News Shane Rogers has quit Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of accusations being thrown around.

MLG wanted to beef up the recruiting dept when he came in as president, and managed to lure SoS back. The dept is restructured and SoS is made GM of list management. The club could've appointed Rogers but consider SOS a better choice to head the dept.

Rogers is not happy with the restructure and decides to quit. It's disappointing he didn't want to work within the new structure or give it a go, but it was his choice to quit.

That's it in a nutshell.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
where is the evidence that it was mathieson that made him walk?
A lot of accusations being thrown around.

MLG wanted to beef up the recruiting dept when he came in as president, and managed to lure SoS back. The dept is restructured and SoS is made GM of list management. The club could've appointed Rogers but consider SOS a better choice to head the dept.

Rogers is not happy with the restructure and decides to quit. It's disappointing he didn't want to work within the new structure or give it a go, but it was his choice to quit.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ing-worst-in-afl/story-fni5f5nx-1226857436159
Heres your evidence. Publically states that he thinks the chief recruiter is one of the most important roles, and that we need change. Neglecting the fact that we were going through change.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/carlton...ist-manager-graham-wright-20140606-zs0dr.html
Then the evidence that the Prez tried to recruit someone as list manager from a rival club - behind the clubs back.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-carlton-as-list-manager-20141211-124nly.html
Then the evidence that they finally found someone for that position, resulting in a demotion to rogers due to changes in his reporting lines, responsibility, and general position.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/rumour-f...-ikon-moves-into-carlton-20150216-13flhp.html
Then the evidence that a major supporter of the club (Visy) is starting to withdraw their sponsorship of the club. Its hardly a little known fact that the Pratts didnt necessarily see eye to eye with the Mathiesons, and LoGuidace is certainly on the Matheison side.

Tell me what im failing to comprehend in all of this?

EDIT: Also, just put yourself in rogers shoes for just a minute. Imagine being publically called out for being bad at your job (particularly when you work in a subjective field), by someone with immense power. And then your department is rearranged so you're no longer the head of the department. I don't know anyone who would continue to work in an environment like that.

Last edited:

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Why did the guy from Geelong leave after 6 months and go to Richmond? If there is a recruiters network I suspect that the comments will not be flattering. Any potential applicant will look long and hard at whether he wants to join the Blues. I just wonder if someone with the Administration is sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.

chipzac

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
It frustrates me that people are so quickly writing off that Rogers was making real inroads into building the team that we all want to see (I realise that trading pick 7 was contentious). Everyone knows that SOS is one of my ultimate faves but I'm annoyed that bringing him across is at the expense of Rogers.

My very uneducated guess is that when Rogers woke up to what was going on he said, "Golly gee, what the bugger is going on here (or words to that effect). Luckily for him, and sad for us, he didn't fall for one of the oldest tricks in the AFL club Managers for Dummies Handbook, the ol' bring-in-a-new-guy-we-want-as-our-head-of-recruiting-without-upsetting-the-old-guy-we-still-want-to-keep-but-in-a-lesser-role trick. Known as the big switcheroo where you give the old guy the great sounding title of 'National Recruiting Manager' but the new guy actually gets the job. The new guy is given the title 'List Manager' instead so as not to upset the old guy.

In retrospect, instead of Rogers accepting the role of National Recruiting Manager, maybe he should have (apart from reading the fine print in his contract) specified a job title a little less ambiguous, something like 'National, International, Interstella Manager, President and CEO of Everything to do with Recruitment Reporting Directly Only to (No Exceptions!) the One Real Big Honcho - No Kiddin'!'

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It frustrates me that people are so quickly writing off that Rogers was making real inroads into building the team that we all want to see (I realise that trading pick 7 was contentious). Everyone knows that SOS is one of my ultimate faves but I'm annoyed that bringing him across is at the expense of Rogers.
Ideally it would've been great if they found a way that both SOS and Rogers could work together, might have been a great duo.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems as though there's a bit of a divide in here re Rogers departure and that's understandable to a point but please do take special interest in reading the posting of Sin City and TGR in this thread.

I can say that after two days I'm still livid in the way we go about our business at this club.
Being ruthless may suit some people but when it's coupled up with being clueless the end results may not fall in your favour.

Explain to us why we should take special notice of Sin City and TGR and Yourself re Shane Rogers.

Do any or all of you have a connection to Rogers' network?

I know Sin and TGR watch a fair bit of junior stuff.

Would their support of Rogers be a little personal? Or do they have zero connection and just have an external , somewhat informed opinion?

