Essendon's Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Let's go on the assumption that the 34 players are found guilty of taking a PED and not concern ourselves with their penalty for the moment.

If the 34 are found guilty it will be proof that essendon ran a PED program period and although some will argue they are set up most will not believe that.

As essendon have only be penalised for governance issues should their be another round of penalties now a drug program has been proven?

This is not focused at individuals like hird but the club in general.

What do people believe would be appropriate penalties??

I would like to see them suspended from the competition for the same amount of time as the players ie 12 months or 2 years (we are working on the assumption they at being suspended). Although this not going to happen as the AFL is a business not a sporting body, the afl could hand back some cash from the future fund to make this happen.

What are the alternatives:
1.nothing they have suffered enough
2. Massive fine
3. Lose of draft picks
4. Removal of prime games like Anzac Day
5. Play for no points whilst players suspended
6. Have a mini afl take over with them appointing the board members and the CEO to confirm governance is correct before handing it back (a little like Melbourne at the moment)

Whilst I see penalties above that would fit the level of offending, I don't see ones that the AFL would be prepared to issue as they are worried about there back pockets or ones that essendon would accept without a fight.

Although essendon acceptable of the penalty should be the last concern for the afl when considering if they should be penalised for their actions

Last edited:

RIOLIUSTAR

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2009
Padded cell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Can only dream of being this good
Another fine of around a mill or so
Loss of First round pick, but given a pick at the end of the first round
That'd be it I assume :oops:

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Essendon would have a good argument for double jeopardy - which is why they should have waited or hit them harder to begin with. Its a massive joke they copped less than the Crows over a contract issue. However, all that shouldn't stop the AFL from giving a life ban to everyone remotely connected with this thing. That includes the next coach of the Melbourne Demons and a Channel 7 personality.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Theres a real possibility the club could already be on its knees if 18 of its best players miss a season or two, and 34 players sue the club. Further harsh penalties may well be the final straw. Is this what people really want?

RIOLIUSTAR

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2009
Padded cell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Theres a real possibility the club could already be on its knees if 18 of its best players miss a season or two, and 34 players sue the club. Further harsh penalties may well be the final straw. Is this what people really want?
If found guilty Yep I'd think that would only be fair

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
I think there will be penalties, but nothing massive. The AFL is always worried about image and tends to manufacture a punishment to suit (the fine for Melbourne "not" tanking for example). Simply put, I don't think the AFL would want to have a club receive a high draft pick due to many players being suspended for doping violations. I'd imagine all they would do is have them stripped of the first round draft pick but nothing much else.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mxett

Not really trying to smash the bombers with the OP as I have asked if no penalty should be an option...

Should the players carry the can for what was a club program? Or should the club avoid penalties but every person in the football department receive the penalties?

I don't want essendon to be cut from the competition but don't believe there actions deserve no punishment either.

If essendon disappeared for a season whilst the players were suspended and came back fresh and changed from the process, I personally believe this would be a good thing.

Is this financial viable?? I don't know but if the afl took this action I would of the opinion that they would support essendon through those years to ensure a proper return to the comp

RIOLIUSTAR

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2009
Padded cell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
So because there own actions will cause them to be sued they should avoid penalty??

What about playing for no points whilst players are suspended or stripping them of the Anzac game??
This is certainly a possibility again

asterisk.jpg

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
i think any significant ban will have massive repercussions that are being seriously underestimated by people on here. this is not like Carlton and their cap breaches, which resulted in a poor list and performances. Punishing them harshly even further, which will effectively be the third punishment, may be enough to send the to the wall. For people who hate Essendon this may sound really appealing. But for 200-300 thousand AFL fans country wide who never asked for this and never had a say in what happened this will be the end of their interest in the game
Of course it's fair.
if this was hawthorn who were royally screwed by individuals in charge at the time you'd accept your team being punished into extinction? Dont you think the competition would be far worse for it?

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
EFC is here to stay if they look like going bust we will all be bailing them out.

I would imagine tickets sales would drop and sponsors may not renew. The financial impact as Mxett eludes to will already be enormous should a serious number of players be suspended for any length of time.

Punishments should be aimed at facilitators not at fans, get rid of all board members, coaches and medical staff under whose watch this happened for the same or double the length of time of the longest player suspension.

RIOLIUSTAR

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2009
Padded cell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
i think any significant ban will have massive repercussions that are being seriously underestimated by people on here. this is not like Carlton and their cap breaches, which resulted in a poor list and performances. Punishing them harshly even further, which will effectively be the third punishment, may be enough to send the to the wall. For people who hate Essendon this may sound really appealing. But for 200-300 thousand AFL fans country wide who never asked for this and never had a say in what happened this will be the end of their interest in the game

if this was hawthorn who were royally screwed by individuals in charge at the time you'd accept your team being punished into extinction? Dont you think the competition would be far worse for it?
I'd say stiff s**t...your club should :fire: if found guilty

Rioli magic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

There is a difference between a result that is fair and a result that emotionally upsets you.

Well done on bringing Hawthorn into it though to prove my point.

Ridding the competition of those with no regard for it, the contracts they sign or any of the other stakeholders invested in it wouldn't make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back