Review AFL NAB Challenge 1 autopsy - Gold Coast defeats Geelong by 8 points

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Funny old game. Hard to pick half a dozen best. Without looking at stats I'd have Taylor and Motlop there. Others were good in patches - Guthrie, Bartel, Lang, Duncan and Enright.

The positives were no injuries and some good signs from Lang (who looks so comfortable at the level), Cockatoo and Gregson. All made some blues but were overall positive contributions.

The real negative from me was the clearances were we were absolutely smashed. If we are to go anywhere in 2015 this is an area that must improve and we looked no better, if not worse, than 2014 today. Selwood will obviously help but it's as though they have no idea how to defend an opposition ruckman's taps. Simpson got schooled by Smith and our mids were just nowhere near Smith's taps.

Also thought it was telling how regularly our handballs were cut-off or intercepted. It was a clear case of the pressure stepping up quite a few notches from pre-season and we didn't really adjust well at all.

Overall happy and looking forward to the next hit-out. It's good to have footy back.

I'd only add Id be more forgiving as it was played up there. Id like to have seen our first hit out in slightly less warm conditions. Yellow balls? But there is work to do , and Simpson was far from impressive

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Here are my thoughts on the game (After getting over the disappointment of Jansen out):

- Didn't care we lost, was so happy to just see us playing some footy!
- All of a sudden Kelly is back in lots of people's Best 22's if he plays like that in the midfield this year :p
- Bartel & Kelly will help a lot at times during the middle this year (Never retire Jimmy :'( )
- Gregson is so lively I loved the intensity he brought, just fumbled a lot (nerves naturally in 1st game), will be better for the run!
- Gore showed a bit, tackling very good as we heard, was managed but showed enough, used it pretty well, hoping to see him get more game time next match and hopefully more possession.
- Cockatoo I really liked even though he didn't get much of the ball! If that ball didn't slip when he bounced it I could see him getting a running super-goal he is very exciting :D
- Lucey was even worse than I thought he would be oops haha...Come back after year in VFL.
- Luxford did a bit, that play where he nudged Malceski (I think) under the ball, marked it & handpassed to Mackie I think was a good play!
- Clark was very rusty but 2 goals & him smiling I am very happy with :)
- Kolodjashnij did a few good things, I liked how others tried to get him involved!

- Now...where do I start...DARCY LANG...Amazing. 2 goals (could have had 3). Usually used the ball very well. Handled it very well when many others were fumbling. Holds tackles well too! Round 1 here he comes!

- Thing I hated most...The haircuts...Lang...Gregson...What is that s**t?

Anyway, bring on Adelaide March 12th!

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Well, it's time.
Time to join the YPO train.

We are cooked.

Some really, really good signs by kolo, lang, cocka.
Loved how Motlop, Duncan, and cocka tried to 'go' when they had the ball.

But the game plan is complete shyte. Kicking backwards 30 metres. And missing the target by 10 so they go back even further is crap. Its 2006 footy. Maybe even worse. At least in 06 it was just backwards handballs.

And for all the knocking GC get for not being able to play without their skipper.
We missed ours more.

I'll give it til about week 3 of the main season.
But based on game style. 10th.
Firstly thanks for putting me in it VC:D.But that aside I was hoping we would see something new in the game plan but from what I gather here it was the same old same old,and that won't be good enough,Kersten and Murdoch were passengers today and they're two that need to stand up this year and lead the way if we are to be competitive up forward,it's all fine for people to say it's only the first NAB cup game of the year but I'd expect players in their age bracket to be up and about trying to consolidate a spot in the first 22.If I were Scott I'd be flaming their combined Asses Monday morning.

That was not off the side of the boot. It was mindset.
I think it just got caught by the breeze. How many kicks from both teams on that wing went floating over the boundary?

The guy might now be B grade in the context of the league, but he used to be elite.

We'll see mate. Let's see how it all looks in 6 weeks.
But certainly, nothing looked promising from a team / game style point of view.
I agree that it looked ponderous (and your broader point about where the team is at), I just don't think that the kicking backwards was reflective of a new defensive mindset - when it happened, I think it happened because they didn't have options further upfield. How many times did they kick long to contests in the corridor or the edge of it from kick-ins rather than going a shorter option? How many times did they try and create overlap with the handball only to get done on the counterattack because they hadn't hit a target? I reckon they're still of a mindset to aggressively attack, they just don't have the skills to do it.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Simpson was the major disappointment for me, got smashed by Smith and was fairly non existent around the ground. I know he has had a lot of injuries ruining pre seasons but he's in his 8th year and it is make or break for him. Realistically with how quick the speed of the game is now and how much endurance it demands I just don't think you can have a ruckman who lacks endurance so much and can't cover the ground. If he can't get fit real quick he isn't in the 22. Hopefully Hamish and Stanley are fit and playing soon as we really need some better options in the ruck. Given how badly we have been exposed in finals the last 2 years for lack of ruckmen, this area, along with the midfield, has to improve if we are to contend.

