Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Long term how do you see Websters role? Is he capable of averaging 20 possessions a game?
Definitely. Whether it's this year or next who knows but I'd say he'll be capable eventually.

Billings did get dropped, for quite a while actually

But you've probably turned me a bit with the output statement
Please don't think I'm attacking you, I just like to get facts across.
Jack played round 1 against the Dees as the sub, played the next 3 games in the VFL (the last being his 5 goal haul which pretty much won Sandy the game).
He then played St.Kildas next 15 games until he injured and ended his season against the Dogs in Round 20.

See my man Nathan Wright Pushing into the Mid Field eventually?

I think someone on here (I can't remember who it was) said that they pestered Bains enough on twitter about this and he finaly gave in and said that they see him as a mid.

Please don't think I'm attacking you, I just like to get facts across.
Jack played round 1 against the Dees as the sub, played the next 3 games in the VFL (the last being his 5 goal haul which pretty much won Sandy the game).
He then played St.Kildas next 15 games until he injured and ended his season against the Dogs in Round 20.

didnt think that at all mate! likewise, i hope you didnt...

i like the robust discussion and as i said i think you and peri have swayed me

You know who that was the pestered Ameet on twitter?

Nope, but I'm pretty sure it was a private convo so it wont turn up on his twitter feed.

Wright playing in the middle makes sense to me. He has all the attributes required to be top end inside mid and the only thing that I can tell will go against him is his foot skills.

I'd like to see some experimentation and examination in the meaningless stuff...

Something like:

FB: Roberton / Simpkin / McKenzie
HB: Webster / Goddard / Murdoch
CR: Acres / Minchington / Templeton
HF: Sinclair / White / Markworth
FF: Lonie / McCartin / Bruce
RK: Holmes / Ross / Newnes (c)
Int: Pierce / Payne / Dunstan / Saad

I think someone on here (I can't remember who it was) said that they pestered Bains enough on twitter about this and he finaly gave in and said that they see him as a mid.
Not the first time I've been told I'm not memorable! I got my answer when Ameet was answering Twitter questions on a live video stream. Next is operation Daniel McKenzie with Tommy Wigs I believe! Jimmy Webster would be interesting too.

Nope, but I'm pretty sure it was a private convo so it wont turn up on his twitter feed.

Wright playing in the middle makes sense to me. He has all the attributes required to be top end inside mid and the only thing that I can tell will go against him is his foot skills.
184 cm just the right height and has bulked up at least 3-4kgs since last playing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way Billings won't be a lock in our team this year is if he is pretty clearly out of form and/or clearly struggling physically and in need of a break. He played effectively 14.5 games last year and had 29 shots for goal (effectively 2 per game) and effectively averaged 16 possies and over 5 marks per game and used the ball better into the forward 50 than almost anyone in the league.

That was on the back of an injury affected U18 season, followed by a knee op and then a modified preseason (due to being in his first year and only 18yo) that was also cut short due to another injury, whereas as far as we're aware he has had a full preseason this year (not a modified one and not an injury affected one, touch wood) and it has been a bigger preseason overall for the whole group, plus he looks to be training in the midfield group!

So he ought to be way fitter this year than he was last year and he also of course looks significantly stronger. I imagine he would be 2nd or at worst 3rd picked in our forward line after Roo, unless he's out of form.

As for Wright, I think he would be behind Webster and definitely Savage, as long as those two are in form and fit and Geary as well of course, so I struggle to see how he fits into our best 22 at this stage, especially if Gilbo is fit and in anything like his best form.

Something has to give in our forward line as far talls go! Bruce has been moved forward
The only way Billings won't be a lock in our team this year is if he is pretty clearly out of form and/or clearly struggling physically and in need of a break. He played effectively 14.5 games last year and had 29 shots for goal (effectively 2 per game) and effectively averaged 16 possies and over 5 marks per game and used the ball better into the forward 50 than almost anyone in the league.

That was on the back of an injury affected U18 season, followed by a knee op and then a modified preseason (due to being in his first year and only 18yo) that was also cut short due to another injury, whereas as far as we're aware he has had a full preseason this year (not a modified one and not an injury affected one, touch wood) and it has been a bigger preseason overall for the whole group, plus he looks to be training in the midfield group!

So he ought to be way fitter this year than he was last year and he also of course looks significantly stronger. I imagine he would be 2nd or at worst 3rd picked in our forward line after Roo, unless he's out of form.

As for Wright, I think he would be behind Webster and definitely Savage, as long as those two are in form and fit and Geary as well of course, so I struggle to see how he fits into our best 22 at this stage, especially if Gilbo is fit and in anything like his best form.

Aussie I would have Wright in front of Geary due to his closing speed and kicking...Geary is a great trier and
courageous but he gets touched up by the quality small forwards far too often to demand his place in the side.

Gears is in the leadership group, is experienced and has just been given a new (what I imagine is a pretty substantial) 3 year contract, so I imagine he is an automatic selection at this stage, ahead of the likes of Wright. There is going to be a serious squeeze for spots in the unlikely event that everyone is fit and available though.

Wright and Gears are only competing for the same spot if they both just play that lock down small defender and I'm not convinced they will. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we see them sharing a small lock down defender and midfield rotation. But as ARR points out: there will be some serious competition for spots if we get a good run with injuries.

Personally I do. You can't teach aggression & explosive speed. You can teach skills & decision making tho, once he gets better at these he'll be a fine player
No Question! I feel he can have a sustained and prolonged career if he stays injury free and keeps improving!

Wright and Gears are only competing for the same spot if they both just play that lock down small defender and I'm not convinced they will. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we see them sharing a small lock down defender and midfield rotation. But as ARR points out: there will be some serious competition for spots if we get a good run with injuries.
From memory Geary spent some time playing as a mid early last year so I'm guessing they'll do that again to get them both in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back