2015 Membership Thread (official unaudited figures in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

How is Essendon the second biggest club?
There is no doubt about it.

This is not the forum for a discussion because it's not debatable. Apart from membership right now, with Essendon being impacted by an AsADA investigation, Richmond don't rank higher than Essendon on enough metrics.. Apart from that there wouldn't be many objective facts to support an alternative view. Richmond may be 3rd biggest in Vic but they don't have the the vast national following of Collingwood or Essendon which comes through in the following indicators. Attendances, sponsorship, revenue, football operations revenue, dreamteam, superteam stats, afl / MCC members, support at interstate matches, merchandising sales, tv audiences. I could go on and on but won't for everyone's sake.

Essendon and Carlton may be down right now abd the Tuges up and about but don't think for one moment the landscape has changed to any material degree. Richmond withstood 30 bad years to emerge strong and so will Carlton and the Bombers. I can't remember being at an Essendon home game at the G, or even Ethihad where there's only been low 20,000 crowds. I have lost count with Richmond.

The Blues and Bombers will be back in the next few years and from an Essendon perspective when they do the competition will be reminded of it's widespread appeal.

Dont turn this into another Richmond pathetic p.....g contest.

Last edited:

This is not the forum for a discussion because it's not debatable. Apart from membership right now, with Essendon being impacted by an AsADA investigation, Richmond don't rank higher than Essendon on enough metrics.. Apart from that there wouldn't be many objective facts to support an alternative view. Richmond may be 3rd biggest in Vic but they don't have the the vast national following of Collingwood or Essendon which comes through in the following indicators. Attendances, sponsorship, revenue, football operations revenue, dreamteam, superteam stats, afl / MCC members, support at interstate matches, merchandising sales, tv audiences. I could go on and on but won't for everyone's sake.

Essendon and Carlton may be down right now abd the Tuges up and about but don't think for one moment the landscape has changed to any material degree. Richmond withstood 30 bad years to emerge strong and so will Carlton and the Bombers. I can't remember being at an Essendon home game at the G, or even Ethihad where there's only been low 20,000 crowds. I have lost count with Richmond.

The Blues and Bombers will be back in the next few years and from an Essendon perspective when they do the competition will be reminded of it's widespread appeal.

I won't turn it into anything, you have, as I just asked a one line question and you came back with the stuff dreams are made off lol

Now to add facts. You say we are the third biggest in VIC but thats wrong mate. We are clear second in the country. If you dont believe me,check it. We are only shy under 2k from the pies. Also and to debunk the membership revenue. Its really easy to work out but most don't as it paints a contrary view. See at Richmond, we don't include other $$ to lift the figure like the pies.

If you want net figures from that same source (footyindustry.com), the table is this one. It still trumpets the silly "gross revenue per member," but allows you to figure out the net number, like this:
  • St Kilda: $3.317M / 30.7k members: $107.94
  • Carlton: $5.556M / 47.5k members: $117.02
  • Essendon: $5.811M / 60.6k members: $95.81
  • Bulldogs: $2.118M / 31.5k members: $67.17
  • Richmond: $7.600M / 66.1k members: $114.94
Now I could go on but wont. I am keeping my response membership specific as this is what this threads about BUT I will add one thing. Yes EFC has been well performed off field for many years but don't push a pro propaganda campaign that is clearly untrue. We have consistent high numbers of attendances at our games, we continually are one of the highest rated teams when it comes to TV etc. To suggest your club is poles in front of clubs like mine and the hawks, is laughable.

Last edited:

Interesting, he asked why Essendon is the 2nd biggest club, then you proceeded to explain why Essendon is bigger than Richmond and inadvertently turned it into the pissing contest you didn't want it to be.

I love it when Richmond's up and about! And they haven't even done anything significant onfield yet.

Fact is, the league has highs and lows, in the 50s Melbourne were the biggest, Richmond in the 70s, Carlton 80s, Essendon 90s, Collingwood 00s, Essendon isn't outright the biggest club. There's constant debate because when times change, so does the 'biggest' club discussion.

Right now, Richmond's in a much better position then Essendon and believe me, I wouldn't change it for anything. Make of that what you will.

I don't think so. Essendon is the 2nd biggest club in the AFL abd it's in the AFL's interest to move on ASAP and get back to growing the sport with all engines firing. It needs a strong and successful Essendon as the big VIC clubs are a key driver of the games income: TV revenue, attendances, Stadium revenue, sponsorship etc. There us absolutely no benefit in the AFL continuing to restrict Essendon / the game from moving on ASAP. And resolving the Stadium deals with clubs will be a short term priority and taking over the Stadium facilitates this. Essendon just coincidentally stands poised to benefit enormously from good timing and the AFL's need for an economically viable Stadium which provides tenant clubs stronger returns..

