#22 Josh Kelly (Pick 2, 2013 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
JOSH KELLY

images

Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
D/O/B: 12/2/1995
Position: Mid

Josh was taken with pick 2 by the Giants and is known for his excellent endurance which was on display at the AFL Draft Combine where he won the 3 km time trial with a time of 9min 32sec (the second fastest ever in testing).

And since joining the Giants he has impressed all in his first preseason with his very professional attitude
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-02-04/inside-the-giants-josh-kelly

Last edited:
Inside the GIANTS: Josh Kelly There's one name that has been on the lips of everyone at Tom Wills Oval this summer - Josh Kelly.
  • Josh Kelly On His Debut
He’s just the ultimate professional, he lives and breathes footy.
Midfielder Adam Treloar on GIANTS number two draft pick Josh Kelly.
There’s one name that's been on the lips of everyone at the GIANTS this summer - Josh Kelly.

2013’s number two draft pick has regularly been nominated as one of the most impressive players on the track during the GIANTS pre-season. And if his teammates’ thoughts are anything to go by, it’s a name you will hear a lot more of in 2014.

“The way he’s going about his footy, on and off the field, he’s just a real professional,” said Dylan Shiel.

“As a new player, he’s really stepped up and impressed me,” chimed in fellow midfielder Tomas Bugg.

Impressive and professional are words that often come up when describing Josh Kelly.

"He’s just the ultimate professional, he lives and breathes footy,” said Adam Treloar.

Josh is the son of Phil Kelly, who played 61 games as a wingman for North Melbourne in the 1980s after crossing from Western Australia where he won two Sandover Medals for East Perth in the WAFL.

Josh grew up in Melbourne’s south east, beginning his football career as an Auskicker at East Brighton, and always knew he wanted to be a footballer.

“You see players on TV and you just watch them and you just wish you could be doing what they do someday,” he said.

JoshInsider2.jpg

A North Melbourne fan, he idolised ‘Roo Brent Harvey as a kid and then later Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury and Fremantle’s Nate Fyfe - but it is a Swans co-captain he models his game on.

“I try to play like them but probably someone more like Jarrad McVeigh, just the way he has that hard work rate, professional, he’s always working hard during games and the way he has that inside and outside footy balance, I hope to get to that one day,” he said.

No one could ever accuse Josh of not trying to get the best out of himself. At 17, when he saw pace as a limitation in his game, he hired a sprint coach and ultimately finished in the top five for repeat sprints at the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

“I like to think I’m pretty professional. I definitely know when to chill and relax but when it comes to footy I just try and switch on and make sure I’m getting the best out of myself for sure.”

Naturally, his father has also been a big influence.

“He was huge from a young age. He was also always giving me guidance. He was just a great source to bounce ideas off, seek help, he would help review my games for me, and areas of improvement,” Josh said.

“We still chat about footy, he loves footy and he’s always interested in what I’m doing so I speak to him pretty regularly about how training is going and how life is up here as well, same with Mum as well.”

JoshInsider.jpg

As a member of the AIS-AFL Academy, Vic Metro’s state side and playing for Brighton Grammar and the Sandringham Dragons, Josh has packed a lot into his football life already. But his first AFL pre-season has been a big step up.

“Just doing it week-on-week is pretty taxing but I’m loving it so far. It’s been hard but I enjoy getting up and coming to training every morning,” he said.

“I haven’t really set sights on specific games. Obviously I want to push into the team, that’s the goal, that’s why I’m here. I’m just trying to work hard at the moment and stay on the track and hopefully I can get out there.”

Josh has moved into Breakfast Point where he lives with fellow draftees Tom Boyd and Cam McCarthy, with Jake Barrett and Rory Lobb in the same building.

“It’s been a big change. We hang around a lot with each other. I mean, on our day off, we live in the same place, we’re always together. We come to training together, so we’ve been able to speak to each other about that experience so far.”

And what about the pair of orange boots Josh has been sporting that forward Adam Tomlinson says make him a “cult figure”?

