Universal Love Port Adelaide 2015 Bushfire Appeal and Intra-Club Match

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak, Wines and Gray were all superb. The ball skills of the whole team has improved, everything was running like clockwork, definitely not as fumbly as you'd expect at this time of year. Paddy is exciting, I just want to be allowed to be excited about him! He's so strong overhead in the forward 50 and opens up the game for guys like Westhoff and Schultz.

Port won which was good :thumbsu:

My two cents on the match:
Ryder better not get suspended, he is an absolute gun. Marks and goals galore, not to mention the grey tap work.

The usual suspects were as good as ever, Boak, Ollie and Gray were fantastic all around the ground but especially in clearances. Polec was running really well and hitting all the targets and Youngy was really good in the centre as well

Krak started slow but really took it up a notch in the second half with a lot of great defensive pressure and clearances. Butch was great, clunking everything and putting the goals on the board, looked fantastic (especially the chase down from the forward 50 to tackle lobbes on the opposite 50).

Was a bit disappointed with Achee, Harvey and Amon, they did all right but didn’t really step up as much as I hoped. DBJ was solid and made a lot of smart exits from defence. Howard was really good, saw a lot of him in defence and took a few good cutoff marks. Yoey is a real smokey to get a game, looked swift and hit targets.

Westhoff was good, if a little sloppy at times. Monfries was OK, same with Mitchell and O’Shea. Clurey was rarely sighted, along with Bobby, Jasper and Hombsch (although, with defenders, not noticing them isn’t always a bad thing).

Impey looks like a beast and played very strong, Lobbes was great in ruck and around the ground, his hands and skills have improved. Stewart stepped up as well, playing more of a defensive role and was really solid.

Matt White, Ebert, Cornes and Hartlett did what they do best, but didn’t stand out. Neade was exciting as usual and Broady played well all around the ground.

I’ll add anything else if I remember, but that’s a sum up from my pov. Anyone know why Mason Shaw didn’t play?

I was tossing up whether to go or not, but did in the end. Was very glad to meet REH, Lockhard Road, Macca19, FishingRick, Ford, PeacefulWarrior, Finbarr (briefly) and maybe a couple of others.

Some things that stood out for me:

- Wines has one of the strongest hip twists in the AFL. He did one tonight, twisted around sharply, throwing a couple of bodies off like rag dolls, pivoted around, and ran in and kicked a fantastic goal. He is going to go from great to incredible this season, mark my words. BEAST.

- Good to see Ryder running around in the colours. Took some good marks up forwards and converted most of them

- Amon reminds me in looks and movements, of a young Peter Burgoyne. If he can get anywhere even close to Peter's lofty heights we have another real player on our hands

- Butch still looks shaky when he has those medium to short-range kicks on goal. Funny moment when he had the Ball and I was standing with REH and Lockhart Road - a woman turns around to REH (who seemed about to say something negative about Butch) and said "that's his mum" about the woman who was standing 2 feet in front of us.

- I noticed Neadey a few times - looks as zippy and persistent as ever - little terrier

Good to be back!

Edit - oh, forgot to mention I spoke to Rucci and gave him a Bigfooty podcast business card, given to me to disseminate to the public by FishingRick04

Last edited:
Is it just me that thinks Monfries spot is in real danger?
Most of the stuff he does, I only ever really notice on replays (eg. running from HB to FF, losing his opponent to get involved in a goal)

Wasn't there, so can't comment too much. He would be one of the more "replaceable" players though, with all the 18-25th players we have vying for a spot

Good to hear Stewart is getting noticed i hope he steps up and becomes am important and required player in this side would be a big turn around imo as he is one that would easily drop of the back of the ship if he does not.

Good to hear Stewart is getting noticed i hope he steps up and becomes am important and required player in this side would be a big turn around imo as he is one that would easily drop of the back of the ship if he does not.

Signed a two year extension, no?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Westhoff is a lad, walking off at Ht not only gave all the kids a high five but asked most of them if they're having a good time/bit of banter
Don't forget when coming back onto the field after half time. Everyone jogs out, Westhoff struts out.
Chilli oak is bad
Whoever thought chili in a flavoured milk would be a good thing, needs a good, long hard look at themselves.

Boak, Wines and Gray were all superb. The ball skills of the whole team has improved, everything was running like clockwork, definitely not as fumbly as you'd expect at this time of year. Paddy is exciting, I just want to be allowed to be excited about him! He's so strong overhead in the forward 50 and opens up the game for guys like Westhoff and Schultz.

Port won which was good :thumbsu:
Everyone seems to be saying how well Port played but it was an internal trial was it not?
I wasn't there but I take it the A side played the B side? Good signs to be playing games again but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

My thoughts in short would be:

Underwhelming.

With some vague details:

I guess the last few years has had a different level of hunger and competitive spirit in the game and this year to me it just seemed that the prime movers barely got out of first gear. The second quarter when we switched to SANFL V AFL I was disappointed at how easily the maggies boys moved the ball from end to end for goals. They would've probably ended up losing the quarter, but only just. They were definitely up 3 goals to 1 at some stage in that qtr.

Anyway on individual levels:
- Butch was clearly the story of the night, he looked good. Whether he can continue that will be anyone's guess but he clearly can still play, but I just can't see a guy who can't kick making it in this day and age of AFL.
- Johann looked ok, some real pace but he did go missing for large chunks of the game. Seems to be very much a straight line player and had his real impact taking grabs leading or running the lines. His sprinting goal was absolutely M White speed.
- Gray, Boak, Ollie all class. Ollie looked like a beast out there, was almost at times like the boys were afraid to get in his way at times too.
- Moore, P Stewart were really good.
- Ahchee had a huge last term in the Power side, didn't see much from Amon in the first 3 qtrs but he also lifted when moved to the Power side in the last.
- Ryder, exciting times. Couple nice leads, 1 decent pack mark, couple nice shots at goal. Exactly what we are hoping for at this stage. Hopefully he gets match practice in our side ASAP! Hurry up ASADA case.
- Young does some super sweet stuff around packs, IMO I'd seriously have him ahead of Monfries at the moment as he offers more in the rotation and as a small forward he is dangerous in traffic.
- Doogie has some nice hands. He didn't look out of place at all. Took a few marks when playing on Schulz and moved nicely up forward getting a couple marks. Still a long way to go, but he moves nice and you can see that Westhoff style comparison. Probably like most talls just doesn't have that sideways ability of Westy.

- Westy literally just ran around and did what he wanted in the first half. He may just be a AFL fantasy star this year If he does play that much midfield time.

- Redden, was he out there? There was a guy who looked similar to him wearing his number out there in the first half but I couldn't tell. I wasn't convinced it wasn't an SANFL player. If it was him, I'm just happy to see him running around even if he had no impact.

Other than that, I liked Louis Sharrad he moves alright. The Magpie mozzie fleet in general was pretty good, especially in the second before the Power got well on top in the last half.

Didn't see much of Krak or Impey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back