Buying a PC

Remove this Banner Ad

Get the FSP Raider/Aurum from PLE. Saves you a tonne of money, and they're one of the best quality units on the market.

I'm not that keen on modular power supplies. I've had two in different builds, and I've used just about all of the cables in each. It doesn't really make a difference if you're building in a case with good cable management like the S340.

Edit: actually I'm just going to go through PLE as they seem to have everything I want

Try to build it yourself, it's part of the experience. I've built hundreds of systems and I also work in IT, so I'll be able to give you a hand with the technical things .. no doubt some of the others here will be able to assist you as well! If you're not confident PLE will build it for you ($99), and they're very good at what they do.

Get the FSP Raider/Aurum from PLE. Saves you a tonne of money, and they're one of the best quality units on the market.

I'm not that keen on modular power supplies. I've had two in different builds, and I've used just about all of the cables in each. It doesn't really make a difference if you're building in a case with good cable management like the S340.

Try to build it yourself, it's part of the experience. I've built hundreds of systems and I also work in IT, so I'll be able to give you a hand with the technical things .. no doubt some of the others here will be able to assist you as well! If you're not confident PLE will build it for you ($99), and they're very good at what they do.

Seems like every 30min I change my mind on whether I want to build it or not, Ill head in to PLE tomorrow time pending and make a decision n the day I guess

on a seperate note from all this, I've got monitors everywhere but kind of desire a monitor with a 2560x1600 res, reason being its been advised to me thats the desired res for the stuff I do by people in the industry (we have very cluttered screens)

They seem relatively expensive and considering I already have monitors on hand (a poltry 1920x1080 but getting by ok) I'm reluctant to pull the trigger, unless there are hidden gems or better ways to go about getting that kind of reso monitors?

Seems like every 30min I change my mind on whether I want to build it or not, Ill head in to PLE tomorrow time pending and make a decision n the day I guess

on a seperate note from all this, I've got monitors everywhere but kind of desire a monitor with a 2560x1600 res, reason being its been advised to me thats the desired res for the stuff I do by people in the industry (we have very cluttered screens)

They seem relatively expensive and considering I already have monitors on hand (a poltry 1920x1080 but getting by ok) I'm reluctant to pull the trigger, unless there are hidden gems or better ways to go about getting that kind of reso monitors?

As far as 1440p goes, the extra screen real estate is brilliant. The brand name units aren't cheap but you're guaranteed support if anything goes wrong. You can get the Korean 1440p screens which are LG/Samsung discards and go for a much lower price ($250-350). They get brilliant reviews but I'm not game enough to buy one.. could you imagine the hassle with warranty?

https://www.youtube.com/user/razethew0rld/videos

Tek Syndicate covers all of the Korean monitors and the big name ones. Sift through his channel and see what you can find.

If you get a 1440p screen and plan to game on it, you'll have to jump up to a 280X to drive higher end games. Extra VRAM and a bit more power.

As far as 1440p goes, the extra screen real estate is brilliant. The brand name units aren't cheap but you're guaranteed support if anything goes wrong. You can get the Korean 1440p screens which are LG/Samsung discards and go for a much lower price ($250-350). They get brilliant reviews but I'm not game enough to buy one.. could you imagine the hassle with warranty?

https://www.youtube.com/user/razethew0rld/videos

Tek Syndicate covers all of the Korean monitors and the big name ones. Sift through his channel and see what you can find.

If you get a 1440p screen and plan to game on it, you'll have to jump up to a 280X to drive higher end games. Extra VRAM and a bit more power.

Think I will be getting this, friend has it for the same purpose as me and loves it

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-30-cinema-display-2560x1600-ips-led-monitor/

Ok so build is looking like it will be

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz 6MB Retail Box
Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO
Memory: Kingston 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR3 HyperX Fury Black C10 1866MHz
SSD: msung 850 EVO Series 2.5" 7mm 250GB SSD (will run without a HDD for now)
Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX960 STRIX 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI 3xDisplayPort ....or.... Radeon R9 280x - both same price, tbc
Case: NZXT Source S340 Mid Tower Case USB 3.0 Black
Power: XFX TS Gold 550W 80PLUS Power Supply

And with this I wont need an after market cooler I assume

Will be getting most things from PLE, the case from CPL
nice looking build. Go the 280, it will save you coin on your heating bills in the winter too

nice looking build. Go the 280, it will save you coin on your heating bills in the winter too

This. Only upside to the 760 is the efficiency.

If I keep my PC on for most of the day I can actually feel and smell (yep, smell) the heat coming off the card. :$

I have a Gigabyte Windforce card, although the cooler works well some games just push it to around the 75-80 degree mark. Not like it's an issue, just make sure you've got adequate cooling in and around your case. All graphics cards will heat up, especially AMD ... the Nvidia 9xx series just not so much.

This. Only upside to the 760 is the efficiency.

If I keep my PC on for most of the day I can actually feel and smell (yep, smell) the heat coming off the card. :$

I have a Gigabyte Windforce card, although the cooler works well some games just push it to around the 75-80 degree mark. Not like it's an issue, just make sure you've got adequate cooling in and around your case. All graphics cards will heat up, especially AMD ... the Nvidia 9xx series just not so much.
Yeah, ive got a windforce on my 970 and it doesnt go much over 60 degrees under load even with the overclock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back