“I ordered a pair of boots and they were a bit more orange than I expected. They turned out fluro so I copped a bit of flack at training ... I think they’re put away.”

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-03-28/inside-the-giants-josh-kelly#sthash.XUwSZVNJ.dpuf

NO SUBSTITUE FOR TALENT

The GIANTS eased prized youngster Joshua Kelly into his debut as the substitute, but his classy performance against St Kilda on Saturday suggests he won't be a regular in the green vest this season.

Kelly, who was recruited with pick No.2 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, was injected into Saturday's clash at Etihad Stadium deep into the third quarter and went on to win 12 possessions in 30 minutes of football.

The classy midfielder finished with six contested possessions and three inside 50s, complementing his smooth running game with a willingness to get his hands dirty.

"Playing as the sub is pretty nerve wracking, but I did a similar thing down in Wagga in the pre-season against St Kilda," Kelly told AFL.com.au.

"I had a little bit of an understanding of what it would be like sitting on the sidelines just waiting for my go, but once you get on you've just got to work hard and try to get involved.

"I've been waiting a long time for this game and to be able to share it with my family and friends who were here was pretty exciting."

Kelly, who used the ball with precision against the Saints, said his instructions from Cameron were to use his running power and get to as many contests as he could.

The Sandringham recruit said avoiding the green vest was not a consideration now that he had kick-started his career.

"I'm not going to think about that, I'm just going to train hard this week and I want get my name up for selection next week," he said.

"I'll do what I can to do that.

"I was happy, but in the end it's not about me and we wanted to get the four points.

"I'm a little bit disappointed and I look forward to next week and having a hard week on the track."

Cameron was full of praise for Kelly, whose father Phil played 61 games for North Melbourne and won two Sandover Medals for East Perth and was on hand to watch his son's debut.

"When he gets the ball he's got some great poise," Cameron said.

"When you pick your side, sometimes you strategically have a sub and other times it's used when you've got a young kid who is finding his way.

"He did his chances no harm in terms of playing again next week."

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-03-29/no-substitute-for-talent#sthash.F4ExGlXI.dpuf

Joshua Kelly a rising AFL star with GWS Giants
Date
April 8, 2014
  • Read later

Chris Wilson
1396943209438.jpg-300x0.jpg

Top gun: GWS Giants rookie Joshua Kelly has been nominated for the AFL's Rising Star award. Photo: Getty Images

The AFL's latest Rising Star nomination, Great Western Sydney midfielder Josh Kelly, could have been playing for the Melbourne Demons last weekend instead of helping to destroy them, had the Giants not made the crafty move to nab him at last year's draft.

Had his father Phil played more senior games with the Kangaroos in the 1980s, the 19-year-old could also have ended up at North Melbourne.

But Kelly, the AFL's No. 2 draft pick last year, is convinced there's no better place for a young footballer's development than being thrown in the deep end with Greater Western Sydney.

Kelly was showered in praise – and Gatorade by his teammates during their victory song – after kicking two final-term goals and finishing with 19 disposals in just his second AFL game against Melbourne last weekend, his impact influential as the Giants recorded their second win from three matches this AFL season.

The young Giants have now had 12 players receive Rising Star nominations since their debut season in 2012, but Kelly said the fresh-faced club now aspired to play like a "hard-nut team".

"It's a good start, but we can't be complacent,'' said Kelly, eyeing this Saturday's match against the Western Bulldogs in Canberra. "We've got a big game against the Bulldogs, they're coming off a good win against Richmond.

"Once I'm out on the field I try not to see myself as a rookie player, no matter how old we are, we've all got to play our role for the team. We just want to be a hard-nut team, we want to try and win contested footy, win the tackling. We want to have a hard attack on the footy."

The Melbourne Demons had second selection in last year's draft, but traded it to the Giants for Dom Tyson and later draft picks. The Giants are convinced they got the better deal with Kelly, already extending the Sandringham junior's contract to 2017.

