Game Day NAB Round 1 Crows v Kangaroos, 1 March @ 4.10

Remove this Banner Ad

people need to chill !!! Improvement isn't linear , we found a couple of likely types off our rookie list, had no long term injuries and Lyons is going to be a player. Week 1 - tick. No doubt Phil will set up structure more like round 1 in next 2 games and we will add another layer to our game plan

Looking at the positives:
We won
We blooded 5 players and I think we've found a gem in Ramsey
VB looked good in his first game in over a year
We tried different guys in different positions to find out what they're worth
Luke Brown toweled up Lindsey Thomas the dirty sook

Not to mention Ramsey, smokey for round 1

No serious injuries

O'Brien has a future

Lyon was a machine

Betts looks set for another bumper

We won with little contribution from Tex and JJ

O'Brien was absolutely buggered in the last quarter which didn't help going against Daw in the ruck contests. Not too bothered, tackling was annoying in the last (kept going around the hips, leaving arms free to get off handballs), but the C team was in the midfield apart from Sloane.

Yep that last quarter was embarrassing. Was like watching the reserves vs an AFL side. Wigg isn't ready yet. CEY won't make it.

Anyway glad we won.

This is the first competitive hit-out under a new coach and game plan, yes?

If this was Sando Year 3, you'd be psycho-analysing the fadeout. I prefer to think that the players that were out there seemed to get what the new coach is getting at, and managed to build a 50-point lead while doing it.

Agree 100%. Tbh the style of play under Walshy, as well as the first pre-season game in the heat probably took it out of the players a lot as well.

Can't help but feel a bit sour after that last quarter.

At least we forced plenty of turn overs with our pressure in the first three quarters while we were still out there. That feels new.

Got to see a bit of Ramsey who looks a gun and got confirmation CEY has a good SANFL career ahead too.

Did anyone else think Jaensch looked a little quicker today? He made a very nice run in that last quarter but it could very well have been a slow opponent he was running from.
Seemed a little more confident i thought.

Looked a little better defensively as well.

Can't help but feel a bit sour after that last quarter.

Yeah it's hard to know what to feel after that game. Our pressure across all areas of the ground was very good, something we haven't seen from Sando. Say it's a scratch match, say we played the youngsters all you want, you have to admit that fade out was a little disappointing after 3 quarters of very good work. No need to panic however and we have another 2 games still to go and see if this is a common theme.

Lyons was brilliant, laird and Grigg were great, although grigg along with crouch still looked very rushed with their disposal. Ramsey doesn't look uncomfortable at afl level, he could seriously slot into our forward line for lunch if need be, or even down back.

Siggins and CEY were the big disappointments. Didn't see much of Kelly or Kerridge and Hendo after halftime unfortunately. Pods again, is not the answer down back. Can't wait to see Cheney in the side.

Gameplan wise there were still too many hospital hand passes for my liking. The match was always going to be scrappy but we looked very rushed and didnt create all that much time and space for ourselves. When it did come off however north could not match us

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyons has put his hand up.

Jenkins has left the door open.

Laird will get jobs this year.
Left open for who? .......IMO a lock ...definitely saw improvements on last season ....a big tick for me today

Nah nothin personal. I'm done.
When Pods drops back late in last qtr at times this year and pulls down a few match saving marks...u may appreciate.
Take it eazy

Well at least you've given me an actual answer this time expressing your views rather than acting like a child, that's all I asked for...

Again though, pods is not the answer going forward imo. We have recruited the likes of Cheney, Lever, Ramsey and McGovern. While a few of them may still be a little way off getting games, these are the players we need to be getting games into. This will most certainly be Pods last season and while he clunks the odd mark, he's still very average at defending imo. We seen him beat time and time again. Youngsters could be coming in and getting valuable experience and game time and still before a similar role.

We have absolutely nothing to gain by playing him up forward, let alone down back...

Yeah it's hard to know what to feel after that game. Our pressure across all areas of the ground was very good, something we haven't seen from Sando. Say it's a scratch match, say we played the youngsters all you want, you have to admit that fade out was a little disappointing after 3 quarters of very good work.

Lyons was brilliant, laird and Grigg were great, although grigg along with crouch still looked very rushed with their disposal. Ramsey doesn't look uncomfortable at afl level, he could seriously slot into our forward line for lunch if need be, or even down back.

Siggins and CEY were the big disappointments. Didn't see much of Kelly or Kerridge and Hendo after halftime unfortunately. Pods again, is not the answer down back. Can't wait to see Cheney in the side.

Gameplan wise there were still too many hospital hand passes for my liking. The match was always going to be scrappy but we looked very rushed and didnt create all that much time and space for ourselves. When it did come off however north could not match us
I saw some things in Siggins I liked.:)

Crouch, Lyon, VB, Grigg. Didn't really see them in the middle much if at all that last Q, we just got run over and when the defenders had the ball, the mids didn't run to give them options (Jaencsh being forced to run with the ball showed)
Pods at least presented, turned it over every bloody time though... and where was Tex... he needed to show leadership at time and present an option.

Good first hitout! Youngsters showed alot apart for CEY. Siggins is a worry and Wigg had first game jitters lol

That ruck contest where O'Brien could hardly walk, heading to the ruck contest while the ball had already been thrown in. Turns around and daw just pushes him out the way and runs away with it.

This goes to show little can be taken from that last quarter as we had a first year rookie ruckman battling it out with cey and Martin struggling to know where to stand at the centre bounces

I saw some things in Siggins I liked.:)

Agree there were some half decent things defensively, but he always seemed to panic when he has the ball in hand and just looked very slow of the mind.

He's coming from a long way back no doubt... Who knows what another season in the sanfl will produce however, was just hoping by now he'd be showing a little more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back