Netball Men vs Women netball

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was having a discussion, and we were talking about whether a group of amateur footballers would defeat the Australian womens netball team. I wasn't sure what forum to put it in, so I went with this one.

My general thoughts are that it would take some time to adapt to the way netball is played, and initially the guys would struggle. Assuming however the guys had a reliable shooter I reckon the guys would win after grasping the concept of the game.

Thoughts?

I was having a discussion, and we were talking about whether a group of amateur footballers would defeat the Australian womens netball team. I wasn't sure what forum to put it in, so I went with this one.

My general thoughts are that it would take some time to adapt to the way netball is played, and initially the guys would struggle. Assuming however the guys had a reliable shooter I reckon the guys would win after grasping the concept of the game.

Thoughts?

No chance.
the oz womens team would beat the footballers EASILY.

Thoughts?

RG have you played yourself?

Any further thoughts on the match up

Man v Woman?

Played in a mixed social comp, all your instincts in football lead you to foul in netball, and the positioning is tricky to get used to. Conversely, the women constantly underestimated how high they had to throw it to get it over a guy, or how wide a guy could cover.

So the answer is, it depends. If they played straight away or after a month or so, the Diamonds would win. If the guys had a year to become accustomed, then they would win. Also allowing for the fact the women would also need time to adjust to having to adopt a different style.

The best strategy in the mixed league was, the guys get the ball through intercepts, then pass to the women to move it upfield. If you have a guy who can shoot half decently, he goes shooter.

amateur footballers yes

professional footballers the ladies would get slaughtered.

I take it you've not played at the top level?

Hold on lady, I am only outlining the lack of finesse a male footballer would have not having played their whole life.

I understand top netballers are Amazonian and would throw their weight around.

So, what part of the statement is incorrect?

1. A person would be clumsy on the court if they had a non-netbalbackground

2. Top level netballers are by and large tall, built women

And what makes you the authority on this? You are easily offended and can't give a reasonable evidence to describe why everyone else is wrong?

So, what part of the statement is incorrect?

1. A person would be clumsy on the court if they had a non-netbalbackground

2. Top level netballers are by and large tall, built women

And what makes you the authority on this? You are easily offended and can't give a reasonable evidence to describe why everyone else is wrong?

1) ridiculous
2) wrong
3) having played and coached at various international level in both womens, mixed and mens I'd say I'm more than qualified to comment

Gonna give us all some wisdom, coach? Or are you just gonna sit there and act like you know something without actually saying anything of substance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna give us all some wisdom, coach? Or are you just gonna sit there and act like you know something without actually saying anything of substance?

I know plenty about netball, what is it you want to know?
Apologies if I offended but the whole stereotyping of how men play netball grates on me

I know plenty about netball, what is it you want to know?
Apologies if I offended but the whole stereotyping of how men play netball grates on me
The original proposition was about how male footballers play netball, not how men play netball. You turned it into that discussion.

That a team of men who were very experienced playing netball would thrash the women would seem an obvious proposition, hence that is not what this is about. I played netball while in the middle of my footy career, like some of the guys we played against, and the mistakes we made were fairly consistent. The most influential players on the teams were invariably the experienced female players, and while the footballers bought something to the game not normally seen, we made to many consistent mistakes to have beaten a really good female team. Unless we had taken the time to stop playing like footballers playing netball, and start playing like netballers.

I have had similar discussions with male hockey players about footy players coming and filling in at a hockey match. They had to be given specific roles, like marking a player to be any use, otherwise they just made to many errors.

The original proposition was about how male footballers play netball, not how men play netball. You turned it into that discussion.

That a team of men who were very experienced playing netball would thrash the women would seem an obvious proposition, hence that is not what this is about. I played netball while in the middle of my footy career, like some of the guys we played against, and the mistakes we made were fairly consistent. The most influential players on the teams were invariably the experienced female players, and while the footballers bought something to the game not normally seen, we made to many consistent mistakes to have beaten a really good female team. Unless we had taken the time to stop playing like footballers playing netball, and start playing like netballers.

I have had similar discussions with male hockey players about footy players coming and filling in at a hockey match. They had to be given specific roles, like marking a player to be any use, otherwise they just made to many errors.

Hallelujah

Last edited:
Footballers would be absolutely useless to a hockey team.

Footballers would be absolutely useless to a hockey team.

Generic statements like this are complete crap,

Judging a person's sporting ability without knowing their background is BS

Same for mens netball V football

I have a friend who was a social footballer/basketballer who played a few seasons of Wednesday night social netball.

He can block a netball from above the netball ring. I have seem him play against women who played at fairly decent levels of netball (state league) and he dominated them. His vertical leaping ability they could do nothing to counter.

I have a friend who was a social footballer/basketballer who played a few seasons of Wednesday night social netball.

He can block a netball from above the netball ring. I have seem him play against women who played at fairly decent levels of netball (state league) and he dominated them. His vertical leaping ability they could do nothing to counter.

Just meant they've never been coached on how to overcome that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back