Family Day - Player Attitudes

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't there, don't know Dusty, don't know whether it was shyness, a lack of understanding of basic manners or the fact that he didn't want to be there...but I will say this:

I have a close friend who I grew up with who currently plays in the AFL, and perhaps it's because he was picked up as a mature ager or maybe it's because he is just a more charitable nice guy but he has mentioned to me on several occasions just how selfish and arrogant some players are. He says some players really sook and carry on about having to do things like...visit kids in hospital....or go run a clinic...which is something he can't understand and struggles with.

But i guess it is the same as the rest of society. Some are more generous and charitable, some are average and some are less....that's life I guess. :(

It is a relevant example because society is becoming more and more like this everywhere and the fact you don't see it as a problem is my problem. Every one is so engulfed with their own lives and problems that nobody cares about anyone else anymore. I'd be generally interested to see if peoples opinion on this relates to their age or upbringing. Old fashioned it may be but manners get you a long way in life.
everyone's different mate, when I go to a checkout I rarely engage in any small talk coz it makes the process longer, I haven't got time, theres no malice in , save it

So Cotch's marquee - everyone can say No Worries
The other marquee everyone except Knights cant.
In none of my customer facing jobs was I ever rotated after 4 hours. Cops don't in the whole shift under much greater stress and provocation.

Your a police ?? Power to ya...:thumbsu: I used to teach, we're bros;)

Understand the OP's position - I too would feel aggrieved on behalf of my family if I felt they were given short shrift....
However - as long as Dusty continues to win games of footy for the RFC off his own boot I have no problems if at the end of a sort of busy day with the fans he loses his manners a little...

Yeah, we need some feel good s**t peeps

I felt good when I had a sh*t. Does that count ?(There's nothing more underrated as a good poop).....

I have a close friend who I grew up with who currently plays in the AFL, and perhaps it's because he was picked up as a mature ager or maybe it's because he is just a more charitable nice guy but he has mentioned to me on several occasions just how selfish and arrogant some players are. He says some players really sook and carry on about having to do things like...visit kids in hospital....or go run a clinic...which is something he can't understand and struggles with.

But i guess it is the same as the rest of society. Some are more generous and charitable, some are average and some are less....that's life I guess. :(

How very true. I can understand many of the points of view put forward and have been in many different circumstances that have provoked strong feelings and ideas. In the end I realised you can't/rarely change others. I try to go with the belief/idea that is least harmful to myself & by extension least harmful to those around me. Emphasis on try to, as I'm not always successful....(For what it's worth)...

Na ambo. Now teachers. There are Saints.

What do ya teach ? I used to do PE & Health Ed. I think there are others on here that are teachers.

He was at quite a few borough games last year watching his old mate connors play, lots of people were getting photos and autographs with him throughout the year, was the same then as well, pretty shy kid but i can understand your point

OP should've come via the Decor tent and seen myself, big Ivvy, Reecey boy, and Chappy. Couldn't speak higher of these lads and the way they interacted with the fans. Some not as forgiving as others, and still went about their business with a smile and a chat where possible. Especially Ivan, asking questions to supporters and just being a genuine guy.
tinypic.com

in6c5k.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do ya teach ? I used to do PE & Health Ed. I think there are others on here that are teachers.

Yeah former teacher...english, sociology, history
Left because of apathetic parents...expecting the world to raise their kids while they take no responsibility for their sprog
Shame, really enjoyed seeing kids achieve their potential

Everyone has their own experience obviously. I've taken my kids to the last 3 years family days (missed yesterday however) and have nothing but praise for the players. I've also been to a number of open training, or seen the guys around in the Richmond streets and they have been without exception model ambassadors for the club.

As Dusty is under discussion in this thread, last open training session middle of a long player workout in stinking heat, Dusty came over and cheerfully signed probably 100 autographs. He was the only player who did this mid session. Steve Morris approached and then said something like "I'll be back in a little while just need to go inside for recovery" (which I'm sure he did btw). My point is, Dusty while maybe under instruction, looked to me to have done this off his own bat. He could have easily ducked inside like many of the other squad players did. He has drenched in sweat but happily signed my kids RFC caps and smiled for a photo with each. Did the same with others of all ages. Didn't say too much but was totally polite.

I can only think the open training that I discussed above had maybe 300 folk there while the family days I've been to have many 1000s. Perhaps it was all getting a little pedestrian late in the day for them yesterday. Not excusing rudeness, but perhaps we need to cut 'em a little slack. Ever had to do something over and over and over????
agree 100% with this, 2 sides to every story, cotch is paid a bit xtra to be our darling to our fans, hed probably be that patient gentleman anyways, dusty lets his on field deeds do his talking, by his own admission the guy complaining got there pretty much when it was all over so maybe get in early if you want a wink and a smile.

i have met dusty a couple of times in same/similar scenario
got a grrr and a scowl got my arm signed a couple of memorable pics

have also seen poor cotch being inundated with fans going on and on and on with waffle and then asking for pic after pic after pic while the q gets longer and longer

furthermore in my experience of following the tigers for a long long time i was VERY VERY disappointed with some of the crap dustin copped from our fans and his only crime was to let his manager do his job.. dustin martin you are a gun and a bit of an arrogent prick, but wouldent want it any other way....end of rant....

OP should've come via the Decor tent and seen myself, big Ivvy, Reecey boy, and Chappy. Couldn't speak higher of these lads and the way they interacted with the fans. Some not as forgiving as others, and still went about their business with a smile and a chat where possible. Especially Ivan, asking questions to supporters and just being a genuine guy.
tinypic.com

in6c5k.jpg

Great shot mate! Look at Ivan.. genuine happiness right there

Noticed this has been brought up on the fan page on Facebook as well. Few complaining that the players were walking around like they were gods gift to us.
Reckon it comes across like that because people are too scared to actually go up and say hi and have a quick chat. It's what I love about my kid he has no reservations to say G'Day to the players when he sees them. It's a good in for me as well as I usually have to apologise for him on occasion when he says something slightly inappropriate. Nothing more embarrassing than when you son tells a player that he sucks and when asked says because my dad said so.

Sorry, not clear. Paramedic not teacher. Just know a lot of teachers and the vast majority are dedicated, passionate people who put in a lot of extra yards.

Introversion is one thing, refusing to say anything when someone talks to you, not even saying a 'your welcome' or 'no problem' at the very end when someone has thanked you is something else, especially when there are kids involved. I'm sorry it's actually rude. And it wasn't just him unfortunately. Not the gettesburg address I'm talking about mind you, so shoot me, just the most basic politeness you can imagine, or lack of it.

I agree that there are basic human expectations you should be able to display. Martin is a big name so has to be there. The club should be smarter about it and knowing his character should have lined him up with more people friendly / extroverted players to lesser the burden and probably make it a more pleasurable experience for all.

In saying that when all you want to do is play footy this prob would be the hard part of the gig. But we all have to do stuff we don't like in our jobs.

Met Richo at a bar in St kilda and I was in awe, I just looked "up" at him and said your Richo I love the tigers man I love you half drunk lol, he said yeah, and simply asked me how I'm doing and then walked away, I'm sure he thought I was a bit of a twit. Love the great man!

Met Rioli and Waite in another club they were cool shook my hand, loved meeting Rioli both real nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back