Autopsy NAB 1 vs Bulldogs @ Whitten Oval - Saturday 4:30pm, February 28

MVP: Select up to 5 players

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they are **** heads who love richmond being s**t.

One of my best mates is like that, but in annoying way that he doesn't want to talk them down to me so i finds round about ways of doing it. Get a msg from at the end of the game craping on about how the bullies have went past us. I replied with the list of 14-15 who weren't playing then replies with we've got no forward line and dimma is overrated so it doesn't matter who is out.

But he is a Dees fan who worships the ground Roo's walks on.
How'd you manage to find one of those? Thought they were extinct

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Just finished watching replay, a few observations:

- You really have to question the value of the Dogs playing their best team. What is the value of guys like Libba running around in a game in late February? Not how I would coach, and glad we rested.
- Butler showed a couple of glimpses of class, didn't get a lot of it but stood out when he did.
- Menadue looks far off ready.
- McKenzie did a couple of handy things late.
- Hampson was really terrible, gave away some bad free kicks and his tap work was poor.
- Good to see McBean get involved, he did some good things, amongst a couple of mistakes.
- Morris might play as a defensive forward this year.
- Thought the defense held up well. Batchelor, Vlastuin, Elton were good, although it was against a pretty weak forward line.

Last edited:

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought Hammer had a serviceable game.
Dominated the ruck and positioned well around the ground.
Even scrambled on the ground a few times.

He's never going to be our no. 1 ruck. But he had a decent game today against a strong and experienced ruck in Minson.
I thought he did pretty well. Always knew he could win tap outs, but he was good at ground level too. Surprised me.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep and it was our bench that signalled for the stretcher quickly. If you watch the replay it seems Libba did it possibly a fraction before being tackled. As Dimma said hope he's ok no one likes to see good players miss playing, especially like that...
He certainly did. If you watch it from the front, his left quad, shifted too far from the lower leg and you can see the excessive movement. He was just going too fast to stop on a dime unfortunately.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I thought he did pretty well. Always knew he could win tap outs, but he was good at ground level too. Surprised me.
Hampson does a few good things, he dropped back and took a grab and was serviceable at times. But it's not enough to make up for the terrible mistakes he makes. On two occasions he had an uncontested tap that went straight to the Dogs. And then twice during tackles he gave away a push in the back, leading to 2 dogs clearances.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
38 hitouts (21 Minson) 6 possies all contested and 3 clearances, 3rd in the DT and our number one in SC, not a bad days effort for a first up hitout.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Hampson does a few good things, he dropped back and took a grab and was serviceable at times. But it's not enough to make up for the terrible mistakes he makes. On two occasions he had an uncontested tap that went straight to the Dogs. And then twice during tackles he gave away a push in the back, leading to 2 dogs clearances.
He made mistakes like ALL players did today, but imo he wasn't as bad as what you said in a previous post. I thought he was more active at ground level I have seen before. So while he isn't that flash I thought he did pretty well, compared to him last year. I thought he beat big Will. He should have got about 3 or 4 free for pushing in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Just a few random thoughts:

Batchelor - was great today, definitely in my best 22. He's great defensively, a natural leader and when he executes his disposals well, they're effective as hell. How was that laser pass in the first quarter that split the ground down the centre. Sublime. He's fiercely competitive too. I just cannot understand why we persist playing him as a KPD/lock down defender, often on much larger opponents?? IMO he's at his best when involved in creating play. We were light on for KPDs today, fair enough, but hopefully Dimma releases him to a more attacking role in future as I believe that's his forte.
Grimes - shaky to begin with but warmed into the game nicely. He's one I can really see taking another step this year in terms of overall game. He's always been excellent defensively and we've seen glimpses of a strong attacking instinct in him. If he bundles it all together while (most importantly) staying fit, he'll be a good player for us. Just so versatile.
Elton - was not expecting such composure and good execution from him. He's purely a negating defender, not unlike Astbury, but having another effective stopper on the list can only be a good thing. Don't need him to attack much anyway - we'll get enough rebound from Rance, Grimes, Batchelor, Chaplin and our fleet of small defenders.
Lennon - I'm left feeling a bit in purgatory about him after today. He's obviously got skill to burn, but I question his work ethic and competitive instinct. I suspect he's a bit soft and can be prone to laziness. Maybe as his tank builds he'll improve but I've not got particularly high hopes.
Miles - ******* gun. Love this guy in every sense of the word.
Vlastuin - As above. How was that passage of play where he crashed in 3 times in a row and won a free kick. Would love to see him in the midfield. I can't remember seeing him in the centre square at all today which was a bit disappointing. Hopefully as the year progresses he'll get more midfield minutes and we see him become the genuine bull we all know he can be.
Drummond, Menadue, Butler, Castagna, Short, McKenzie - all these freshmen showed a glimpse or two of their talents. Chuck Ellis in, and I suspect we may have had an excellent draft last year.

Rich o man

All Australian
Oct 19, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
Richmond
BOG for me, showed real pace and class throughout the game, didn't miss a beat. 9 disposals, 5 marks and 2 goals.

With those stats he must be a reincarnation of Robbert Klomp. But I don't think the highlight of Chris Knight's Wikipedia entry will be the day he won a TV set for being BOG. with less than 10 disposals.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbert_Klomp

No injuries - check
Solid hitout - check
Good look at the kids - check
3/4 of the best 22 still to come back in - check

Exactly what I wanted to see from yesterday. Looking forward to seeing the game in 2 weeks with all the guns back in the side to see how we go.

Back