Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So New Zealand has been playing test cricket since, what, the 1960s? How come they havent got a cricket ground in their capital city?

OK, I know some of these things have been mentioned in posts following this comment, but to clear up a few things...

NZ have been playing test cricket for many many years prior to the 60's. It's just that Australia played them once in the 1945/46 season and beat them, and not played them again until 1973/74 when it was a drawn series 1 all. Other nations played them in the mean time. Australia have largely ignored playing NZ over the years for some reason.

Auckland is not the capital of NZ.

The World Cup games in NZ are being played across the country, not just at Auckland.

Some grounds are bigger than some Aussie grounds, some smaller. Like the West Indies for example.

I don't know who decided to have this game played on one of the smaller grounds, but for 2 big hitting teams at the moment, it seems lunacy.

And here is the one that completely baffles me. Unless they have relented, which I don't believe they have. For the World Cup, the ICC seem to have insisted the pitch to be 45 degrees of what it always was on that oval, meaning short boundries in front and behind the batsman, but longer to their left and right. Sort of defies the reason of playing on an oval. Strange.

Sooooooo... I just thought to myself "I wonder if I can get a legit stream of the Australia v New Zealand game to watch tonight after work?"

Then I find out that I have to get it from Rogers for $180 (plus tax).

* that. That's more than a ******* ticket would cost.

It would be an absolute disgrace if Watson is selected over a fit Faulkner...

If Faulkner is fit surely he gets in over Watson....

Man i will be pissed

The thing that has saved Watson is that he is an 'all rounder' whereas George Bailey is primarily a batsman. The Aussie selectors currently have a thing about playing at least three all rounders in the side. If Watson does not produce in this game and Faulkner is fit for the next one then Faulkner would have to come in for Watson.

Ft
And here is the one that completely baffles me. Unless they have relented, which I don't believe they have. For the World Cup, the ICC seem to have insisted the pitch to be 45 degrees of what it alwaysj was on that oval, meaning short boundries in front and behind the batsman, but longer to their left and right. Sort of defies the reason of playing on an oval. Strange.
Eden Park is not an oval

Last edited:
Our date with destiny has arrived. This is our biggest ODI since the last World Cup in India: the ramifications of a loss are huge. It could be the difference between playing a quarter final against say Ireland, or a much tougher encounter against South Africa. And if we happen to cross paths with the Kiwis again, a win today could mean a semi final in Australia instead of NZ. Come on boys!!!!!

Big win today, this game should be played at the mcg, not one of their tiny jokes.

Too many games played over there...

Big win today, this game should be played at the mcg, not one of their tiny jokes.

Too many games played over there...
Mind you, if they play all their preliminaries over there, plus a home quarter final, plus a home semi final, they'll get an almighty shock if they make it to the MCG for the final. So all these games across the ditch could actually be counterproductive for the Kiwis!!!

At least the Windies have avoided the heaviest ODI defeat: 290 runs. But they still have to make another 11 to avoid the biggest World Cup margin of 257 runs.

Oh, and they still have to make another 24 to match AB :)

Joint worst defeat and 11 behind AB. But at least they avoided the worst ODI and they beat Holder.
Went into the Port Club and South Africa were 5/330 off 47. Expected at least 360 but maybe 370-380. Never would have expected them to get 78 off the last 3 overs although in hindsight the SCG is relatively small and most swats will clear the fence. AB's innings showed the difference the MCG will make as a few of his hits would have been caught on a ground where 5 metres more was required to clear the boundary.

Even though a lot of the players can hit well over the distance required to clear the MCG boundary, having a longer boundary puts that extra doubt in their minds and they may not try the six-hit as often as they do on small grounds.

Sooooooo... I just thought to myself "I wonder if I can get a legit stream of the Australia v New Zealand game to watch tonight after work?"

Then I find out that I have to get it from Rogers for $180 (plus tax).

**** that. That's more than a ******* ticket would cost.

$180 FMD! I assume that gives you access to all of the games (?) notwithstanding half of them have been played?

So Rogers really are as big a set of bastards as I had heard!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think i might of underated NZ....:drunk::oops:
Hate to say I told you so.....

That said, there's a helluva long way to go, and the Aussies bat right down the order. Don't write off a decent score just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back