Game Day NAB Cup Game 1 - Brisbane Lions v St Kilda @ Burpengary

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there were some rushed behinds but.......couldn't have had much spare time to practice goals.

..I'm going on about it I know, but fair dinkum. Sorry, but the crux/bottom line of a game is to kick goals.........THAT should be their main practice.

..other than that, the boys look good. Love seeing Richy get the ball....bugger it, I just love seeing all our boys out there again.!

Music during the stream was annoying, but twinkle twinkle little stars was cute!:D

Last edited:
Best thing for the season is a small margin of victory against the worst team in the comp.

McStay needs to play up forward, think he and Paparone have swapped roles maybe. Hope 2nd have looks better skills wise

I actually thought background music would add to the 'match day experience' and I thnk Titus would agree!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a long summer....here we are. This looks very much like what it is - the first real game of the pre-season for most of these guys. And most of the players look a bit rusty, combinations just slightly off, skills down a bit etc when they are doing things closer to real game speed. Having said that, the team looks like they are very comfortable with each other and I don't think Leppa would be too displeased overall. McGrath has made a good start and Paparone down back looks good. It was great to see Rich, Redden and Staker out there but all look like they are going to take a couple of weeks to shake off the cobwebs.

McStay needs to play up forward, think he and Paparone have swapped roles maybe. Hope 2nd have looks better skills wise

Agreed. We desperately need a dangerous third tall to help out Close and the resting ruckman.

I know there were some rushed behinds but.......couldn't have had much spare time to practice goals.

..I'm going on about it I know, but fair dinkum. Sorry, but the crux/bottom line of a game is to kick goals.........THAT should be their main practice.

Nope, that just doesn't make sense. The crux of the game is to outscore your opponent, sure. But if we never get the ball, period, because they're not practicing midfield structures, then we can't kick goals. If we constantly get outmarked and rebounded on in the forward line, as has happened plenty of times over the last few years, because we didn't practice our forward structures, then we can't kick goals. If we're getting hammered because of no defensive structures then it doesn't matter how many goals we kick. We could kick perfectly and still lose 6.0 to 8.20. Goal kicking is really a small part of the modern game - just look how rarely goal kicking actually does make a difference on the final result of a game. It's all about outplaying your opponents, and if you do that the scoring will follow. Note: I'm not saying that goal kicking should not be practiced, I just do not think it's anywhere near the "main" practice for any of the players out there. A dead-eye forward that never gets the ball because he can't mark or gather is more useless than one who can take possession but spray it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back