Opinion Next saint to win the rising star?

Remove this Banner Ad

crasha301

worm farmer
Sep 21, 2014
The Farm
AFL Club
St Kilda
With all our new draftees from 2013-2014 I think theres a high chance one of them might be able to snag it in 2015 or 2016.

Im tossing up between acres and templeton.

If Eli can stay on the park this year and play 18+ thats who id put my money on.

Eli will need to avg a goal a game and 15+ possies for this to happen thou. His a player that doesn't fly under the radar with his blonde locks and exciting style of play. Into his 2nd pre-season he'll have improved his strength, conditioning and his overall understanding of how to play AFL.

players from other clubs that could win in no particular order

Petracca
zak jones
freeman
sheed
crouch
cockatoo
boyd
Hogan
brayshaw

Eli wil ave more than 1 goal 15 d.
Ill tell you now.
Take as much money as you can off the mortgage, empty out the life savings.
Hes a sure thing.

If we get 3-4 nominations this year I don't think it will really matter who wins it.

E: I'd like to see Acres win it though.

Last edited:
The thought process surrounding Acres is an odd one:

>Starts off with no one (bar a few) knowing a great deal about him, when drafted
>Barely seen due to injury, so this unknown surrounding him maintains itself
>Some WA draft watchers come on this board, talking him up as an equivalent to a top 5 pick
>People sceptical, at first
>General opinion falls in line with that of the aforementioned draft watchers
>All of a sudden everyone is rating Acres as a future solid player/gun, and a decent chance for the Rising Star, despite not showing anything different.

I'm not going to pretend that I haven't fallen into this pattern, myself, but it's an interesting observation, nonetheless.

Do you mean win the whole thing or get a nom? Don't think Blacres, Eli, McCartin or any of our other eligible players are in the right position to win the whole thing. Dunstan was our best chance of that.

Plenty of noms should be forthcoming, we should be looking at 2 min I would have thought and 4 would be a great result.

Do you mean win the whole thing or get a nom? Don't think Blacres, Eli, McCartin or any of our other eligible players are in the right position to win the whole thing. Dunstan was our best chance of that.

Plenty of noms should be forthcoming, we should be looking at 2 min I would have thought and 4 would be a great result.

I mean the whole thing, why arent they in the right position? I think its great timing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean the whole thing, why arent they in the right position? I think its great timing.
I just don't rate their chances. Blacres and McCartin are both longer term players who I don't think anyone expects to start to hit their straps until their 3rd or 4th season. Eli showed he can mix it with the big boys, but he's coming back from injury and is a lightly built bloke, I don't rate his chances of sustaining his form across a season just yet. Bearing in mind you're hoping for 15 possies 1 goal from him but across 6 games last year he went 8.2 touches and 0.7 goals.

Compare that to someone like Dunstan, an inside mid who came in with a man's body and the ability to win his own ball. From this years crop someone like Petracca is the same. I expect to see some great individual performances from our eligible guys but I would be surprised to see them maintain good enough form to take home the gong over the whole season.

I just don't rate their chances. Blacres and McCartin are both longer term players who I don't think anyone expects to start to hit their straps until their 3rd or 4th season.

What makes you think Acres falls into this category? His body is pretty much AFL size already (listed at 190cm and 87kg) and he was running 15.4 beep tests before his shoulder injury in 2013 so he has the fitness base. He had an unlucky injury last year, but didn't look out of place in the little that we saw of him.

Another preseason into him and I think he is in a good position to play 15 games this year.

The thought process surrounding Acres is an odd one:

>Starts off with no one (bar a few) knowing a great deal about him, when drafted
>Barely seen due to injury, so this unknown surrounding him maintains itself
>Some WA draft watchers come on this board, talking him up as an equivalent to a top 5 pick
>People sceptical, at first
>General opinion falls in line with that of the aforementioned draft watchers
>All of a sudden everyone is rating Acres as a future solid player/gun, and a decent chance for the Rising Star, despite not showing anything different.

I'm not going to pretend that I haven't fallen into this pattern, myself, but it's an interesting observation, nonetheless.

It's what we saw in the VFL. Looked a giant class above when he played there. The most talented player we drafted in 2013 (yes, more talented than Billings in my opinion).

What makes you think Acres falls into this category? His body is pretty much AFL size already (listed at 190cm and 87kg) and he was running 15.4 beep tests before his shoulder injury in 2013 so he has the fitness base. He had an unlucky injury last year, but didn't look out of place in the little that we saw of him.

Another preseason into him and I think he is in a good position to play 15 games this year.
What makes you think he doesn't? He has ongoing injury concerns that need to be managed, looked a fair way off at AFL level and hasn't really dominated at VFL level (yet). Bear in mind I am strictly speaking in the context of winning the rising star. I'm expecting 10-15 games from him but that won't be enough to win it. Odds on to jag a nom at some point though I'd reckon.

Eli or Goddard.

Acres doesn't have the fitness: reports of struggling endurance wise during time trials.

Eli had strong running and tackling capacity from the get go. Plus, he resembles sideshow bob who won the rising star a while back.

Goddard resembles Kosi, and chb was also the same spot from where Kosi won it.

Last edited:
I just don't rate their chances. Blacres and McCartin are both longer term players who I don't think anyone expects to start to hit their straps until their 3rd or 4th season. Eli showed he can mix it with the big boys, but he's coming back from injury and is a lightly built bloke, I don't rate his chances of sustaining his form across a season just yet. Bearing in mind you're hoping for 15 possies 1 goal from him but across 6 games last year he went 8.2 touches and 0.7 goals.

Compare that to someone like Dunstan, an inside mid who came in with a man's body and the ability to win his own ball. From this years crop someone like Petracca is the same. I expect to see some great individual performances from our eligible guys but I would be surprised to see them maintain good enough form to take home the gong over the whole season.

I don't think size will have much to do with it considering Taylor won it in 2014.

yeah his coming back from injury, but his been over that for some time now.
his stats aren't great but they are effected by the game he was injured in.

What im trying to say is out of all our players that are eligible id pick eli to be the one that could possibly win in.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back