Kelly grew up as a North Melbourne supporter, his father Phil playing 61 matches with the Kangaroos between 1981-84. The Giants play the Roos in Canberra in Round 20, North Melbourne's first trip back to the national capital since abandoning it as a home venue after 2006.

"Around the draft last year I didn't know where I was going to go, I wasn't sure if I was going to end up at Melbourne even when they had pick two,'' Kelly said.

"[Melbourne] didn't say anything to me. It wasn't until draft night I found out I was going to the Giants, I'm happy the way everything's turned out.

"Dad played 61 games, so it wasn't enough for father-son [eligibility] so it was never really something we considered.

"I was a Roos supporter, Boomer [Brent] Harvey was always a big one, being one of the gun players at North. It's pretty surreal to be playing in the AFL."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-gws-giants-20140408-zqs96.html#ixzz2yOfktffa

Ready For Impact
By Callum Twomey - AFL Media February 23, 2015 12:09 PM

CamerononKellySLIDER.jpg

Impressive GIANTS mid won't be brought down by second-year blues, says coach.

The second year is always tough, because the opposition know about you now, but with the pre-season that he's had, we're really confident he can have a good impact this year.

Leon Cameron on Josh Kelly

Josh Kelly is ready to back up his excellent debut year with an even stronger season in 2015, as Greater Western Sydney puts more responsibility on its second and third-year players.

Kelly, the No.2 pick at the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, took little time to show he will be a long-term AFL player in his debut season for the GIANTS last year.

In 18 games the left-footed midfielder averaged 17 disposals and kicked 13 goals, also underlined his standing as a future leader at the club.

GIANTS coach Leon Cameron said he expected the 20-year-old to move into a more inside midfield role in coming years, and that Kelly was well prepared for the challenges of being a second-year player.

"His first year exceeded expectation from myself and the coaching group. We always knew he had an enormous amount of ability, he showed that in his under-18 year and as a junior. But he's just got great balance, composure, and he makes really good decisions," Cameron told AFL.com.au.

"He played mostly outside last year, [on the] wing and half-forward, but eventually I can clearly see he's going to be able to play inside as well.

"The second year is always tough, because the opposition know about you now, but with the pre-season that he's had, we're really confident he can have a good impact this year."

The same applies for Lachie Whitfield. The 2012 No.1 draft choice had a difficult 2014 season dealing with shoulder and foot injuries, and didn't quite hit his peak following an excellent debut year.

Cameron said the club had seen solid development within the skilful wingman during his time on the sidelines.

"Lachie was fine in the first year and then hit a massive amount of snags in the last year," he said.

"We feel that experience that he's had, that resilience that you've got to start to show, is only going to help him going forward.

"Clearly he's a talented player, now he's got to put that hard work and energy and effort into it day-in day-out, which we're starting to see, for him to become the player we know he's going to be."

Although the GIANTS are still the youngest list in the competition, Cameron said there would be no expectations its new draftees will feature prominently in 2015.

Second-round pick Jack Steele has been a standout over the summer and appears the best placed first-year GIANT to secure game time.

But Cameron has also recently noticed No.4 pick Jarrod Pickett come out of himself at training, going on more blistering runs and beginning to back himself in the air and near goal.

"He's going to take another couple of years in terms of building his motor to adapt to AFL footy, but it takes a while for these kids to say 'Well, I better not show what I can do yet because I haven’t earned the respect from the lads'," Cameron said.

"You can clearly just see him saying 'Hey boys, this is what I can do'."

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-02-23/ready-for-impact#.dpuf

It's one of the most popular parts of the AFL Record and now each week we will bring you all you never knew you wanted to know about your favourite GIANTS players.

