Why is there a Fitzroy board?

Remove this Banner Ad

thanks. the thread still floating about after 15yrs.
what seems to be confusing is where is the original team now? the VAFA or half of the Brisbane lions, as in the other half being the bears.

The CLUB (i.e. the one formed in 1883) is now in the VAFA. We're the only Australian Rules Football Club that has been the VFA, VFL, AFL and the VAFA. Hey, we're even going to be in the VWFL next year.

All the Brisbane Lions have done, is re-branded from the Brisbane Bears. Having said that though, they are Fitzroy's representatives in the AFL competition. Their job is to commemorate and celebrate 100 years of Fitzroy's VFL-AFL history in the AFL, seeing Fitzroy aren't present in that competition to do it themselves.

We do that at a lower level, but also include our VFA and VAFA history.

The CLUB (i.e. the one formed in 1883) is now in the VAFA. We're the only Australian Rules Football Club that has been the VFA, VFL, AFL and the VAFA. Hey, we're even going to be in the VWFL next year.

All the Brisbane Lions have done, is re-branded from the Brisbane Bears. Having said that though, they are Fitzroy's representatives in the AFL competition. Their job is to commemorate and celebrate 100 years of Fitzroy's VFL-AFL history in the AFL, seeing Fitzroy aren't present in that competition to do it themselves.

We do that at a lower level, but also include our VFA and VAFA history.
Thanks for clearing that up. Good to see the Lions are still well and truly alive! And although it was a shame what happened in 96 atleast they have shown fight and are still relevant today. Good on ya's

Thanks for clearing that up. Good to see the Lions are still well and truly alive! And although it was a shame what happened in 96 atleast they have shown fight and are still relevant today. Good on ya's

No problems. Fitzroy's aim is to reach the top echelons of Victorian football again. The first step will be to win a premiership in the top division of the VAFA. We're slowly getting there. Since the Club's re entry onto the football field in 2009, we've gone from essentially VAFA D-grade to B grade. 2015 will be our third season in Premier B. Hopefully we can push into the top level in the next couple of years.

No problems. Fitzroy's aim is to reach the top echelons of Victorian football again. The first step will be to win a premiership in the top division of the VAFA. We're slowly getting there. Since the Club's re entry onto the football field in 2009, we've gone from essentially VAFA D-grade to B grade. 2015 will be our third season in Premier B. Hopefully we can push into the top level in the next couple of years.
Also sponsoring/supporting our merger partner from what was basically F Grade through to D Grade before that, too!

It would be absolutely fantastic to see.

Yes to make it into the VFL would be a wonderful outcome. As an old Royboy, who now follows North, seeing the old jumper going around again in the VFL would be superb.

Impossible to ever see Fitzroy back in the AFL. Maybe when Australia's population has grown to 50m plus and the AFL and the state based competitions come to some arrangement where there is a promotion and relegation system, allowing teams to travel up and down from the national competition to the state based competitions.

But I deal in the realms of fantasy to ever suggest anything as ludicrous as that.

Yes to make it into the VFL would be a wonderful outcome. As an old Royboy, who now follows North, seeing the old jumper going around again in the VFL would be superb.

Impossible to ever see Fitzroy back in the AFL. Maybe when Australia's population has grown to 50m plus and the AFL and the state based competitions come to some arrangement where there is a promotion and relegation system, allowing teams to travel up and down from the national competition to the state based competitions.

But I deal in the realms of fantasy to ever suggest anything as ludicrous as that.
Stranger things have happened. You might need a crazy, rich guy though - any of you know Edelsten?

What would need to happen to have them admitted to the VFL?

I'm a staunch Borough man, but jeez, I'd love to see the Roy Boys rolling around Brunswick St oval in the VFL.
Money and sustained success in VAFA A Division, I'd suspect.

You might find there's a fair element of chicken and egg there. As success builds up, money would come out of the woodwork.

I'm not sure the VFL will survive for too much longer before the reserves takeover.
Interesting point. If reserves do take over, could it be a national comp and Fitzroy would have the Brisbane Lions bottom tier players?
Will there be a national reserves comp? The NRL manage it with their Under 20s. It can't be "that" expensive to run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't read the whole thread. I wonder if some kind Roys fans could elucidate whether Fitzroy could have survived to this day? I understand many Fitzroy fans would have preferred a merger with North Melbourne to Brisbane, but the club Presidents rejected this and therefore it was off the table. Brisbane offered a way to pay Fitzroy's creditors, and without creating the feared 'superteam' the club President's feared (Although ironically the Bears finished 3rd that year, and were cultivating a superteam of their own)- but progressing as a stand alone beyond '96 for Fitzroy was not an option.

Even if Fitzroy had managed to restore Brunswick Oval and negotiate a lease in the 60's, they would still have been crippled by zoning regulations. Of course they weren't alone being shafted by zones. South Melbourne were the first to go at the end of 1981. And even during Fitzroy most successful period in the modern era - at the end of 1986 - they were still flagged for possible relocation. Were set to merge at the end of 89' before the Bulldogs pulled together 2 mil. in fundraising.

What was Fitzroy's membership in the early 90's, comparative to other clubs?

Melbourne and Footscray were lucky to survive the 70's and 80's and neither club has won a flag since. It seems these clubs are viable for now and the AFL is committed to keeping these teams alive. Do Fitzroy fans have cause to be annoyed at the way the AFL has subsidised them?

South Melb relocated, and you'd have to say 30+ years later that's been a success I'm aware my own club had grave financial difficulties at the end of the 90's, most due to poor admin. But we have the advantage of being a country town away from Melbourne.

I know the outrage and disappointment of many Roys fans about how their club was 'treated' by the AFL and Ross Oakley. In hindsight how could things have been done better/differently?

I too wish Fitzroy were still in the league. Were they simply vulnerable at the wrong time or did they survive longer than they ought to have?

Last edited:
My understanding is that we were basically doomed from start with no real home ground to build a foundation upon. Our home ground was the Western Oval in '95, '96 which caused our membership to dwindle at a time where the AFL was trying to build.

96mem.jpg

Obviously this just the short answer, but I firmly believe it was a case of no ground no club

Interesting. Thanks for that. How funny that in 1992 Richmond had fewer members than Melbourne and Footscray - now there at nearly 70k?
And Sydney just 3k in 1992 - they must have been close to the abyss as well.
I think you're probably right about the lack of home base was a catalyst to their demise, by the early 90's they needed something to happen - a cashed-up backer (like Gutnick for Melb) or on-field success and it didnt. Unfortunately, lack of resources meant they couldn't retain their talent.

what if Fitzroy did end up staying in Melbourne but was called (after the merger with the Bears) the Fitzroy Bears.

I still don't get it if we are going to have a Fitzroy thread why don't we have the bears and university

If anybody is wondering who university is they were a team who were in the VFL for about 6 years
Have you read this thread? Dozens of people have come before you. All arguments are contained with in.
If you dont want to post here dont come here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back