barely touched it and looked fairly lost up forward. He is a superstar defender, capable forward not so sure. Although he has kicked a few goals before doing this, albeit against poor opposition.

We all know the type, game on the line, move player x to forward line or defence or even ruck to win the game. Who's the best at it?

Lachlan Henderson (Car) - probably the one that matches his output at both ends. Good defender and good forward. Where will he play in 2015? Don't know, but he's probably the most consistent one.

Ben Reid (Col) - a lot of injuries, Reid is one of the most gifted footballers on Collingwood's list, but where to play him? Probably forward with Brown, Frost and Keefe in defence.

Jake Carlisle (Ess) - Very good hands, strong against the giants and could be excellent if he settles in one place. Still unsure of his best position.

Michael Hurley (Ess) - better defender than forward, but has shown the ability to pinch hit effectively up front this season.

Harry Taylor (Gee) - also more of a defender who can play forward, Taylor is a gun at both ends and might play more up forward next year.

Jarrad Waite (NM) - injury proned and never fulfilled his potential. Where does Brad Scott play him next year? Personally I think he should replace Grima as the #2 defender, but I may be in the minority in that.

Justin Westhoff (PA) - often swings back and saves games for Port, he does it well. Really strong overhead, good luck for goal, very accomplished player.

Adam Tomlinson, Jeremy McGovern and Josh Bruce could all be candidates for this in a few years time as well
Where's J. Roughead? 2 Essendon players? This poll is obviously rigged.:)

Would love to see what Reid could do injury free for a season at FF.

Already has an AA CHB to his name so is a proven gun defender.

Hopefully this season we get a chance to see his best up forward.

Apart from my own club, IMO Carlisle has played some really good games in defence but I seen him dominate us first hand up forward. I reckon he has the potential to be the best on the list.

He was playing on an underdone Maxwell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was he playing on a week later when he kicked 8 against the Dogs?
Jordan Roughead, Dale Morris had him for 7 out of the 8 IIRC.

What does it say about Buckley then?

Poor coaching move. Why drop the 204cm key defender against a team that has 2 of the taller key forwards and replace him with an under done player that isn't even good at that role. Move cost us the game and the rest of Maxwell's career.

Carlisle has played a couple of great games up forward. But for those couple of great games, there are 15 or so ordinary games. He either needs to get some more consistency, or stay as a defender.

Carlisle has played a couple of great games up forward. But for those couple of great games, there are 15 or so ordinary games. He either needs to get some more consistency, or stay as a defender.

Agreed but I'm happy to give him another year or two to see if he can make it as a key forward. Besides Carlisle and Hooker isn't a great combo because they have very similar strengths and weaknesses.

Back