Family Day - Player Attitudes

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty struggles with the focus being on him,at Packenham training day he was very giving.I had my membership that I wanted him to sign,now being an old lady I thought he wont do it.Then as he came along the fence he saw me to the back reached over and signed it for me. I got a smile and a photo
We need to give him some slack we know he struggles with it..I dont want to take away your experience with Dusty,but mine was totally different

Dusty struggles with the focus being on him,at Packenham training day he was very giving.I had my membership that I wanted him to sign,now being an old lady I thought he wont do it.Then as he came along the fence he saw me to the back reached over and signed it for me. I got a smile and a photo
We need to give him some slack we know he struggles with it..I dont want to take away your experience with Dusty,but mine was totally different
All young blokes love a cougar .

Don't know what it was like yesterday, but a couple of hours doing the sigs can be a big hassle because punters can be bloody rude.

I've heard tales of players being abused for refusing to take photos (people were told not to ask them this because it slows things down too much), players abused for not wanting a chat, and players abused for not wanting to hear for the 700th time how they need to change their game plan.

Best examples I saw were at one cocktail party night (and this was before the booze had kicked in). One bloke asked Richo for an autograph, literally as he walked out of the dummy door (he saw him go in and was waiting for him at the door), and another woman called cousins an arrogant ******* campaigner for not agreeing to have a photo with her. The last was hilarious because he had to tell EVERYONE in the queue no photos, even though they would have already heard for the previous punters everyone tried it on.

Having worked in a role where I was serving a public who were queuing for long periods of time and trying to get their purchase asap, I can tell you people are feral and disgusting. I get they are tried for queuing for a long time, but some s**t is just plain rude because no matter how much you pay, you don't own their arse.

Btw I will say one thing, this is 100% an adult thing. Both at the family days and my old job, kids were generally patient, polite, and grateful. It's adults who expect to be treated like gods and crack the shits if they don't.

Also not saying the OP is the latter, but I suspect rocking up later he may have missed some of the fun the players would have been copping if past form is an indicator. From what I understand it's this reason family day isn't that popular with a lot of them, but they get they have to do it.

Ok I went to family day today with my wife and daughter. We kind of arrived late, 11.30 and could only make it to two Marquees for autographs. I want to talk about them, I just would just like to contrast the two. The first was the Jeep Marquee with Trent Cotchin, Brandon Ellis and Sam Lloyd. Firstly Cotchin, what a gentleman, what a star, the club picked the right guy as captain. Polite, friendly and engaged, My wife called him an absolute sweetheart and he was so nice to our daughter. The same could be said about Ellis and Lloyd, they were sensational, they said the right things, they had the right attitude. My wife left grinning from ear to ear after getting their autographs.

Then the KGI Marquee. The contrast was unbelievable. This marquee had Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards, Natham Drummond and Chris Knights. Chris Knights was the only one that responded to her thank you after he had signed with a 'no problem'. Not the Gettysburg address mind you but at least something. The other three guys nothing. Dustin Martin seemed to utterly and completely hate what he was doing (frankly I think he would have preferred being at the dentist than being there). I watched him for a long time as we lined up and you could see how excited especially kids were to meet him. However he clearly believed that just signing cards or whatever etc with a totally disinterested and pained expression, not saying anything to anyone, not really even wanting to make eye contact, not even saying a 'your welcome' or a thank you was all that he had to do. Unfortunately the others at that marquee seemed to follow his lead, although again at least Chris Knights gave a 'no problem'.

Now I know players are all different and I don't know which of the two marquees represented the norm, perhaps we got the best and the worst, I don't know. But seriously, I know it can be tough, especially if you are an introverted type, but really some should try harder than that. The fans are pests sometimes, but they pay their salaries and save them having to go out and get real jobs. This is presumably Martin's fifth family day, if he was a rookie I would cut him more slack, but he is a professional footballer and trying to at least pretend to be nice to people like my wife and daughter is part of his job (at the very very least a thank you or a you're welcome will not kill you). As for the other guys at that marquee, I don't know what their excuses were. It's something that the club should talk to all the players about before each family day, assuming they don't already.

Anyhow family day for all that was great. The club and it's organisers should be proud. And we do have a magnificent individual in Trent Cotchin as our captain. The negatives weren't nearly enough to ruin it, but they were still there and worth at least a semi-partial qualified rant.

Even the players say that he doesn't say much. Maybe talking to people for him is a big issue. Don't take it personal, even though I completely understand where you are coming from.

Imagine yourself being very introverted and being pushed into a social event with many strangers. You would prefer that every conversation is done as soon as possible so that you don't have to enter the whole water cooler small-talk with strangers. With this personality, a player would really suffer in an event like family day, because they are among the main people that others travel to see. The struggle is even more when it comes to children, because you have to put in more effort to communicate to them.

