Game Day Intra Club 27/2/15

Remove this Banner Ad

If the interchange rules get any tighter there will need to be a huge improvement in Moller's running.

There won't be a place for guys who can't put in the km to get to space, the coaches won't let up on pressure required.

Less interchanges mean more athletes over footballers, less talls, more X factor from freak athlete talls.
True but the sub will go and Moller will play forward some of the time as well.

True but the sub will go and Moller will play forward some of the time as well.
Losing the sub actually means the players have to be even fitter.

21 v 21 if one is injured it's still 21 v 21. Losing that injury protection means the remainder have to get to the defensive positions more per player.

That's only my opinion of course.

For mine in the first half Hill was far and away the stand out player. I was gobsmacked by some of what he was doing - the class he oozes, his ability to make quick decisions, break away from and dart through traffic, and then execute his beautiful skills was unparalleled. Breath takingly good at times.

For the whites, seriously the 0 gamer in young Blakely was just about their best. Seriously excited by this guy. Like, seriously seriously excited! Class, poise, skill - has it all. Also a great reader of the play and clearly a quick learner cos he seemed to know where to be in terms of the structures AND where the ball was going to be. We are looking at 200+ games starting 2015 with this guy. A Doig or two in there I would imagine as well. :thumbsu:

So my $30 @$67 for rising star this year is a chance?

So who is more ahead at this stage? Tom Vandaleur or Ethan Hughes?

I think Tom is further along body wise (Hughes is a decent size though) but from what I have seen in the 2 intra club matches Hughes plays his role better than Vandaleur and we all know Ross likes role players. To be fair to Vandaleur for much of Saturdays game he was playing full back on Sandi giving away 20cm and 30kg. As much as I like Vandaleur, I can see Hughes getting a game before him. I just think his fitness isn't where it should be and he is prone to butchering the ball.

Worth reading
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-02-27/flexible-freo-warm-up-for-nab-challenge-

David Mundy has been the latest Freo star to be thrown into a different position as the team gears up for its opening NAB Challenge match against Melbourne.

Freo played its final intra-club hitout of the pre-season on Friday morning, with the purple team easily accounting for the whites.

Mundy joined Chris Mayne, Jon Griffin, Aaron Sandilands, Jack Hannath and Zac Clarke as players who have been thrown into different positions.

The Freo midfielder had a spell as a half-back during the second half and didn’t look out of place when bursting out of defence.

“All through pre-season a lot of the guys have trained in different positions to try and get a bit more flexibility throughout our team so we can do different things throughout the game,” Mundy said.

“I’ve been one of those guys that’s been thrown around a bit and I’m really enjoying it.

“It’s a different kind of facet and I started (my career) as a half-backer, so going back there has been good.”

Mundy’s move opened up an opportunity for young recruit Connor Blakely to swap to the purple team and have an impact in midfield.

Blakely as well as fellow recruit Lachie Weller, who shone in the white team’s midfield, have impressed Mundy........

That allows us to play Blakey as well !!! Sold

Losing the sub actually means the players have to be even fitter.

21 v 21 if one is injured it's still 21 v 21. Losing that injury protection means the remainder have to get to the defensive positions more per player.

That's only my opinion of course.
And it's a good opinion. I came to a similar conclusion when I thought more about it later. But having a ruckman who doesn't have to sit on the bench and go forward instead would probably be an advantage in both cases, injury or no injury maybe. It allows the midfielders to spend more time resting on the bench. Unless I haven't thought this completely through as well:)

For what it is worth this guy doesn't seem to think Sandi not being number one ruck is very feasible either. Will be very interesting to see how it goes.

FREMANTLE

No. 1

Aaron Sandilands

Rotations

Zac Clarke

Back-ups

Jonathon Griffin

Jack Hannath

In case of emergency

Craig Moller

Verdict: When Sandilands is up and going he’s nigh on impossible to stop. Not only does the AFL’s tallest player dominate the hitouts (career-high 890 last year) his placement is impeccable, finding silky-skilled Nat Fyfe on 62 occasions last year. Both Clarke and Griffin, on the comeback trail from a knee reconstruction, provide adequate back-up in the short term with Hannath and Moller available should it all go pear-shaped.

So who is more ahead at this stage? Tom Vandaleur or Ethan Hughes?
Haven't seen Hughes (although I did see the final he played in when he played for Swan Districts) but Vanderleur tends to look very shabby early in the season with his kicking and decision making usually being below par. He tends to pick up as the season goes on though. He is only 19 or 20 so we probably should give him a little time.