Pocket Profile - Josh Kelly

Your nickname:
Chook

One word to describe you:
Driven

Favourite player to watch growing up:
Leon Cameron

Who has had the most influence on your career:
My Dad

Toughest individual opponent:
Peter Chantzos

Player most likely to fall asleep in a team meeting:
Will Hoskin-Elliott

Thriftiest player at your club:
Jacob Townsend

The next big thing at your club:
James Stewart

The smartest thing you have been told:
That 9 + 10 = 21

If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be:
New York

Do you have any strange phobias:
Hard ball gets

Your can’t-miss TV shows:
Entourage

Your favourite cartoon as a kid:
Pokemon

If you had to choose another career, what would it be:
NBA Player

What do you normally eat for breakfast:
Contested marks

Your favourite holiday destination:
New York

In the movie of your life, you’d be played by:
Nicholas Cage

What are your three essential items:
Phone

Most useless thing you have bought:
Extra moves on Candy Crush

Best subject at school:
Englesh

Which big ticket sporting event would you love to attend:
UEFA Champions League Final -

Season Summary: Josh Kelly
GIANTS Media October 24, 2015 10:09 AM

KellySSSLIDER.jpg

Josh Kelly added 18 AFL games to his career tally in 2015.

Our Season Summary looks back at how each GIANTS player fared during the 2015 AFL season.

Name: Josh Kelly
Number: 22
2015 Games: 18 AFL / 4 NEAFL
AFL Fantasy Average: 73
Awards: Nil

Background: Josh Kelly was selected by the GIANTS with pick two in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft. He made his debut in Round 2, 2014.

Best Game: AFL Round 2 v Melbourne - 27 touches, 7 marks, 3 goal assists and 4 inside-50s.

Summary: After playing 18 games in 2014, Kelly backed up again with another consistent season playing through the midfield and half-forward line. The 20-year-old was omitted to the NEAFL on several occasions due to the strength of the senior side but showed his class, averaging 37 disposals in each game for the UWS GIANTS. Kelly continues to impress with his professionalism and work-ethic at training.

Pat On The Back: It’s not easy to lock down a consistent spot in the GIANTS’ midfield as Kelly learned this season. When he dropped back to the NEAFL he performed well on every occasion.

What They Said: "His first year exceeded expectation from myself and the coaching group. We always knew he had an enormous amount of ability, he showed that in his under-18 year and as a junior. But he's just got great balance, composure, and he makes really good decisions.” - GIANTS Coach Leon Cameron.

Look Ahead: Heading into his third pre-season, expect Kelly to step things up again. More experienced and fitter than ever, Kelly will push for a regular starting spot in 2016.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-10-24/season-summary-josh-kelly#.dpuf

Kelly Dominates on Day 1
Alison Zell November 9, 2015 2:09 PM

Kelly3kmPORTRAIT.jpg

Josh Kelly was a standout as the GIANTS hit the track on Monday.

Third-year midfielder Josh Kelly has dominated the first 3km time trial of the 2016 pre-season.

The GIANTS’ first to four year players returned to the track at Tom Wills Oval on Monday morning and were greeted with a gruelling 3km test in the Sydney heat after eight weeks away.

Kelly led from start to finish with a strong run, leading the field ahead of other noted runner Lachie Whitfield with Jake Barrett finishing in third.

A former number two draft pick, 20-year-old Kelly has played 36 games in his two seasons at the elite level, including 18 in 2015.

Kelly said it was a tough introduction back to training but he’s excited for 2016.

“It’s always the dreaded 3km on the first day but it’s what we set ourselves and it’s good to get it over and done with,” Kelly said.

“All the boys are looking really fit, Whitters (Lachie Whitfield) pushed me all the way. It’s a tough event and none of the boys really look forward to it but it sets us up for a good pre-season.

“Coming back into Sydney weather is always going to be a big tester but I felt pretty good and I’m setting myself for a big pre-season.”

Second-year GIANTS Pat McKenna and Caleb Marchbank rounded out the top five.

The GIANTS’ fifth year players, including the likes of Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith, Dylan Shiel and Stephen Coniglio, will return to training on Saturday with their own 3km time trial.

The club’s elder statesman, and new recruit Steve Johnson, will begin their campaign on November 23.