Don't be too disheartened about how he treated your wife and child. By putting yourself in his shoes, you would understand how that must feel like. Responding to a thank you is not a big deal for me and for you, but it may be different for him. I really do understand though how that must have affected you guys

Don't know what it was like yesterday, but a couple of hours doing the sigs can be a big hassle because punters can be bloody rude.

I've heard tales of players being abused for refusing to take photos (people were told not to ask them this because it slows things down too much), players abused for not wanting a chat, and players abused for not wanting to hear for the 700th time how they need to change their game plan.

Best examples I saw were at one cocktail party night (and this was before the booze had kicked in). One bloke asked Richo for an autograph, literally as he walked out of the dummy door (he saw him go in and was waiting for him at the door), and another woman called cousins an arrogant ******* campaigner for not agreeing to have a photo with her. The last was hilarious because he had to tell EVERYONE in the queue no photos, even though they would have already heard for the previous punters everyone tried it on.

Having worked in a role where I was serving a public who were queuing for long periods of time and trying to get their purchase asap, I can tell you people are feral and disgusting. I get they are tried for queuing for a long time, but some s**t is just plain rude because no matter how much you pay, you don't own their arse.

Btw I will say one thing, this is 100% an adult thing. Both at the family days and my old job, kids were generally patient, polite, and grateful. It's adults who expect to be treated like gods and crack the shits if they don't.

Also not saying the OP is the latter, but I suspect rocking up later he may have missed some of the fun the players would have been copping if past form is an indicator. From what I understand it's this reason family day isn't that popular with a lot of them, but they get they have to do it.
Why was Richo back dooring a dummy ?

The op clearly mentioned that it was everyone in the kgi tent, not only dusty. What's everyone's excuse for them, introverted or just rude. Sounds like Cotch should have been in that tent at least to show these others some manners. I was also at the Pakenham day and can only speak for myself but was impressed with everyone there including Dusty.

As others have mentioned it was later and some players had had enough. I can understand this in a way but from my upbringing, it doesn't excuse bad manners

Last edited:
If you go in a shop for example and greet the cashier, if they ignore your greeting, it is considered rude. Yet the majority of us excuse these players for doing the same thing. I've never been in their position (the players) with all the public stuff they are expected to do and don't pretend to know what it's like but is it that hard to show some simple manners.

I'm not saying it did or didn't happen and the names don't matter but generally, the club can not condone that sort of thing on family day, Their biggest interaction event for the year. I take pride when I take my children out and because I know that in any situation, they'll always be very polite and I always get comments on it. This is not because of any hard line stance parenting, I have just always believed that it's very important and an essential life skill.

Now this seems to be an old fashioned view nowadays and i'm surprised by the response. I know these players are not children anymore but this is where this attitude begins.
That's not entirely a relevant example , in fact not at all relevant. The players aren't employed to be customer service operators, they are sportsmen with freakish talents that put them in an elite category . That doesn't mean they will be elite in their social interactions. It would be nice if they were all pleasant , peaches and cream , milk and honey. But for some occasions like yesterday would have been pretty hard work. It really shouldn't b a problem

That's not entirely a relevant example , in fact not at all relevant. The players aren't employed to be customer service operators, they are sportsmen with freakish talents that put them in an elite category . That doesn't mean they will be elite in their social interactions. It would be nice if they were all pleasant , peaches and cream , milk and honey. But for some occasions like yesterday would have been pretty hard work. It really shouldn't b a problem
It is a relevant example because society is becoming more and more like this everywhere and the fact you don't see it as a problem is my problem. Every one is so engulfed with their own lives and problems that nobody cares about anyone else anymore. I'd be generally interested to see if peoples opinion on this relates to their age or upbringing. Old fashioned it may be but manners get you a long way in life.

Again please bear in mind, although I highlighted Martin because he was the star of that Marquee and probably why over 90 percent of people lined up for an autograph, it wasn't just him!!! Also I know it wasn't about spite, but still it was a really really bad look and I was pissed for my wife and daughter, and for others etc. Oh well, need to get some sleep, it's late. Thank you all for your contributions. Goodnight
Without knowing who you are personally it's hard to guage your reaction without assuming some what! Did you over react, take something the wrong way or are you completely justified? It's hard to tell from where i sit, maybe if more people that were there could weigh in? That said, I'd forgive dusty but on the other hand the other guys might be similar to dusty it's just that dusty gets the spot light?! Maybe thats why they were all in the same tent.

I have to say OP, im glad you have put something up here about that. While, yes, if players are shay/introverted then their interactions with supporters will be poorer than, say, Cotchs, however, a smile and a little thank you is the EASIEST thing to do when you are signing autographs for kids. its the time that you should realise that to those kids, you are the closest thing to a real life superhero and honestly, that should make you happy.
now I'm not bagging the players personally, but on family day, the attitude should be top notch, and yes, they probably need to be trained a little better to be on their game for the day.

