2015 NAB Challenge - Bulldogs v Richmond, Western Oval, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers lost Bulldogs won.
Its pre season and teams use it for different reasons.
We used it to unearth some kids the dogs used it to gather some form into season proper. I dont see why people look at these results with any grain of salt.

IMO i would rather play kids and lose then play our best and lose someone to a season ending injury.

I feel for Libba. If hes season is over then he and the doggies are the real losers out of this. Hopefully its only a PCL and not an ACL.
you dont think they werent also looking to unearth some kids. i dont get such blinkered comentary you hear what the media says and like a parrot espouse what they say.
they actually played more kids than us. thing is for them it was more thru neccesity.

Bontempelli is a class above, really stood out today.

Was happy with the effort and tenacity of some blokes who I could not even recognise, and Chris Knights looked right at home on the HFF flank again; good to see.

did it really stand up or did the dogs just not take their chances.
just for the record the wb had 15 players aged 22 or under at the start of this h/a season today. we played 12.

yes with the loss of so many experienced players they will be bottom 4 even a contender for the spoon. but unlike us they acknowledge where their list is at and they are very much in rebuild with a huge priority on getting games into juniors.

us well we have aspirations on the 8 if i believe some of my fellow supporters top 4 it aint going to happen.
we are a middling side and we desperately need to find half a dozen players at a minimum just to stay a 7th - 12th. side yet alone think we can become a top 4 team.

one saving grace is a few of the kids showed some good glimpses but thats it. it will take some time for them to properly develop.
i can only see knights if he stays injury free, lambert and hunt forcing some of the mediocre hacks out atm.

you know the dogs let an underperformer like jones go yet we have similar in no show bob vickery, and hang onto him. for as long as we fail to move these
6 7 yr duds on we will only ever go as far as middling ie 7th 8th.
Comparison for today's players.

Richmond:
  • Avg Games = 32
  • Avg Age = 22yrs 8mths

Western Bulldogs:
  • Avg Games = 65
  • Avg Age = 24yrs 1mth
Get your facts right santa.

Comparison for today's players.

Richmond:
  • Avg Games = 32
  • Avg Age = 22yrs 8mths

Western Bulldogs:
  • Avg Games = 65
  • Avg Age = 24yrs 1mth
Get your facts right santa.
my facts are spot on. you post dribble . simple fact is the wb played 15 players who were 22 or under. we played 12. please you look ghood on stats tell us all if that is wrong maybe i missed a wb kid or two.

hmm what are you saying exactly. the fact the dogs played two or three 30 yr olds that blows out their ave age and games played.
i keep on hearing we played a shed load of juniors which is correct. but ffs so did the wb more in fact.

my facts are spot on. you post dribble . simple fact is the wb played 15 players who were 22 or under. we played 12. please you look ghood on stats tell us all if that is wrong maybe i missed a wb kid or two.
Their kids had a lot more experience than ours. If you can't work that out then it's no point arguing. That was their full strength team. So what if they had lots of kids? Sure they have got upside but that is it. We had our best out. They maybe older, but we are at a different point in development. That is obvious to all, except you.

Their kids had a lot more experience than ours. If you can't work that out then it's no point arguing. That was their full strength team. So what if they had lots of kids? Sure they have got upside but that is it. We had our best out. They maybe older, but we are at a different point in development. That is obvious to all, except you.
im not arguing i debate.what do you call a lot more exerience. i would have thought inexperience is inexperience.
what some of their kids have had a yr or two mate plenty of ours have too. a blind man can work that out. and if your going to be so blinKerd your right its not worth DEBATING. why do you need TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR OUR MOB.

hmm what are you saying exactly. the fact the dogs played two or three 30 yr olds that blows out their ave age and games played.
i keep on hearing we played a shed load of juniors which is correct. but ffs so did the wb more in fact.
They only played 10 under 22

They only played 10 under 22
are you sure son. i suggest you go look again.wallis, bontompelli, boyd, dalhaus, darley, hamling,honeychurch,hrovat,hunter,johannisen,jong,liberatore,macrae,prudden,stringer, talia,

your right im wrong it was 16. sheesh my bad.

Not that this matters at all, it's preseason and the lists are at completely different places, more showing this since it adds context to both sides performances (numbers are not inclusive of previous figures)

Age Comparison
Richmond
- Under 20 = 6
- Under 21 = 3
- Under 22 = 3
- Above 26 = 5

Western Bulldogs
- Under 20 = 2
- Under 21 = 6
- Under 22 = 2
- Above 26 = 6

Games Comparison
Richmond
- 0 games = 8
- Under 50 = 9
- Under 100 = 6
- Under 150 = 2
- Above 150 = 0

Western Bulldogs
- 0 games = 2
- Under 50 = 12
- Under 100 = 7
- Under 150 = 1
- Above 150 = 4

are you sure son. i suggest you go look again.wallis, bontompelli, boyd, dalhaus, darley, hamling,honeychurch,hrovat,hunter,johannisen,jong,liberatore,macrae,prudden,stringer, talia,

You might need to learn the difference between 22 and 23
22 and 0 days is 22
22 and 1 day is under 23

My 2c

Standouts for me:

Dogs
- Lin Jong looks ready to have a break out year and has exceptional athleticism.
- Redpath ran hard and presented all day. Looking at his effort today you get the feeling dogs fans might be right in saying that they won't miss Jones.
-Bontempelli looks ready to make the transition to becoming a full time midfielder and is going to be a stupidly big unit when he fills out.
- Hamling. The dogs have found one here.

