Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs NM (Preseason Edition)

Legz

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Surely a bit of common sense can be used in a situation such as that though...
I suspect that should this have occurred during regular season, when there's more than 2 cameras filming, they probably would've called for a review.

Though still no idea what the result would be.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
The whole straddling the line thing is BS anyway.

You can easily stand behind the line and lean over so that your eyes are looking along the line.

They go into these ridiculous power crouches and get in the way. There is no need for a goal umpire ever to set foot on the field.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I tell you what, this crap of goal umpires getting in the way didn't happen when they wore sensible white lab coats and a hat that you could wear during the game and to an after 8 cocktail party where Frank Sinatra was appearing.

Since they dispensed with that formal look and went informal fluro tops trying to make the goal umpire less of an umpy and more of an old friend...it's gone to s**t and the result has been them getting in the way and stopping goals

Legz

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I tell you what, this crap of goal umpires getting in the way didn't happen when they wore sensible white lab coats and a hat that you could wear during the game and to an after 8 cocktail party where Frank Sinatra was appearing.

Since they dispensed with that formal look and went informal fluro tops trying to make the goal umpire less of an umpy and more of an old friend...it's gone to s**t and the result has been them getting in the way and stopping goals
Exactly!!

You know who else wears white coats.... Scientists.
And you don't see their results being scrutinised from numerous different angles prior to being confirmed correct do you!!

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Not depressing, just don't agree with it being glossed over

Agreed. I am surprised at how people here want to gloss over the last quarter. I see some people even suggesting that they knew what the coach said at 3 qtr time. What a load of crap.

Yes it was a NAB game, Yes we experimented (and so we should), we don't want to read too much into the game. I understand that, but we should never have rolled over like that in the last qtr especially if we are a "new team". I wouldn't have minded us simply losing the last qrt but not like we did. We kicked 1 point. Lets not gloss over it so easily.

Screenshot of Firefox (2:03:15 1:47 AM).png

The goal umpire just displayed his complete lack of understanding for the feel of the game. Normally and quite rightly so they stand on the goal line when the ball is away from goal. As the ball approaches the goals he/she is meant to get into the best position to adjudicate whether a score has been registered. With the state of play as the ball approached the goals in that particular "Betts goal" he needed to actually step back further instead of standing like a statue.

To be honest it would have been a poor s**t kick by Betts if he didnt hit the goal umpire.:rolleyes:

In before, Is this an important issue? No. Its a point of discussion.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
^^ that s**t was just bizarre. If we can change every second rule every 5 mins but can't say "A goal stands if it would have been a goal but for obstruction by the goal umpire" then the game is in the hands of idiots. Especially these days with goal umpires training for a dual role with hat-cam and getting into all sorts of stupid positions. Tweak the rule before it becomes an issue when it matters.

anthc

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide united
Not depressing, just don't agree with it being glossed over
I haven't watched the game, but Walsh obviously gave some kids a go to see what they are made of. You learn more from losing than winning this time of year mate. Its Nab cup as long as there's no injuries and the players and coach learned something its a positive thing.

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
Is that you Sando?

We need to develop a winning culture. The puck doesn't stop with the AFC staff and players but we, as supporters, need to expect and demand a win. No matter how insignificant the game is.

"We were 50 points up at 3 quarter time!" Isn't going to cut it for me and nor should it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a bigger picture than round 1 NAB challenge...... Much bigger

Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everyone is gonna jump on me and say I'm an idiot but, the 4 players I liked and what I got out of that game is:

CEY: yep he can't kick very well especially under pressure. However, I like the kids game. If he can straighten that kick we would be speaking about how bloody good he is. I have hope.

Martin: whether you think he deserves a spot in the side or not no one can deny that he brings the pressure on our regulars and is reliable. He will either cent a spot in our 22 or be an excellent depth player that constantly has our top guys knowing they need to perform.

Wright: looks to me to be recapturing his 2012 form. Loved his pressure and movement.

Laird: absolute legend. Hard as f... this guy must be in our team. Sando was an f...... D... Removing him from the backline and shoving him all over the shop. How was that mark in the first quarter.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Walshy really liked one of those questions too. I think because he won't give them anything for their normal quote grabbing lackadaisical questions, they actually have to think of good questions to ask him. I was pretty impressed with the questions asked in this presser.

It's fun watching the journos trying to come up with a question that he likes!

Also it's interesting how at the end of his answer he tends to look away from the journo who asked it, almost dismissively. He's generally polite but clearly doesn't suffer fools gladly

Back