Everyone has their own experience obviously. I've taken my kids to the last 3 years family days (missed yesterday however) and have nothing but praise for the players. I've also been to a number of open training, or seen the guys around in the Richmond streets and they have been without exception model ambassadors for the club.

As Dusty is under discussion in this thread, last open training session middle of a long player workout in stinking heat, Dusty came over and cheerfully signed probably 100 autographs. He was the only player who did this mid session. Steve Morris approached and then said something like "I'll be back in a little while just need to go inside for recovery" (which I'm sure he did btw). My point is, Dusty while maybe under instruction, looked to me to have done this off his own bat. He could have easily ducked inside like many of the other squad players did. He has drenched in sweat but happily signed my kids RFC caps and smiled for a photo with each. Did the same with others of all ages. Didn't say too much but was totally polite.

I can only think the open training that I discussed above had maybe 300 folk there while the family days I've been to have many 1000s. Perhaps it was all getting a little pedestrian late in the day for them yesterday. Not excusing rudeness, but perhaps we need to cut 'em a little slack. Ever had to do something over and over and over????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Op has a valid point and he seems from follow up posts to be fair.

From other posts saying Dusty has been fantastic at other events etc i would possibly put it down to a bad day...

I dont think even through his introverted personality that he would behave this way. I would assume he has been coached in his behaviour and is well aware of his somewhat cult following, being best mates with Cotch and other leaders at RFC basically ensures that in my book..

I think a gentle note to administration is in order, they will weigh it all up and decide (with much greater knowledge) if a chat needs to take place..

Has the OP considered that maybe the players in that tent may have dealt with an extremely rude or inappropriate fan not too long before the OP arrived? As some have said in this thread that they've had interactions with Dusty and other players in a very positive way. Show some empathy for the guys and accept they wouldn't act that way without a reason. You must have just caught them on a bad day etc.

We have some genuinely nutty supporters out there.

Maybe, just maybe, there is something in the OPs feedback for the club. Perhaps they need to at least think about grouping players that may need a bit more help in their PR role with the likes of Cotch, Rance, Maric, jack, Newy etc. I"m just thinking of the very young guys or very introverted guys to allow them to bounce off their more extroverted mates.

Mind you the KGI tent per the OP's experience would seem a bit unique in its player qualifications. Sheds and Drummond are obvious choices. Dusty too due to heritage and the work he does for KGI. Not sure how Knights gets a gig - but I guess there is a reason.

Without wanting to turn this all political and really railroad this thread with extremist comment, the OPs concerns of rudeness seem valid however don't rate compared historical treatment indigenous folk in this country. Yes it's a whole another topic and not for this forum, but just wanted to put this out there - my main point being the guys like Sheds and Dusty are introverted let's not expect too much from them PR wise and if we want to get too judgemental, don't have to look too far for much worse society examples current or historical.

Well being one of the 'nutty' supporters, I think the response is valid. Is there really any need to ridicule other peoples opinions?

So tell me Toadvine , if it were you in a similar situation to the players, and had a bad experience with 1 or 2 probably very annoying people then that would make it alright to snub the next few? Or on the other side, what if you were lining up with your kids who were waiting to see their idols, you would not be a bit disappointed with the player pretty much ignoring them? Pretty sure your response will be based on whether or not you have kids.

I wasn't there but can only go of my other experiences with the boys which were great. I'm cutting them slack because they play for Richmond football club and are generally great people with good intentions going from all the other media they've done. If it was anyone else I would probably not be so forgiving.

had the pleasure of getting to meet him yesterday as I had a weeks work in Melbourne, took my daughter with me and my aunty and niece, dusty was very friendly to me and my daughter smiled joked abit, signed everything without complaining. totally the opposite from what your describing, but im not saying he wasn't like that to you. I have to admit tho I found cotch to be the most friendliest with the kids.

Maybe, just maybe, there is something in the OPs feedback for the club. Perhaps they need to at least think about grouping players that may need a bit more help in their PR role with the likes of Cotch, Rance, Maric, jack, Newy etc. I"m just thinking of the very young guys or very introverted guys to allow them to bounce off their more extroverted mates.

Mind you the KGI tent per the OP's experience would seem a bit unique in its player qualifications. Sheds and Drummond are obvious choices. Dusty too due to heritage and the work he does for KGI. Not sure how Knights gets a gig - but I guess there is a reason.

Without wanting to turn this all political and really railroad this thread with extremist comment, the OPs concerns of rudeness seem valid however don't rate compared historical treatment indigenous folk in this country. Yes it's a whole another topic and not for this forum, but just wanted to put this out there - my main point being the guys like Sheds and Dusty are introverted let's not expect too much from them PR wise and if we want to get too judgemental, don't have to look too far for much worse society examples current or historical.