I really like Simpson, but I'm starting to think an unpalatable truth is becoming clearer - it's not just that he has never been fit enough; perhaps, he simply isn't good enough. It's not a lack of effort, he throws himself in at every opportunity. But unless he can start getting more of the ball and having way more impact at bounces, it's hard to see him staying there.

If it was true he might have been.:D
:oops:

I'd have bet the house he kicked two, thanks for being gentle with me :$

BTW I meant Lang not Kersten + have edited the post.

Last edited:
Feeling validated in thinking that taking Lucey up there robbed someone of a game today who might actually play some senior footy in the next 2 years. Skills poor overall, game plan was unattractive and ineffective from the looks of how it went today. Simpson was dominated, tried to put in a bit of followup efforts which was encouraging but still looked outclassed. Murdoch was shocking as nearly everyone here has noted. Got the feeling lang was probably going to get first crack at the spot left open by Bundy and went a good way towards locking that in today. Smedts had a crack, didnt set the world on fire but not our worst. Taylor, Bartel, Kelly were pretty impressive. No injuries are good things.

Jeez' bit harsh. We have to remember it was his first match since having back surgery while Zac Smith did not miss a beat over the summer break.
It was good to just see him get through the game. He'll be a lot better in a months time after some decent hitouts.
Spot on. Some people are unaware what a talent ZS is too. If fit, would go close to nudging out 211 as best ruck.
DS is ahead of schedule. It is a bonus he is even able to play out a NAB 1 game.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I really like Simpson, but I'm starting to think an unpalatable truth is becoming clearer - it's not just that he has never been fit enough; perhaps, he simply isn't good enough. It's not a lack of effort, he throws himself in at every opportunity. But unless he can start getting more of the ball and having way more impact at bounces, it's hard to see him staying there.

He was pushed off the ball in ruck contests often today too.
I think all those injuries have finally done the job on him, which is unfortunate.

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed

simpson will never get more of the ball, no matter how good his fitness is, he will never take marks or kick goals. its how it is

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Play Kersten in a few games this year just to bump up his worth, might get a bit more from Freo next trade period. Really really don't know what anyone see's in him.

Play Kersten in a few games this year just to bump up his worth, might get a bit more from Freo next trade period. Really really don't know what anyone see's in him.
We haven't seen enough of him to see anything yet. This season. Ditto Smedts, Cowan....

Totally agree on the first part VD, afraid I disagree on the second. I can't recall when he's ever been a key for us. Has to do much more to justify his continued selection.
Seem to recall the surprise at how well he was polling in our B & F count last year. He has something called momentum once he is desperate and up and running. Would not get carried away by a lack-lustre performance by any player or team on 1 March!

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Seem to recall the surprise at how well he was polling in our B & F count last year. He has something called momentum once he is desperate and up and running. Would not get carried away by a lack-lustre performance by any player or team on 1 March!

Not getting carried away, but it underlines his single biggest football issue - he has to do much more.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
he's kind of being managed at the moment. He along with Simpson, Cockatoo, Gore and Lucey and Luxford didn't play anywhere near as much game time as the rest.
Still, I thought he showed some promising signs. Did not take as many marks as what we will likely see in the future from him but he set up a shot on goal and also impacted the contest to bring the ball to ground for the smalls. Should be fully match fit in another months time.
he's very skilled with the running pickup off the ground, isn't he? Just seems to glide through and collect it, look around and know where to go with it. Just needs to have teammates in the clear for him to accept it and it'll look much better. I think he's coming together quite nicely.

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed

i think the generally feeling on here is if he can kick them in the vfl he can kick them in the afl.
have to give him a full playing season before judging him, althou my gut feeling tells me he wont make it

but guys like burbury will tell you, you can be judged and sentenced pretty quickly

He was pushed off the ball in ruck contests often today too.
I think all those injuries have finally done the job on him, which is unfortunate.
Here we go again. I guess there will always be 1 or 2 players that are going to cop it. How many AFL players are you aware of who have survived 3 back surgeries, and yet still front up to play a NAB game in 30 C?
He is ahead of where it was thought he would be. Played barely 60% game time, was beaten by a mighty talent who was at full tilt already. Too early to write him off. IF he gets through preseason, and can endure a whole H & A season, you don't reckon you'll see a better Simpson?
Way too much expectation for a NAB 1 game.

Back