TGR

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2003
here
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Explain to us why we should take special notice of Sin City and TGR and Yourself re Shane Rogers.

Would their support of Rogers be a little personal? Or do they have zero connection and just have an external , somewhat informed opinion?

I have zero personal connection with Rogers. Just heard some amazing things about what happened last year and the plan going forward. Yes thats right! There was a long term plan in place with regards to the list structure that was very well thought out. Some already played out and some still simmering away behind the scenes.

People are far too quick to align Rogers with Hughes. They are their own men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rogers does something we haven't done well at the club for years and that is to forge relationship, trust and confidence through integrity. The kids loved Rogers. The players families liked Rogers and everyone who dealt with Rogers liked him. Rogers had a clear vision and was very much his own person.

Rogers isn't perfect but he wasn't a puppet the way SOS is to MLG and as MLG is to Mathieson.
He had a plan that wasn't based on not looking good but doing good.
Seems we've thrown his plans away again for a quick fix again.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't the last of resignations. Good luck with SOS doing 170 + interviews. Skype maybe.

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes agreed it appears he saw writing on wall.
He's not stupid

In the end though we don't know for sure exactly what happened and we have to trust (hope) MLG knows what he's doing.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I mean we picked Walsh aka Bentick/Cachia 2.0 up in the rookie draft when there were some solid options available after that pick. I'd love to hear what the knocks are on blokes like Newman, Castagna, Fordham and Miller-Lewis, particularly the last 3. Castagna was right under our noses but we apparently preferred the leadership, work ethic and the ability of a mature body to stand up in a tackle of Walsh over football ability...

Are you seriously implying that Walsh is somehow inferior to those blokes? Based on what? Lets face it they are all rookie picks, not first round picks, not second round picks, not third round picks, No not even fourth or fifth round picks. Your blokes were overlooked by all teams- yet somehow they are now hidden diamonds? LOL

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ing-worst-in-afl/story-fni5f5nx-1226857436159
Heres your evidence. Publically states that he thinks the chief recruiter is one of the most important roles, and that we need change. Neglecting the fact that we were going through change.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/carlton...ist-manager-graham-wright-20140606-zs0dr.html
Then the evidence that the Prez tried to recruit someone as list manager from a rival club - behind the clubs back.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-carlton-as-list-manager-20141211-124nly.html
Then the evidence that they finally found someone for that position, resulting in a demotion to rogers due to changes in his reporting lines, responsibility, and general position.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/rumour-f...-ikon-moves-into-carlton-20150216-13flhp.html
Then the evidence that a major supporter of the club (Visy) is starting to withdraw their sponsorship of the club. Its hardly a little known fact that the Pratts didnt necessarily see eye to eye with the Mathiesons, and LoGuidace is certainly on the Matheison side.

Tell me what im failing to comprehend in all of this?

EDIT: Also, just put yourself in rogers shoes for just a minute. Imagine being publically called out for being bad at your job (particularly when you work in a subjective field), by someone with immense power. And then your department is rearranged so you're no longer the head of the department. I don't know anyone who would continue to work in an environment like that.

Sherlock homes has a new rival

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Are you seriously implying that Walsh is somehow inferior to those blokes? Based on what? Lets face it they are all rookie picks, not first round picks, not second round picks, not third round picks, No not even fourth or fifth round picks. Your blokes were overlooked by all teams- yet somehow they are now hidden diamonds? LOL
2.0 would imply he is an improved iteration of the same type.

He tested well at state screening for his athleticism, but it doesn't translate on the football field beyond his first step. Castagna and Fordham were sliders. Walsh was always a rookie prospect.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
2.0 would imply he is an improved iteration of the same type.

He tested well at state screening for his athleticism, but it doesn't translate on the football field beyond his first step. Castagna and Fordham were sliders. Walsh was always a rookie prospect.

in your humble opinion that is

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
In the opinion of most people who bothered to comment on it. I can't speak for footballing circles beyond what's circulated on forums and in the media.

He wasn't considered a ND chance well before and leading into the draft. I'd say his state screening info is a big part of what made us take a second look.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
In the opinion of most people who bothered to comment on it. I can't speak for footballing circles beyond what's circulated on forums and in the media.

He wasn't considered a ND chance well before and leading into the draft. I'd say his state screening info is a big part of what made us take a second look.
its such an easy game this recruiting , so black and white. makes you wonder why clubs bother to have paid full timers to do it

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
I'll tell you all the players we should have drafted for the next five years using my awesome retrospectoscope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back