3km Time Trial
1 - Josh Kelly
2 - Lachie Whitfield
3 - Jake Barrett
4 - Pat McKenna
5 - Caleb Marchbank

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-11-09/kelly-dominates-on-day-1#.dpuf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved the look of Josh Kelly but he didn't seem to cement his place last year. What are his chances of locking in his place this year with the sub rule gone? Is he talented enough, or will he be pushed out?

Loved the look of Josh Kelly but he didn't seem to cement his place last year. What are his chances of locking in his place this year with the sub rule gone? Is he talented enough, or will he be pushed out?
Most of us have him best 22 in 2016. In form he is definitely that. However, like most very early on in their careers, consistency is an issue. That should fade away this year and barring injury he could be quite dominant in the midfield for us. Look for him to do a fair bit more inside work this year.

Most of us have him best 22 in 2016. In form he is definitely that. However, like most very early on in their careers, consistency is an issue. That should fade away this year and barring injury he could be quite dominant in the midfield for us. Look for him to do a fair bit more inside work this year.

I hope he comes good, I love him as a player but I felt he was a victim of midfield depth and didn't look to comfortable in the forward line, just a pure midfielder role for him I think

GWS
Josh Kelly’s backyard lessons are paying off as he cements his place in GWS line-up
April 15, 2016 8:00pm
NEIL CORDYThe Daily Telegraph

THE years of practice kicking the footy in the back yard with is dad is paying off big time for GWS young gun Josh Kelly.

His lethal left foot is now rated among the game’s elite and will be on show in Sunday’s crunch game against Port Adelaide in Canberra.

The plus 18 per cent (Champion Data) measures player’s abilities to hit targets and takes into account the degree of difficulty of kicks and the pressure a player is under when he’s kicking. Kelly is now in the top 10 per cent of midfielders in the country.

“Kicking is something I’ve always tried to make strength,” Kelly told the Saturday Telegraph.

“It’s something my dad drilled into me from a young age; he also said I needed to be able to kick with both legs.”

Kelly’s father Phil was a pretty handy instructor having won two Sandover Medals playing for East Perth in the WAFL and also playing 61 games for North Melbourne in the 1980s.

v1

Josh was clearly a good listener and is coming into his own after playing 36 games in his first two years in Sydney’s west.

“I feel a lot more confident in my third season,” Kelly said.

271f1eea8f5a6d9c3a6346204a30eb60

Josh Kelly celebrates a goal against Essendon last year. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“My third pre-season was another step up, I’ve put on another couple of kilograms and I feel a lot more confident out on the field. I’ve still got a lot of work to do but I do feel like I’ve taken a couple of steps forward.”

The Giants are sitting at 1-2 but could easily be 2-1 had they kicked more accurately in their two point round one loss to Melbourne when they had eight more scoring shots. While they were beaten by 25 points by the Swans last week they were in the match with 10 minutes to go.

Kelly says GWS have been working on closing out games over the summer.

“If you want to be a top team and you want to play in finals you have to find a way to win those games,” Kelly said.

“That’s something we’ve trained hard at this pre-season because we expect to find ourselves in a lot more close games.”

As Kelly is hitting his stride so are the Giants who now have a balanced playing list with a much better blend of youth and experience.

“We absolutely feel like we’ve made ground on the last couple of seasons,” Kelly said.

“We feel like we’ve got our structures down pat and we’ve got our structures right from playing together now we just need to get in onto the scoreboard. We need to get the wins on the board because there are 17 other teams that are all looking to improve as well.”

From The Age...

Greater Western Sydney Giants' Josh Kelly paying back club's huge investment
Date: May 18, 2016 - 7:44PM

Andrew Wu
Sports Writer

Greater Western Sydney young gun Josh Kelly has put the second-year blues behind him to become a key factor in the Giants' rise from also-rans to top-four contenders.

When one player in a team improves the overall impact it has on a team is not easily seen, but when a side has as many as six having career-best seasons, as the Giants do, then it's hard not to notice the difference.