Richmond
- Miles looks ready to build on and improve on his break out year.
- Elton could be set for a breakout year.
- Vlastuin is hard as nails. I still want to see what be can do as an inside midfielder.
- Knights is a wild card for Richmond this year IMO.
Unfortunately, Elton probably don't get a game unless Chaplin gets injured.

Not that this matters at all, it's preseason and the lists are at completely different places, more showing this since it adds context to both sides performances (numbers are not inclusive of previous figures)

Age Comparison
Richmond
- Under 20 = 6
- Under 21 = 3
- Under 22 = 3
- Above 26 = 5

Western Bulldogs
- Under 20 = 2
- Under 21 = 6
- Under 22 = 2
- Above 26 = 6

Games Comparison
Richmond
- 0 games = 8
- Under 50 = 9
- Under 100 = 6
- Under 150 = 2
- Above 150 = 0

Western Bulldogs
- 0 games = 2
- Under 50 = 12
- Under 100 = 7
- Under 150 = 1
- Above 150 = 4
so how would you like to have that translated. maturity and experience at the end of it all they fielded more juniors. oh but wait their juniors had showed enough to actualy get afl games.
You might need to learn the difference between 22 and 23
nope you might need to learn to read posts. the season starts on april 2 or ius it 3. anyone whos birthday is before the 2/4/15 is where my cut off point is. the start of the afl season which is the official way ages are done.
so today rich v wb they had 15 players aged 22 or under we had 12. i didnt set the criteria the media did under 23s.
bloody hell 21 22 23 how far do you want to nit pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so how would you like to have that translated. maturity and experience at the end of it all they fielded more juniors. oh but wait their juniors had showed enough to actualy get afl games.

nope you might need to learn to read posts. the season starts on april 2 or ius it 3. anyone whos birthday is before the 2/4/15 is where my cut off point is. the start of the afl season which is the official way ages are done.
so today rich v wb they had 15 players aged 22 or under we had 12. i didnt set the criteria the media did under 23s.
bloody hell 21 22 23 how far do you want to nit pick.
You're the one nitpicking, I'm just providing the information and pointing out your falicies at the same time
A player turning 23 this year has been in an AFL team for 4-5 years, with 5-6 preseasons behind them, how much time do you want to give them?

Am l the only thinking who cares, it's the nab cup and first game of the year. If we judged teams on that, essendon would be premiers for most of them.
I think the majority don't care, but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to discuss the game

lol at the tigers supporters clutching at straws, matter of the fact is, the richmond team as a whole had a much longer time to get use to hardwick's game plan.

And the most important question still hasnt been answered, your depth squad should still spank a bottom five team from the previous year (minus Griffen, Cooney, Higgins) by 40+. Previous top 4 challengers have done it (Hawks, Syd, Geelong, Freo, Port), why cant Richmond who is suppose to be challenging for top 4 do it?

I have read some crazy posts not based in facts, Santas come to mind but you friend take the cake lol. We had 80% of the side who either had one pre season or 2 under Hardwick. We only played 5 starting 22 players and you expect a team whos majority have never played a senior game or those who have played 20 or less to beat a team your own coach said was one of the strongest you could field ? lol. I would be worried why it took you to very late in the 4th to put them away....also, you lot were a lot more familiar with the ground as well and all of our side have never played there before.

Anyway, was stoked today. It showed me that we have had some really good kids coming through which will hold us in good stead when out 16 missing core players come back in. Also the best bit, Knights looked really good!

If you watched the game Boyd was played up the ground and in the ruck. Redpath was given the deep forward role.

Any 19 year old key forward will struggle with 2-3 men hanging off him. But this helped others like Redpath get free.
Boyd did not have 2 or 3 hanging off him. He had Elton when he wasn't in the ruck for all the game. 3rd man up only came in when the ball was kicked to a pack situation. Good story tho.

That's true if you had Martin and Cotchin today you probably would of won

Maybe, im not sure :p

If we had of had Martin,Rance,Deliedio, Shane Edwards,Conca,Brandon Ellis,Cotchin,Astbury,Chaplin,Jack Reiwoldt,Griffiths,Ivan Maric and Foley then maybe, just maybe it would have been a closer game :p

A lot will hinge on Jack Riewoldt for Richmond this year.

Both sides' main key forwards from today all have played less than 10 games. Redpath and Boyd were the best of the four while McBean/McKenzie couldn't hit the scoreboard against one of the league's worst defences from last year. McKenzie was even given a gift in the goalsquare and couldn't convert.

You realise that McKenzie did not come on till the middle of the Third quarter right ? Also you realise that both McKenzie have never played a senior afl game right ? My god, grats you guys won but you think from some of you, you won a game with 4 pts on the line with evenly matched sizes....funny stuff lol

"under 22" means less that 22...Not currently 22.

6 of those you list are 22, therefore DrMike was right to say 10 *UNDER* 22 and you were wrong to say there was 15.

No that's fine, the nit picking about age and exp is getting a bit over the top.
Agree on the nit picking, NAB is always going to be unbalanced as teams aim to take out different things from it
Richmond will be happy with what they got out of today, Western Bulldogs should be happy with what they got out of today other than Libba (hopefully it's not a season), that's pretty much it

We honestly had nothing to lose this game so it's hard for the Doggies, we could have lost by 70 and it wouldn't have been an issue because our main aim was to just give the kids a run and expose them to AFL level so they can see how much they need to improve their fitness, skills and composure by in order to make it at that level. We also gain valuable insight into who from our next tier is pushing for a senior place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back