Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Should read his theory on how KT and Kochie have done zero re the stadium deal and it's all Fagan.

Never said KT and Koch did nothing. All I said is that Koch and KT are happy with what Rooch has reported has been done. And that deal still sees the SANFL as big winners.

Fagan is in no rush to sign up on that deal which still gives the SANFL the upper hand, ie their funds are guranteed and our club has no gurantee of funds but has to work to maintain crowds. As reported by Rooch. I am hoping that Fagan can see this and the hold up from our end is him getting a better deal for our clubs.

BTW you never gave me an example of where Koch and KT had a real win over the SANFL.

This first AO deal was found to be a dud and the SANFL were the big winners and you guys have adopted our (SANFL approved) Reserves Team rules.

Just give me one example where you guys had a real win over the SANFL.

It was only last week he was claiming clubs only sign members for the money.

What else does membership do for an AFL club. Is it not a primary source of funding for the club?

For us members it gives us a sense of involvement in the club. For the club it is funding.

Never said KT and Koch did nothing. All I said is that Koch and KT are happy with what Rooch has reported has been done. And that deal still sees the SANFL as big winners.

Fagan is in no rush to sign up on that deal which still gives the SANFL the upper hand, ie their funds are guranteed and our club has no gurantee of funds but has to work to maintain crowds. As reported by Rooch. I am hoping that Fagan can see this and the hold up from our end is him getting a better deal for our clubs.

BTW you never gave me an example of where Koch and KT had a real win over the SANFL.

This first AO deal was found to be a dud and the SANFL were the big winners and you guys have adopted our (SANFL approved) Reserves Team rules.

Where have the crows said they aren't happy. All we've heard is nothing is signed yet. The way I've heard it the afl clubs are where they want to be - or as close as they are going to get and the deals not signed as the afl/sanfl are fluffing around the edges on their own stuff (perhaps the afl review)

Personally I won't be happy until the sanfl get nothing out of Adelaide oval and everything they take from the afl clubs is documented.

I note there is a bye in the sanfl reserves comp. are the crows not fielding a side ? I thought the model was the same. Bit hard to feel like a club when your top up players don't play together. Our models are still different. [win for port]

Port last year got a reserves side, they play home games and have a different recruitment model with academies. [win for port]

Are the crows still 'borrowing' top up players from its opponents ? [win for port]

Last edited:
What else does membership do for an AFL club. Is it not a primary source of funding for the club.

Nah, I'd say afl funding and sponsorship is the biggest income.

I've been to games when we were s**t and not pulling a crowd, and games last year.
Having done that it's plainly clear members mean and contribute more to a club than $ - especially if your supporters are engaged.

The port club is a community facility - it's does more than just pull money out of supporters. The stuff our club does around Anzac Day is not for money. We weren't a club that said 'what's in it for us' and I suspect your clubs learnt it's lesson and won't say that again either.

Where have the crows said they aren't happy. All we've heard is nothing is signed yet. The way I've heard it the afl clubs are where they want to be - or as close as they are going to get and the deals not signed as the afl/sanfl are fluffing around the edges on their own stuff (perhaps the afl review)

Personally I won't be happy until the sanfl get nothing out of Adelaide oval and everything they take from the afl clubs is documented.

I note there is a bye in the sanfl reserves comp. are the crows not fielding a side ? I thought the model was the same. Bit hard to feel like a club when your top up players don't play together. Our models are still different.

Port last year got a reserves side, they play home games and have a different recruitment model with academies.

Fagan said at our AGM that we are in no hurry to sign off. Koch said on AA a couple of weeks ago he is happy with the deal. That is the contrast in the two clubs.

Retaining your Academy side is the one win? Something that has very little impact on the AFL operations of your club, The deal paraded as a win a couple of weeks ago is a clear win for them. This is the thing that is crippling your club, and yet again the SANFL will come out winners.

I think we all agree that the SANFL should not generate the most revenue from Adelaide Oval.

Nah, I'd say afl funding and sponsorship is the biggest income.

I've been to games when we were s**t and not pulling a crowd, and games last year.
Having done that it's plainly clear members mean and contribute more to a club than $ - especially if your supporters are engaged.

