Should Channel 7 have cut Leigh Matthews?

Should Matthews have been axed?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

it_is_the_light

Senior List
Suspended
Feb 20, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Further proof that those running footy at 7 are clueless. Arguably the best special comments bloke in the business, and they decide to toss him. Idiots.

The sooner 7 lose the footy rights the better. 9 and 10 did a better job, and Fox are also decent.

He's been getting progressively less interested and more senile for a while now. Yes he's succinct and not afraid to speak his mind, a legend of the game and also has been a fantastic commentator, but his best is behind him.

Ling and Carey should be adequate as special comments guys. Ling fresh out and understanding the challenges of the modern game. Carey, whilst needing to improve as a commentator is certainly knowledgeable.

I'm not saying Leigh was the perfect move but I don't hate it.

Hopefully 7 get on with fixing their disaster of a Saturday night coverage and also have a plan to move on Bruce sooner rather than later. Why they think Dennis Cometti needs a fellow commentator is beyond me, but clearly it shouldn't be Bruce any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of who is cut, less commentators is only a good thing.

Problem is, they'll just fill his spot with some other peanut.
Problem is, they cut the wrong ones, leaving idiots in the box
The unfortunate thing is, the majority of viewers are just as stupid, so what they get told by commentators is the truth

Well it sucks for me, doubt we'll have as many Sunday games as other teams will ...
They don't really care about quality commentating, they have to know some of their commentators are despised by now and when guys like Zempilas, Darcy and McLachlan get a gig at 7, it's clearly all just behind the scenes politicking.
Ling and Carey have potential at least (potential in my mind is just not being the other Ch. 7 commentators, so no great compliment there), Carey says some dumb stuff every now and then though.

Darcy is a freaking survivor, considering he is quite possibly the worst commentator ever. been a commentator since 2007 season ...

Back