Quite a bit of experimentation on show again today mixed with the class of the A Graders and glimpses into the future courtesy of the new kids on the block - all covered well by other posters.

My observations:-

The Mayne Experiment– continuing to challenge him by putting him through his paces on the key forwards in Taberner last weekend and Pav today. It would seem it’s also about providing cover given the key assignments he is getting.

Forward Line Structure– Apeness did better today than last weekend but it is marginal improvement at this stage. Once he starts to clunk a few, it’ll help with his confidence. Looks a tad overwhelmed dealing with the positioning, intensity and pace of it all to me. Will really benefit with more development in these scratchies and in the WAFL. Hope Taberner’s absence is precautionary and temporary as we cannot revert to just Pav down there anymore. No stand outs when it came to pack marking up forward today. We'll be good streaming forward on fast breaks and also at the base of packs given the classy crumbers but the jury is still out on whether we have the key posts covered.

Mundy off half back – if we can afford the luxury, it’ll be great. He’s so good at reading tapwork, bursting through and delivering with dead accuracy. Still played out of the guts for a lot of it today and I think he and Sandi will resume their midfield residencies once it gets serious.

Zac vs Griff – I thought Griff out-rucked Clarke and was more than serviceable. While Clarke’s appeal is that he offers more mobility and athleticism, I’m interested in seeing how Griff’s preseason progresses - he will at least keep the pressure on which is healthy. Hannath has got a booming kick.

Silvagni – I think he’ll get a good run this year if he stays fit. Looks very solid and at home amongst the defensive group.
Sutcliffe is a gem. If Clancee and Sherro have to bide their time in the WAFL, they’ll be consistently racking up 40+ possessions for Peel.

Overall, the group looks extremely fit and benefitting from loads of ball work this preseason. But hard to gauge how we’re looking relatively speaking given the lop-sided structure of the intra club team selections and having to spread the talent. Really looking forward to the NAB Cup games to better assess the level of improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a bit of experimentation on show again today mixed with the class of the A Graders and glimpses into the future courtesy of the new kids on the block - all covered well by other posters.

My observations:-

The Mayne Experiment– continuing to challenge him by putting him through his paces on the key forwards in Taberner last weekend and Pav today. It would seem it’s also about providing cover given the key assignments he is getting.

Forward Line Structure– Apeness did better today than last weekend but it is marginal improvement at this stage. Once he starts to clunk a few, it’ll help with his confidence. Looks a tad overwhelmed dealing with the positioning, intensity and pace of it all to me. Will really benefit with more development in these scratchies and in the WAFL. Hope Taberner’s absence is precautionary and temporary as we cannot revert to just Pav down there anymore. No stand outs when it came to pack marking up forward today. We'll be good streaming forward on fast breaks and also at the base of packs given the classy crumbers but the jury is still out on whether we have the key posts covered.

Mundy off half back – if we can afford the luxury, it’ll be great. He’s so good at reading tapwork, bursting through and delivering with dead accuracy. Still played out of the guts for a lot of it today and I think he and Sandi will resume their midfield residencies once it gets serious.

Zac vs Griff – I thought Griff out-rucked Clarke and was more than serviceable. While Clarke’s appeal is that he offers more mobility and athleticism, I’m interested in seeing how Griff’s preseason progresses - he will at least keep the pressure on which is healthy. Hannath has got a booming kick.

Silvagni – I think he’ll get a good run this year if he stays fit. Looks very solid and at home amongst the defensive group.
Sutcliffe is a gem. If Clancee and Sherro have to bide their time in the WAFL, they’ll be consistently racking up 40+ possessions for Peel.

Overall, the group looks extremely fit and benefitting from loads of ball work this preseason. But hard to gauge how we’re looking relatively speaking given the lop-sided structure of the intra club team selections and having to spread the talent. Really looking forward to the NAB Cup games to better assess the level of improvement.

Agreed with Silvagni, I enjoyed his decision making and kicking/running out of defense.

Seems to me that Lyons is trying to get more flexibility. Mayne to play forward/back, Mundy Back/Mid, Sutcliffe back/mid, Fyfe forward/mid, Sandilands forward/ruck, and Crozier forward/mid. Doesn't seem a lot, but gives more flexibility with structure.

Think he's looking to perform his rotations on-field with the interchange restrictions, but needs players that can work though the various roles. Interchange will be purely for resting and rubbing down the forward line / midfielders who have the most work to do with repeat leads and running both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back