While established stars, such as Heath Shaw, Shane Mumford and Callan Ward, have maintained their high output, it's the rise of younger players, such as Kelly, Nathan Wilson, Stephen Coniglio, Zac Williams and Rory Lobb, not to mention the maligned Tom Scully, who have taken the Giants to another level. The six also play in different thirds of the ground, helping to ensure the improvement is spread across the field.

1463564664358.jpg

Giant strides: Josh Kelly. Photo: Getty Images

The Giants paid a high price to acquire Kelly, releasing former No.3 pick Dom Tyson to Melbourne, but the big outlay is proving an astute investment, even if the player they let go is making his mark at his second club.

Kelly has taken his game up several notches in his third season, lifting his average possessions from 18 to 23 a game, while also making progress in key areas, such as clearances and entries inside 50.

An excellent left-foot kick, Kelly is now showing he can also get his hands dirty in the packs – reward for the work he has put in with coaches Lenny Hayes and Luke Power, who were both high-class midfielders during their playing days. Kelly's clearance tally of 26 after eight rounds is only six shy of his total for all of 2015.

While having a better knowledge of the team's game plan has helped, Kelly believes his improved strength has been the main reason behind his rise.

The Sandringham Dragons product has added nine kilograms to his frame since arriving at Homebush after the 2013 draft, and the extra bulk hasn't affected his running.

"My strength testing has definitely improved," Kelly said.

"I've been able to maintain my running while putting on weight, which is something I've always wanted.

"Because I wanted to play in the midfield, at the weight I rocked up at to the club it wasn't practical.

"It's something I've worked really closely with the fitness staff – they're always monitoring my weight and making sure my programs are suited to me and the way I played."

Kelly made an immediate impact in his debut season in 2014 but improved only marginally last year, much to his disappointment.

"I probably didn't take the step forward I wanted to, but I still played my role and did what I needed to," Kelly said.

"Now I want to take the next step with my footy and my goal is to be a really good player."

The Giants are on track to play in their first finals series this season, but their next four games against fellow top-eight clubs Western Bulldogs, Adelaide, Geelong and Sydney will determine how serious a contender they are.

"We want to play finals footy and there's 17 others that want to do the same – we feel we have a lot of work to do," Kelly said.

Bigger, Stronger and Better than Ever
By Adrian Warren - AAP June 2, 2016 1:37 PM

Extra weight and tips from two of the best midfielders of recent times are turning GIANTS youngster Josh Kelly into a midfield force in the AFL.

Just short of the halfway stage of the campaign, 21-year-old Kelly is on track to record career-best season tallies in the most significant categories for a midfielder.

He has been in red-hot form of late, racking up at least 26 touches in five of his last six games.

Kelly hasn't notched fewer than 17 possessions in a game all year, and his season average of 23 disposals is six higher than he achieved in the 2014 and 2015 campaigns.

Tutored by former midfield stars and GIANTS assistant coaches Luke Power and Lenny Hayes, Kelly put on three kilograms in the off-season to move to 82kg in a bid to earn more time as an inside midfielder.

"I've been a pretty light frame over the last couple of years and I think when I came to the club I was about 73(kg), so it's been a fair change," Kelly said.

"Over the pre-season I've just tried to put a bit of weight on because my goal is to eventually be an inside and outside midfielder, so I've been working on my contested ball, a few things around stoppages.

"I've been doing that with Lenny Hayes and Luke Power, just a few of the tricks they used to use when they were playing."

Kelly, the No.2 pick in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, said as a junior he prided himself in being able to play both inside and outside roles.

"But coming into AFL there's a lot bigger bodies and a lot more physicality, it's something I've had to adjust to and I feel like I'm slowly getting used to it," he said.

"The last few games have been a lot better.

"The big goal for me was while putting on weight is maintaining my running ability, because that's always been a big strength of mine."

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2016-06-02/bigger-stronger-and-better-than-ever#.dpuf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back