Delisted 37. Michael Luxford (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

newgirl.gif

Not extremely intelligent, but not a total dumbass.
Couldn't care less if he was a total dumbass. All he needs to be is to be talented, prepared to work hard to make the most of those talents and stay out of trouble off the field.

Yeah he'll settle in no time. My only worry about him would be his ego, but I think we're the club to set his record straight (like we did with Motlop...and all of the players who were in "that" meeting in early 2007).

The scary thing is so few of our leaders from then are left at the club. Harley,Ling,Mooney,Scarlett, Chapman and Corey all gone. We only have 10 players on our list drafted before 2006 which includes McIntosh and Rivers.

I wonder which of our younger players will stand up this year and be included in the leadership group.

Couldn't care less if he was a total dumbass. All he needs to be is to be talented, prepared to work hard to make the most of those talents and stay out of trouble off the field.

With regards to the 'not a Mensa candidate' suggestion: it should be remembered that Joel is considered to be - quite clearly - the 'lucky he can play footy' dunce of the Selwood brothers. It means absolutely nothing.

With regards to the 'seems a bit arrogant' suggestion: Geez, can we keep it to the gossip pages? It's just standard dumb arse teenage behaviour...who cares? People do realise that the modest 'aw shucks' routine that we get when the camera is on is an act 90% of the time, right?

Michael Luxford is playing in a national basketball tournament at the moment. His team played against Dante Exum's team this morning and Luxford put up comparable stats to him. Dante Exum is projected to go top 5 in the NBA draft (if he commits) next year. Not that going off one game means anything but its fair to say hes giving up (at the very least) four years of college basketball in the states to give footy a crack so he must be somewhat confident of succeeding at AFL level.

Gee , diverse post in here. I think there has been a couple of points
The B grade Rookie is unfair to normal players... Any structured system is unfair in some way. Till they changed the rules for Rookies Pods would never have got a go.

Personally I dislike the concept of "Rookie" player but no matter what you you call it , to draft in players from other spots is highly unlikely , they have to be recruited. If we want the non-AFL players in the system it simply must come at some sort of cost. I would like to explore other ways of having players listed. Like Activated and non activated. A contracted non activated player would allow VFL types to be supported and if and when there was a need , they could be activated.

On the kid. "Mickey". Ego issue?
A kid with talent in a school environment..young , immature..its not hard to see any kid acting a bit like a self obsessed idiot. But out of school ,in to normal work , time for a bit of a wake up.
Into a AFL environment it will be a change up from school , Its still a pro sports environment so there will be a need for plenty of ego and bravado , still a bit of a boys club but he will also learn that he is not the head boy on the play ground any more. Any prancing etc would get a short shift especially when he is not the best footballer in the club. If he has any sense , he will look at a kid like Guthrie and try to emulate him.But on the whole ego is good. If controlled. Blitz would have a strong ego to do what he has done .

Michael Luxford is playing in a national basketball tournament at the moment. His team played against Dante Exum's team this morning and Luxford put up comparable stats to him. Dante Exum is projected to go top 5 in the NBA draft (if he commits) next year. Not that going off one game means anything but its fair to say hes giving up (at the very least) four years of college basketball in the states to give footy a crack so he must be somewhat confident of succeeding at AFL level.

If he thought he was any chance of making the NBA (and therefore a very good chance to earn good money in Europe if the NBA falls through), he'd still be playing basketball. There's no reason for him to be here, besides him thinking that it's the best career path to take in professional sport.

Any progress on this player?
Never hear a word about him, presume still on our list.
Not sure about these project players, but Blic is doing well, so we can only hope there is some innate talent that will get developed this year.

Not sure about these project players, but Blic is doing well, so we can only hope there is some innate talent that will get developed this year.

Vdubs there has been a little bit on him. Sounds promising for the VFL this year with some extra K's in his legs

One of my two must watch in the VFL this year with James Toohey. I do not expect either to see senior action but they can develop a massive amount this year. Luxford needs a tank and he is building it. He has skiils, is really solid on the hips and from the vision of training ive seen so far, he is running much better and more toned than last year.

I could see him as a small forwards but there were reports of him doing work with the MF group as well. Times i saw him last year he blew up very quickly and needed rotation as a result but then times he was out there he was not out of place - not bad for a bball convert.

GO Catters

One of my two must watch in the VFL this year with James Toohey. I do not expect either to see senior action but they can develop a massive amount this year. Luxford needs a tank and he is building it. He has skiils, is really solid on the hips and from the vision of training ive seen so far, he is running much better and more toned than last year.

I could see him as a small forwards but there were reports of him doing work with the MF group as well. Times i saw him last year he blew up very quickly and needed rotation as a result but then times he was out there he was not out of place - not bad for a bball convert.

