Spotless Stadium (Showgrounds at Homebush)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, they ARE building a, what, 60K stadium nearby with big talk of moving BBL games there.

Umm where?

There is a tier 2 stadium to be granted either built or one of the current grounds up grade. But not near homebush and not 60k.
Will only be 35 to 45k. Its looking likely to be near the new airport as 3 of the 4 applications for the 2nd airport include a multipurpose statium. Although penrith, campbelltown and parra are pushing to be the tier 2 ground for the west.

Depends on how fast the Thunder and T20 grow. If they start getting the sort of following that applies in other states then they are going to a bigger stadium. 25,000 or thereabouts at Spotless is just not going to be enough. it might be more attractive in the short term, but it might stunt their capacity for growth too.
Nah. They need to move their now. Creates a better atmosphere. And will actually improve growth

so aside from that crowd of 32k the thunder got 15 & 12k for their two games at spotless.
hardly worth getting excited about. the Scorchers pretty much sold out every game & we don't see begging for their stadium capacity to be expanded

Well, they ARE building a, what, 60K stadium nearby with big talk of moving BBL games there.
To clarify what I was responding to.

Umm where?

There is a tier 2 stadium to be granted either built or one of the current grounds up grade. But not near homebush and not 60k.
Will only be 35 to 45k. Its looking likely to be near the new airport as 3 of the 4 applications for the 2nd airport include a multipurpose statium. Although penrith, campbelltown and parra are pushing to be the tier 2 ground for the west.
I was talking about the Scorchers, selling out all their games, and not "begging for their stadium capacity to be expanded", but they are building a 60K stadium nearby which will be courting the Scorchers to move there.

Isnt going to be a rectangular venue
No, it's going to be oval, it'll be the home ground of Fremantle and West Coast, and they want cricket in the summer.

so aside from that crowd of 32k the thunder got 15 & 12k for their two games at spotless.
hardly worth getting excited about. the Scorchers pretty much sold out every game & we don't see begging for their stadium capacity to be expanded

Still, a crowd of 32,000 isn't going to ift into a 25,000 seater stadium. They need something bigger even for that game. If they get to host a semi final I reckon they'll get well over 25,000 too. Spotless isn't going to meet there needs in the medium term, IMHO.

One solution to that is play the Thunder-Sixers game at ANZ and any finals, whilst playing remaining games at a venue that suits the crowds they will get.

Still, a crowd of 32,000 isn't going to ift into a 25,000 seater stadium. They need something bigger even for that game. If they get to host a semi final I reckon they'll get well over 25,000 too. Spotless isn't going to meet there needs in the medium term, IMHO.

the MCG has several sell outs a year, with the 25 year waiting lists for an MCC membership, the MCG capacity needs to be lifted to 150k!
Adelaide oval, had a final that was a sell out & the Crows & Power sold the venue out a few times last season, its time up renovate it to 100k
FMD seriously!

so for the possibility they get a sell out, its worth spending millions to up grade a stadium!, even though ANZ stadium is right next door:confused:

the MCG has several sell outs a year, with the 25 year waiting lists for an MCC membership, the MCG capacity needs to be lifted to 150k!
Adelaide oval, had a final that was a sell out & the Crows & Power sold the venue out a few times last season, its time up renovate it to 100k
FMD seriously!

so for the possibility they get a sell out, its worth spending millions to up grade a stadium!, even though ANZ stadium is right next door:confused:
Exactly.
No need.
We have our beloved spotless and should we make finals etc down the track or derbies sellout 5mins after going on sale, we have anz.

FMD seriously!

I was meaning for them to stay at ANZ, rather than move to Spotless permanently; not upgrading either.

A stadium of 20-25,000 is already proving too small for other teams. If the Thunder could just catch up to where other teams are now just through playing some decent cricket, they would quickly outgrow Spotless. I think moving to Spotless and being satisfied with a "nicer atmosphere" for 12,000-15,000 is going to severely limit their future growth. I think they should be aiming to average 30,000+ at ANZ, with lots of room for further growth.

I was meaning for them to stay at ANZ, rather than move to Spotless permanently; not upgrading either.

A stadium of 20-25,000 is already proving too small for other teams. If the Thunder could just catch up to where other teams are now just through playing some decent cricket, they would quickly outgrow Spotless. I think moving to Spotless and being satisfied with a "nicer atmosphere" for 12,000-15,000 is going to severely limit their future growth. I think they should be aiming to average 30,000+ at ANZ, with lots of room for further growth.

Not sure if you've been to many "things" at ANZ, but from a crowd perspective at 30,000 there is no soul or vibe and the place feels empty, way better off selling out Spotless and having people wanting to come back, esp while sellouts are rare

Not sure if you've been to many "things" at ANZ, but from a crowd perspective at 30,000 there is no soul or vibe and the place feels empty, way better off selling out Spotless and having people wanting to come back, esp while sellouts are rare

No, I live in Perth so I've never been there.

But the point is - Strikers are getting 45,000 plus at Adelaide, Perth and Hobart are selling out 20,000 seats within hours. With a catchment area 2-3 times the size, surely the Thunder can draw huge crowds. I think it is just their lack of success rather than the stadium? If they can just get a decent team together, with a couple of high-profile Sydney/NSW locals, surely the crowds would come rolling in? Is the stadium that bad that it puts off tens of thousands?

If we had a stadium that size in Perth, even one as shitty as you all say it is, I reckon we'd get it at least half full for Scorchers games. Plus we'd make a *-load of noise at the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many things are like this. We say "The Gabba in Brisbane" but it's in Wooloongabba.
The Crows STILL don't play in Adelaide, Port Adelaide are based at Alberton and played home games in West Lakes and now in North Adelaide...

Using the Homebush reference here works well as it links it to "Homebush Stadium" which is right next-door.

Somewhat like how it's technically North Adelaide Oval? :p

your examples are probably still within the LGA of Adelaide City and Melbourne City. Just like how Leichhardt Oval is in Lilyfield within Leichhardt LGA, and Campbelltown Stadium is in Leumeah within Campbelltown LGA here in Greater Sydney.

the Showgrounds and Olympic Stadium aren't, so it's lazy reference. no biggie, just pointing it out.

and no one really refers to Victoria Park as (Victoria Park at Collingwood) as in this thread title.

your examples are probably still within the LGA of Adelaide City and Melbourne City. Just like how Leichhardt Oval is in Lilyfield within Leichhardt LGA, and Campbelltown Stadium is in Leumeah within Campbelltown LGA here in Greater Sydney.

the Showgrounds and Olympic Stadium aren't, so it's lazy reference. no biggie, just pointing it out.

and no one really refers to Victoria Park as (Victoria Park at Collingwood) as in this thread title.
They'd say it's in Melbourne actually :p

North Adelaide Crows
North Adelaide Power
Subiaco Eagles
Subiaco Dockers
Moore Park Swans
Sydney Olympic Park Giants
Woolloongabba Lions
Carrara Suns
South Geelong Cats
Richmond Tigers (got one right)
Richmond Magpies