The port club is a community facility - it's does more than just pull money out of supporters. The stuff our club does around Anzac Day is not for money. We weren't a club that said 'what's in it for us' and I suspect your clubs learnt it's lesson and won't say that again either.

None of that relates to buying a membership. My point is the act of being a member provides the club with funds. The context of my post on the Crows board was that membership revenue is more important than a raw figure on a club website.

None of that relates to buying a membership. My point is the act of being a member provides the club with funds. The context of my post on the Crows board was that membership revenue is more important than a raw figure on a club website.

Membership relates to engagement. It all related to engagement.

I note there is a bye in the sanfl reserves comp. are the crows not fielding a side ? I thought the model was the same. Bit hard to feel like a club when your top up players don't play together. Our models are still different. [win for port]

Port last year got a reserves side, they play home games and have a different recruitment model with academies. [win for port]

Are the crows still 'borrowing' top up players from its opponents ? [win for port]

Yeah, merging as one club with one structure, the Magpies getting home games and the ability to sell memberships and day tickets is an unfathomable win, but you know, derp gon' derp.

Fagan said at our AGM that we are in no hurry to sign off. Koch said on AA a couple of weeks ago he is happy with the deal. That is the contrast in the two clubs.

Retaining your Academy side is the one win? Something that has very little impact on the AFL operations of your club, The deal paraded as a win a couple of weeks ago is a clear win for them. This is the thing that is crippling your club, and yet again the SANFL will come out winners.

I think we all agree that the SANFL should not generate the most revenue from Adelaide Oval.

Of course all the SANFL player stuff is a win - or multiple wins. Our club respects that competition and is playing it to win..... I don't, and if you look at sanfl forums, most sanfl club people don't believe your club does.

Let's see what Fagan changes. Of course it's a bit hard because we also don't know what the deal is as it currently sits. We've heard ballparks but let's face it, we haven't, and won't see finer details.

You want to know why Koch is happy with the deal and Fagan is in 'no hurry'? Because Fagan is astute and knows that your position as number one is under severe threat, and in order to combat against a potential Port Adelaide premiership in the next few years, the AFC needs guaranteed funding not to drown in debt from s**t like your training facilities at West Lakes or your laughable mausoleum museum. Whereas Koch knows our window is open and has no qualms in signing a deal that will be reviewed again in 2019 with Adelaide now having to be the ones to do the heavy lifting in terms of negotiating a better deal.

The contrast in the two clubs is our prospects for the future. One club is gunning for a premiership. The other is struggling to keep its head above water in a football sense, lurching from coach to coach in a desperate attempt to maintain its relevance to the people in this state, let alone on the national stage.

To be fair it would take Roo a little longer to read the long words. There's your hold up.

WTF? How about playing AFL at Adelaide Oval! Left to the SANFL and the Crows we'd both still be playing at Footy Park, Port would be at risk of going under, Adelaide's crowds would be 10k lower at least and you'd be posting an even bigger loss.

Port had to push and push and push to get Adelaide Oval off the ground. Now everything couldn't be accomplished at once in regards to the stadium deal, we had to hold the SANFL (and Adelaide's) hands to get them out of their myopic vision of what SA footy is. If you don't recognise AFL at AO as a massive win by Port over the SANFL (with Adelaide riding our coattails) then just bugger off, as nothing short of Whicker reading a public confession that he was the second shooter on the grassy knoll and he's only coming forward now as Port found out would do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its taken about 5.95 years but the West Horsham s**t fight has finally hit this thread.

Nah. One idiot who hates himself for backing the wrong horse does not a West Horsham s**t fight make.

WTF? How about playing AFL at Adelaide Oval! Left to the SANFL and the Crows we'd both still be playing at Footy Park, Port would be at risk of going under, Adelaide's crowds would be 10k lower at least and you'd be posting an even bigger loss.

Port had to push and push and push to get Adelaide Oval off the ground. Now everything couldn't be accomplished at once in regards to the stadium deal, we had to hold the SANFL (and Adelaide's) hands to get them out of their myopic vision of what SA footy is. If you don't recognise AFL at AO as a massive win by Port over the SANFL (with Adelaide riding our coattails) then just bugger off, as nothing short of Whicker reading a public confession that he was the second shooter on the grassy knoll and he's only coming forward now as Port found out would do it.

