Golden State Warriors thread - All Star 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Midseason Review

I have watched every Warriors game this season and decided to rank the team and players based on what they have given us (and also a ranking based on what they were expected to give us - i.e. your expectations on Rush aren't the same as Curry).

Whole Team - Grade A+ (expectation A+)

Best record in the league. Best Offensive Team. Best Defensive Team. Healthy. Enough said.

Coaching Staff - Grade A+ (expectation A+)

Kerr was given a great, but difficult situation. Obviously there was talent, but it would have been easy to have the team turn against him with the firing of the ever popular Jackson. He is keeping minutes down on the starters and got former starters to accept smaller roles. Great job.

Steph Curry - Grade A+ (expectation A+)

Favorite for the MVP, for good reasons. His shooting isn't any better than previous seasons, but he has really stepped up as a leader and a defender. Leading the lead in steals is a great showing for his improved game.

Klay Thompson - Grade A (expectation A)

Struggled into the All-star break, but was sensational before that. Still an elite defender and now a great shooter, who keeps developing his game every season.

Mo Buckets - Grade B- (expectations A)

Amazingly the 3rd leading scorer on the team. I thought at the start of the season he would be lost in the rotations with a healthy Bogut and Ezeli, plus the growing role of Green and Lee being back early in the season. He is a great bail out on offense and a great floor spreader. Offence at times can look stagnant with him out there.

Draymond Green - Grade B+ (expectations A+)

I expected him to step up a bit this year, but no where near how much he has actually improved. Favorite for DPOY and is a perfect fit for the Warriors.

Harrison Barnes - Grade B- (expectation B+)

Has been a lot better this year after a horrible second year. Great floor spreader and would score a lot more on any other team. 6 boards a game is also almost 2 more a game than his previous 2 seasons. Shooting 50% from the field and 40% from 3s.

David Lee - Grade C (expectations C-)

After averaging 20/10 like it's a done deal over the last few years, his stats are way down. Normally you would then expect a ranking in the D/F territory, but I really like the role he is playing. His per minute stats are actually about the same (scoring a little down) if not better, particularly on the defensive end (career high in steals and blocks per minute - in fact his blocks are triple his career average!).

Andre Iguodala - Grade C- (expectations D)

I still think he is the best defensive wingman in the NBA. Has great hands and is a great leader. But his offense is horrible. Shooting only 50% from the line is just embarrassing. Will be important come playoff time with it looking more and more likely that OKC will make the 8th seed.

Leandro Barbosa - Grade C- (expectations C+)

Three weeks ago I would have had him in the D/F category, but the last few weeks he's been great. He is still very quick and can get shots off in traffic. Knows exactly how to use the glass. He's also added a 3 point shot to his game, which is important to the Warriors spacing. Not great on defense.

Andrew Bogut - Grade C (expectations C)

As important as anyone and he's just doing his job. It's more important than anything that he stays healthy. Warriors are a lot better when he is out there clogging the lane. Averaging as many rebounds and blocks per minute as Anthony Davis.

Shaun Livingston - Grade C- (expectations B+)

He's been great as the backup point. His post game is also elite. Shooting over 50% when he is a jump shooter is incredible. Great addition this year.

Justin Holiday - Grade D (expectations C)

Showed a fair bit when he was in the rotation, but the Warriors are deep at the guard spot. Good depth player.

Festus Ezeli - Grade D (expectation D)

Injuries have been a problem and with Mo playing well he hasn't played much. Still looks a little lost out there. Still a few years away.

Brandon Rush - Grade D (expectations F)

I really thought he would be the 4th guard behind Curry, Thompson and Livingston, but he has hardly been sited.

My ratings

Curry - A+
Thompson - A+
Green - A+
Bogut - C+
Speights - B-
Iguodala - C+
Livingston - C
Lee - C
Holiday - C-
Barbosa - C
Rush - D-
Ezeli - D

That was an ugly game, Steph is shooting horribly from distance lately

I really hope we dont get OKC in the first round :cry:
Steph certainly had the shot going today, he confirmed what we all knew.
Congrats being 3 point champ.
Klay a brilliant effort also, we are blessed to have such a potent backcourt.

Midseason Review

I have watched every Warriors game this season and decided to rank the team and players based on what they have given us (and also a ranking based on what they were expected to give us - i.e. your expectations on Rush aren't the same as Curry).

Whole Team - Grade A+ (expectation A+)

Best record in the league. Best Offensive Team. Best Defensive Team. Healthy. Enough said.

Coaching Staff - Grade A+ (expectation A+)

Kerr was given a great, but difficult situation. Obviously there was talent, but it would have been easy to have the team turn against him with the firing of the ever popular Jackson. He is keeping minutes down on the starters and got former starters to accept smaller roles. Great job.

Steph Curry - Grade A+ (expectation A+)

Favorite for the MVP, for good reasons. His shooting isn't any better than previous seasons, but he has really stepped up as a leader and a defender. Leading the lead in steals is a great showing for his improved game.

Klay Thompson - Grade A (expectation A)

Struggled into the All-star break, but was sensational before that. Still an elite defender and now a great shooter, who keeps developing his game every season.

Mo Buckets - Grade B- (expectations A)

Amazingly the 3rd leading scorer on the team. I thought at the start of the season he would be lost in the rotations with a healthy Bogut and Ezeli, plus the growing role of Green and Lee being back early in the season. He is a great bail out on offense and a great floor spreader. Offence at times can look stagnant with him out there.

Draymond Green - Grade B+ (expectations A+)

I expected him to step up a bit this year, but no where near how much he has actually improved. Favorite for DPOY and is a perfect fit for the Warriors.