Jfyi Martin actually works in the KGI, so I'd guess everyone in that tent is having some involvement

Yeah, coz 'No worries' is elite social skills.
I don't go to family days or similar - they aren't my kind of thing. Getting close to idols mostly disappoints. (Except for Ivvy. Ivvy crush disappointment in bare hands!)
But sorry fan interaction is part of the gig. If you want to be paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to kick a ball around then you have to do the supporter stuff.
If the 15 year old at Maccas on $10 an hour can say hello and smile 300 times a day, the adults with all the media training and support staff can say hello.

Yeah, coz 'No worries' is elite social skills.
I don't go to family days or similar - they aren't my kind of thing. Getting close to idols mostly disappoints. (Except for Ivvy. Ivvy crush disappointment in bare hands!)
But sorry fan interaction is part of the gig. If you want to be paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to kick a ball around then you have to do the supporter stuff.
If the 15 year old at Maccas on $10 an hour can say hello and smile 300 times a day, the adults with all the media training and support staff can say hello.

They guy at maccas though doesn't have every single person wanting to tell him how he should shake a tag though (as happened with Lids one year)

I also think people's expectations need to be reasonable. If you have been signing and smiling for a few hours non stop, no s**t you will be over it and cranky towards the end

Everything that we've heard from our own supporters and even opposition supporters suggest that our players are one of the more friendly groups in the comp. Seriously there's heaps of threads started by opposition fans on our board praising our guys for their great involvement and vibrancy.

Prepared to mark this down as an aberration.

They guy at maccas though doesn't have every single person wanting to tell him how he should shake a tag though (as happened with Lids one year)

I also think people's expectations need to be reasonable. If you have been signing and smiling for a few hours non stop, no s**t you will be over it and cranky towards the end
Yeah, instead they get drunks, druggos, vomit, threats of violence and long shifts. But hey, at least they are in a supportive environment and pulling in the big bucks.
It's the gig. If the princesses can't play nice for 4 hours then they need to suck it up.
Lots of jobs involve having to play nice with dickheads.
And there are lots of training methods about how to smile and nod at said dickheads without taking it personally so that the non-dickheads get the experience they are paying for. Presumably the boys get a version of this training.
Well, if they got the training, implement it.
How expecting "no worries" is unreasonable is completely unfathomable to me.

The question I have for the OP is what did his daughter think...?

All you have told us is you wife called him a Dick, and you thought he was rude...

Did your daughter even notice?
My boys met the players in Adelaide last year and one of them froze, didnt say a word to any players... 30mins later couldn't shut him up how it was 'The Best Day EVER"'...

While we, as adults have high expectations (whether right or wrong), if the kids are having a great day, isnt that whats most important.

My best example of that is our elimination final loss to Port. I only took my eldest (was 6 then). Worst possible scenario is that we got smashed, he had a really bad day out, didnt enjoy following the footy anymore... I made sure he had a good time, every goal we kicked (which wasnt too many I know) he stood up on his seat, waved him flag and yelled as loud as he could! All the surrounding Richmond supprters had been terribly quiet all day, but a few started getting around him late in the day, so he thoroughly enjoyed himself despite the result.

You will be surprised what kids can take out of a situation

Well being one of the 'nutty' supporters, I think the response is valid. Is there really any need to ridicule other peoples opinions?

So tell me Toadvine , if it were you in a similar situation to the players, and had a bad experience with 1 or 2 probably very annoying people then that would make it alright to snub the next few? Or on the other side, what if you were lining up with your kids who were waiting to see their idols, you would not be a bit disappointed with the player pretty much ignoring them? Pretty sure your response will be based on whether or not you have kids.

I wasn't there but can only go of my other experiences with the boys which were great. I'm cutting them slack because they play for Richmond football club and are generally great people with good intentions going from all the other media they've done. If it was anyone else I would probably not be so forgiving.

I'm just trying to put forward a case for the other side, I don't believe I've ridiculed you or anyone else's opinion. I wasn't talking about people in this thread when I was talking about "our nutty supporters" I was making a general comment based on my experiences at club functions.

I've seen women pinch the players asses, I've seen extremely rude "advice" like "learn to kick straight" and "don't * around with the ball so much", I've seen fans take a photo of a player even when the player has politely declined. I'm not saying that any of these things happened at the family day but you can't rule it out completely.

If I were in a similar situation and had a bad experience I wouldn't take it out on anyone else but the important thing to remember is I am not them and they are not me. Even if something like general pleasantries comes easily to me, that doesn't mean its the same for others.

No I don't have kids but I don't think it's unreasonable to accept that everyone is different and that it's more important that you do the right thing than holding others to a certain standard and judging them if they fall short. If the players were mean or aggressive it would obviously be a different story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back