It's almost time for every stakeholder in the game to do their best to move on. A strong AFL needs a strong Essendon bringing in the $'s and continuing to subsidise the continued health of the game.

Wow.

I won't turn it into anything, you have, as I just asked a one line question and you came back with the stuff dreams are made off lol

Now to add facts. You say we are the third biggest in VIC but thats wrong mate. We are clear second in the country. If you dont believe me,check it. We are only shy under 2k from the pies. Also and to debunk the membership revenue. Its really easy to work out but most don't as it paints a contrary view. See at Richmond, we don't include other $$ to lift the figure like the pies.

And even if they didnt include gate reciepts, they'd still earn MILLIONS more from membership revenue than richmond.

If you want net figures from that same source (footyindustry.com), the table is this one. It still trumpets the silly "gross revenue per member," but allows you to figure out the net number, like this:

How is net revenue a reflection of the size of the clubs membership? Its a reflection of how much the club spends on membership...but nothing to do with how many members it gets. net membership revenue is literally a richmond invention in league annual reports - no one else does it because its MEANINGLESS.

And even if they didnt include gate reciepts, they'd still earn MILLIONS more from membership revenue than richmond.

How is net revenue a reflection of the size of the clubs membership? Its a reflection of how much the club spends on membership...but nothing to do with how many members it gets. net membership revenue is literally a richmond invention in league annual reports - no one else does it because its MEANINGLESS.
I miss your membership tally updates, we're not getting the anymore :(

2015members01032015.png

No need to lose it mate. I am entitled to respond to a post, no ? No need to disrespect my club just because you have no idea why they report the way they do. Anyway, peace and love brother, peace and love :)

No need to lose it mate. I am entitled to respond to a post, no ? No need to disrespect my club just because you have no idea why they report the way they do. Anyway, peace and love brother, peace and love :)

Who lost it? I responded to your post with all the respect it deserved, given you referred to my personal work as including a "silly number", despite it being the standard for reporting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo WCE are the 2nd biggest club.

hmm
http://www.vu.edu.au/industry-community/community/western-bulldogs/free-bulldogs-afl-vfl-memberships

Thanks to our ongoing partnership with the Western Bulldogs Football Club, all VU staff and students can claim an exclusive FREE membership to the 2015 AFL and VFL Premiership Season.

Free membership
Your membership grants you access to any three Western Bulldogs AFL home games at Etihad Stadium. It also gets you in to all Footscray Bulldogs VFL home games at Victoria University Whitten Oval, without needing to scan your card. This means you can cheer on the Bulldogs at three AFL home games and all VFL home games for free!

Imo WCE are the 2nd biggest club.

I think you could mount an argument they are the biggest. Will be interesting how much "bigger" they can get once the new stadium comes in. West Coast probably lack the national (read Victorian) media fellatio, as well as probably the national support outside of their home state that the bigger VFL clubs were able to build up during the 70's and 80's, but they are a financial juggernaut in a very wealthy state. They want for nothing and have been pretty successful in the AFL era as well.

I think you could mount an argument they are the biggest. Will be interesting how much "bigger" they can get once the new stadium comes in. West Coast probably lack the national (read Victorian) media fellatio, as well as probably the national support outside of their home state that the bigger VFL clubs were able to build up during the 70's and 80's, but they are a financial juggernaut in a very wealthy state. They want for nothing and have been pretty successful in the AFL era as well.
Absolutely. If they had access to pokie venues their revenue would be huge.

Now I could go on but wont. I am keeping my response membership specific as this is what this threads about BUT I will add one thing. Yes EFC has been well performed off field for many years but don't push a pro propaganda campaign that is clearly untrue. We have consistent high numbers of attendances at our games, we continually are one of the highest rated teams when it comes to TV etc. To suggest your club is poles in front of clubs like mine and the hawks, is laughable.

Don't get emotional.
NY advice is to stick to facts, not propaganda. Memberdhip is only one indicator of club size or performance and right now Richmond are well placed on this as the only measure you could possibly use to argue Richmond is as big as Essendon. As I stated above, Essendon are an indisputable leader over Richmond in many more indicators that without a doubt price beyond reasonable doubt Essendons standing. Richmond don't cone close to Essendon in key large surveys of club size.

If it was close I would be more inclined to give your post some credit. But, facts are facts. Dreamteam, supercoach, AFL and MCC membership and attendances, sponsorship income, nerchandising and TV ratings.. Again, Essendon dont play home crowds in front of 20-23,000 people. Richmond have on many occasions, last year included. These are the facts you wanted. No propaganda.

You can't look at membership as the only key. Carlton are definitely not half the size if Richmond or Hawthorn. It has a vast national following that us certainly not being exploited by a poor administration in recent years which largely perpetuates nonsense assertions of a clubs demise.

Carlton is the best example of a club that has a following at a similar size to the Tigers. Looking purely at raw membership numbers is totally misleading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back