Harrison Barnes - Grade B- (expectation B+)

Has been a lot better this year after a horrible second year. Great floor spreader and would score a lot more on any other team. 6 boards a game is also almost 2 more a game than his previous 2 seasons. Shooting 50% from the field and 40% from 3s.

David Lee - Grade C (expectations C-)

After averaging 20/10 like it's a done deal over the last few years, his stats are way down. Normally you would then expect a ranking in the D/F territory, but I really like the role he is playing. His per minute stats are actually about the same (scoring a little down) if not better, particularly on the defensive end (career high in steals and blocks per minute - in fact his blocks are triple his career average!).

Andre Iguodala - Grade C- (expectations D)

I still think he is the best defensive wingman in the NBA. Has great hands and is a great leader. But his offense is horrible. Shooting only 50% from the line is just embarrassing. Will be important come playoff time with it looking more and more likely that OKC will make the 8th seed.

Leandro Barbosa - Grade C- (expectations C+)

Three weeks ago I would have had him in the D/F category, but the last few weeks he's been great. He is still very quick and can get shots off in traffic. Knows exactly how to use the glass. He's also added a 3 point shot to his game, which is important to the Warriors spacing. Not great on defense.

Andrew Bogut - Grade C (expectations C)

As important as anyone and he's just doing his job. It's more important than anything that he stays healthy. Warriors are a lot better when he is out there clogging the lane. Averaging as many rebounds and blocks per minute as Anthony Davis.

Shaun Livingston - Grade C- (expectations B+)

He's been great as the backup point. His post game is also elite. Shooting over 50% when he is a jump shooter is incredible. Great addition this year.

Justin Holiday - Grade D (expectations C)

Showed a fair bit when he was in the rotation, but the Warriors are deep at the guard spot. Good depth player.

Festus Ezeli - Grade D (expectation D)

Injuries have been a problem and with Mo playing well he hasn't played much. Still looks a little lost out there. Still a few years away.

Brandon Rush - Grade D (expectations F)

I really thought he would be the 4th guard behind Curry, Thompson and Livingston, but he has hardly been sited.
Great work mate.

You are on the mark, one of the reasons we have done so well is how many guys have exceeded expectation.
Steps improved his D and turnovers but already was at a very high level.
Klay is an A+ against his expectation, did we really think his game could be this well rounded offensively while maintaining his D, all so quickly.
Same with Draymond, he has been incredible as has Harrison's return of confidence compared to a poor year where he was lost last year.
As much as D.Lee and Iggy would have failed to meet expectation the fact that they can play off the bench due to Green and Barnes has helped fix what was a rubbish bench last year.
Mo Speights was very average last year and really frustrating, but this year his mid range shooting has been a key factor in winning more than a few games.
Even Holiday contributing meaningful minutes is a bonus.
So six guys on the roster exceeding expectation would explain our rise as not too many teams could boast such a figure (Atlanta maybe).
I haven't watched every game but would have seen 30 plus games and bits and pieces or highlights of the others.
Get some funny looks watching league pass in the lunch room at work...

I'll be in San Fransisco during the last week of the regular season, so I'm looking at heading to Oracle Arena for a Warriors home game.

My two choices are GSW vs Memphis or vs Minnesota....obviously hoping to go to the Memphis game if I can get good tickets for reasonable prices as that should be the better match up.

My question is for those who have been to a game, at Oracle Arena in particular - where's the best place to sit? Hoping to spend no more than $120 - so clearly I'll be up in the nosebleeds, which isn't ideal but won't be too bad if I've got the right angles.

I'll be in San Fransisco during the last week of the regular season, so I'm looking at heading to Oracle Arena for a Warriors home game.

My two choices are GSW vs Memphis or vs Minnesota....obviously hoping to go to the Memphis game if I can get good tickets for reasonable prices as that should be the better match up.

My question is for those who have been to a game, at Oracle Arena in particular - where's the best place to sit? Hoping to spend no more than $120 - so clearly I'll be up in the nosebleeds, which isn't ideal but won't be too bad if I've got the right angles.

Memphis is definitely the pick of the games as by that time of the season Minny will be in "offseason approaching mode". My only concern with a game so late in the season is that the Warriors/Memphis might be resting player if their playoff position is already sorted out.

I'm in LA at the end of March, so thinking about seeing the Warrior/LAC game.

Wonder if we make any moves in the coming days

Is a David Lee trade necessary to free up space to sign Draymond next season?

Think Lee could be really handy from the bench come Playoffs I don't think GSW need anything in a trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really see the need to trade Lee atm. That will be more of an issue in the off season. We should be able to go over the cap to sign Draymond (?) so we'll have until the next trade deadline to see if there are any takers for him.

I guess it depends on how much the FO value Lee, and if any teams will take Lee without having to give up draft picks (like the Biedrens trade). We'd only have to pay the lux tax for one season, possibly having enough cap room to sign another free agent if the cap goes up as expected in 2016 and Lee comes off the books.

That Cavs game was pretty horrible though. We never looked like we were in it.

Having said that, LeBron was on fire, The Splash Brothers played horribly (Outside the first quarter Curry had his worst game of the season), them making 19 more free throws and it was on their home court, to only lose by 11 means things aren't too bad.

That Cavs game was pretty horrible though. We never looked like we were in it.

Having said that, LeBron was on fire, The Splash Brothers played horribly (Outside the first quarter Curry had his worst game of the season), them making 19 more free throws and it was on their home court, to only lose by 11 means things aren't too bad.
Spot on, Lebron at his best, us on a big road trip and shots not dropping.
In a seven game series, hypothetically the NBA Finals... Each teams best and worst will flip flop with somewhere in the middle being the norm, on that basis I like our chances.
Oh and take note of the response vs the Raptors, very nice performance although gee they sucked in the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back