How about ...

1. Making them actually enter the AFL in 1991. Left to their own devices they would have stayed in their backyard assuring us the 15 year olds playing sanfl footy in 1995 were making it the greatest competition ever.
2. Making them hand over the second licence when they would rather have bifurcated their testicles with a hot blunt butter knife.
3. Making them hand back money we generated after they tried to take us over and send us to Devonport.

I still can't for the life of me see why the SANFL shouldn't * right off.They have nothing to do with AFL clubs anymore and are just leaching off the 2 clubs still. The sooner Gilligan and his merry men take over the AFLSA the better.

The sooner Gilligan and his merry men take over the AFLSA the better.

We would've also accepted the,

South Australian National Feeder League (finbarr, 2015)

South Adelaide Noarlunga Failures League

Seriously Antiquated Non-Functioning Leadership

I've read enough from Geoffa over the years to already know that'd be his position without having to read it. He's such a cretin.
Worst Lord Haw Haw ever.

Having an academy was a win. If we went with a model like the crows (which were being coaxed into) then we would have sold out. We still had as many Sanfl players from our club drafted into the afl as any other Sanfl side.

Yes we gave up more than we wanted but we retained an ability to support local footy talent at our club at all levels. Community is a big part of the PAFC. Remember our model was so widely panned as giving us too big an advantage last year? Well I would think that your company should perhaps raise to our level in this area rather than us having to drop to yours. Your ambassadors on 5aa would constantly deride us because of our model - again we are expected to come into line with an inferior product. Not sure why this is as everything we have done has pushed for the absolute best with limited resources. The fact you have an afl club to support can be directly attributed to this.

Never said KT and Koch did nothing. All I said is that Koch and KT are happy with what Rooch has reported has been done. And that deal still sees the SANFL as big winners. ..... Just give me one example where you guys had a real win over the SANFL.
Do you actually believe your own Bullcrap?? The Crows and SANFL who have sucked each other's you-know-what for last 20-odd years, yet suddenly Fagan is the hero here?! Stuff me!

What you see as KT and Koch acquiescing to the SANFL is nothing more than we have had to do for the last 18 years; smiling and saying 'everything is just fine' while those maggots have been shafting us. The rhetoric coming from KT about the dialog being in "good spirits", and "everyone on the same page" and the like, is all bullcrap really - Said publicly to keep from alienating the SANFL while they have continued to negotiate the best deal.

As for what wins we have had, they are numerous, the biggest of which is our very existence still, despite a SANFL-led, state-wide endeavor to destroy us!

This is so ridiculous.

There was no "first AO deal" there was an interim deal because nobody was happy. The actual deal has been getting debated for something like 8 months and hasn't been signed off yet.

As it's turned out, the SANFL showed absolutely zero foresight on the interim deal, because the AFL clubs making losses or small profits despite unprecedented support and attendance has turned the general footygoing public, who were either "who gives a stuff?" or "it's all poort's fault" last year into a mobilised army of outrage baying for SANFL blood.

They've turned a populace who have blindly followed them against them by being terrible at disguising how badly they are ripping the clubs off. It was easy at AAMI when we were getting small crowds to blame us (despite them making a killing), but it's a bit harder to point at sellouts and packed houses all year, with the 1st and 3rd (4th?) best average attendances and still claim that the AFL clubs need to do more.

It's not about small victories anyway, it's about the long game. In the long game, the SANFL are absolutely cooked. Our small wins over the past few seasons have been not folding despite the worst financial conditions in the AFL. Given a sniff, we're now generating tons of revenue and setting ourselves up long term, and we've managed to turn public opinion during this debate from "lol poort get some more tarps" to "gee how the hell did the SA AFL sides not make money after that year?"

In this stadium deal, we held absolutely no cards and we've managed to draw a few aces. I'm not sure how you could possibly argue that we haven't had any small victories.

Well done all for feeding the troll, he is probably over on the Camries board laughing at all the rustled Jimmies. As far im concerned he is nothing but a turncoat campaigner and isn't worth wasting bandwidth on.

He's conflicted, he's now one of those who wished they supported Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back