GO Catters
I wonder how much of a preseason he got in last year, considering he was still playing basketball at a high level in late Feb:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-02-24/luxford-wins-national-championship

I was looking for a more recent article on his fitness, as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he had lost a bit of weight and was building fitness well over this current P/S.

wooop- here we go. Just had to look a little harder:

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/trimming-step/

Working with Scarlo? Does that mean he's eyeing a position in defence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how much of a preseason he got in last year, considering he was still playing basketball at a high level in late Feb:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-02-24/luxford-wins-national-championship

I was looking for a more recent article on his fitness, as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he had lost a bit of weight and was building fitness well over this current P/S.

wooop- here we go. Just had to look a little harder:

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/trimming-step/

Working with Scarlo? Does that mean he's eyeing a position in defence?

You answered the pre season last year question.

As for Scarlo, I did find it interesting but don't think it necessarily relates to specific ground positions but more to playing defensively on an opponent - relating to body position in contests and the like and how to use leverage rather than him being a defender per se. Like I said, one to watch in the VFL this year for sure.

Go Catters

You answered the pre season last year question.

As for Scarlo, I did find it interesting but don't think it necessarily relates to specific ground positions but more to playing defensively on an opponent - relating to body position in contests and the like and how to use leverage rather than him being a defender per se. Like I said, one to watch in the VFL this year for sure.

Go Catters
Hadn't thought of that. I just got my daily exercise- jumping to conclusions :oops:

Hadn't thought of that. I just got my daily exercise- jumping to conclusions :oops:

Clarification: With hypothetical of Lincoln McCarthy perhaps LTI, then creates spot on senior list for one of the rookies down the track possibly Apr May period. Is there different rules for Cat A versus Cat B (Luxford) Rookies. I think if you are Cat B you may not require to be elevated to play senior games eg. can play xyz amount of games (maybe six) before requiring to be elevated and not delisting anyone Whatever the rule is may sway the match committee as to who (which category rookie) replaces McCarthy.

Clarification: With hypothetical of Lincoln McCarthy perhaps LTI, then creates spot on senior list for one of the rookies down the track possibly Apr May period. Is there different rules for Cat A versus Cat B (Luxford) Rookies. I think if you are Cat B you may not require to be elevated to play senior games eg. can play xyz amount of games (maybe six) before requiring to be elevated and not delisting anyone Whatever the rule is may sway the match committee as to who (which category rookie) replaces McCarthy.

No Blitz needed a LTI. There was no issue finding one.

As it stands , where is Lux depends on our needs , if for instance if we struggle for Rucks and Lucey looks better than expected he may jump to the front. As it stands , I cant see Toohey being required with Kolo and Blitz demanding time (thats fine id be happy to see him just play the whole year at FB , learn the roll well) The injury to Linc , is more opportunistic to others , like Gore or Lang or Hartman or maybe even Cockie..the Challenge games just went up in stakes for these guys

I hadn't heard that before, cat claw. I don't think so. I understood that both A and B category rookies were governed by the same rules as far as elevation (end of year) and promotion (LTI- related) and that it is only their origin which distinguishes between them. I may be wrong- that's happened often op enough :p- so if you do find out any more info on that (ie a link or something) I'd love to read it.
Here's the link to the AFL rules- page 55 onwards covers the rookie list.

http://old.aflpa.com.au/images/uploads/AFL_Rules_-_October_2013_CURRENT.pdf

Been on this one with catempire for a while. Seems to be turning the corner at VFL level. Could be some good things happening here…

Go Catters

Been on this one with catempire for a while. Seems to be turning the corner at VFL level. Could be some good things happening here…

Go Catters

He reminds me completely of Christian Petracca (No.2 Draft Pick from last year). Kinda looks the same as well haha!
Basketball background.
Obviously Petracca had more talent than Luxford but still Luxford could surprise us as he already has with his development.
Petracca did ACL this year though so lets hope Luxford doesn't copy him completely :p

He reminds me completely of Christian Petracca (No.2 Draft Pick from last year). Kinda looks the same as well haha!
Basketball background.
Obviously Petracca had more talent than Luxford but still Luxford could surprise us as he already has with his development.
Petracca did ACL this year though so lets hope Luxford doesn't copy him completely :p

hmmm yeah the only parallel between those two I have is they are both male.

I luv the enthusiasm about Petracca but im not willing to go anywhere near that kind of comparison. just sets up failure.

I will say watching Lux his hips and core remind me of GAS in that he is very solid and thick thru the core. That was as far a parallel as I would go.

Its great to see him getting some coverage for his efforts - and I think he could be very good for us as I've been saying for a while - but he still has a long way to go. Fitness and strength are the challenges. Not sure about the talk of the senior upgrade BUT it would give him the chance to see where he is at vs where he needs to be. Great signs for him.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back