The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And it could also be a case of him doing his best work as an impact player off the bench. From memory, a fair portion of his goals last year (he finished second in the golden boot...pretty good going, considering how rubbish we were) came when he was subbed on, rather than starting on the ground.
Maybe. I also think him not playing as the focal point helps.

And it could also be a case of him doing his best work as an impact player off the bench. From memory, a fair portion of his goals last year (he finished second in the golden boot...pretty good going, considering how rubbish we were) came when he was subbed on, rather than starting on the ground.

We are a far better team with Williams on the ground. He just makes things happen.
I see Williams as almost our barometer. MC is as inconsistent as he is; when he is "on", we are too. Coincidental?

So we've signed Harry Novillo as an injury replacement for Duff, 23 year old french winger whose represented his nation at under 17 and 19 level. Came through the Lyon youth academy and his previous club was Clement in the french second division. Not a bad CV.

Was about to post this. Should be a good signing.

Clermont are near the bottom of the table in Ligue 2, which in itself is a terrible league. There's almost no information about him on the internet, just his stats from the ligue1 website. Played 12/25 games, 2 goals 0 assists. Obviously a big step down from Duff but he might play better in an even worse league than Ligue 2. Here's hoping anyway.

Well Saint-Etienne were apparently considering offering him a contract, so he must have some good qualities.
Damn, that's a good signing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Saint-Etienne were apparently considering offering him a contract, so he must have some good qualities.
St Etienne have (or are about to have) some sort of parrnership with CFG. Might be a club to keep an eye on for news of triallists/youth players.

Short memories? His 1st season was awesome for the jets.
Don't worry about him, his livelihood is to contradict me. Only interest is to get into petty squabbles because he thinks he's better than me.

Maybe lets just temper our expectations. Hasn't played since January where he struggled for a very weak team in a weak league.

I don't know where you guys are getting that Saint Etienne were majorly interested in him. The local paper said he trialled for less than 24 hours and was never asked back.

Last edited:
Maybe lets just temper our expectations. Hasn't played since January where he struggled for a very weak team in a weak league.

I don't know where you guys are getting that Saint Etienne were majorly interested in him. The local paper said he trialled for less than 24 hours and was never asked back.

I'm quite happy with the signing. Good to see us start getting some young players from overseas. Don't mind the odd has-been, but it would be nice to find a diamond in the rough or two that might end up sticking around for 4-5 years.

I think we're looking like a reasonable squad now that our marquees appear to be hitting their stride, we'll be better when Melling returns and Jaliens and Safuwan have fitted in well. If Novillo can push for a starting position, all the better. Duff is gone for the season and something to replace him is better than nothing.

People have to be realistic about the standard of the A-League. If Novillo could walk into a Premier League, or Ligue 1 club at his age, his agent wouldn't even return calls for him to have a run around in the A-League. Zero risk and potentially high yield. Thumbs up from me.

Willo was flat. We were flat. What is it with CCM?- we just can not beat them.
Not going to be easy coming back mid week.
The new Harry had some good moments.
Chapman and Mooy have had better games.
Hoffy is trying to make an impact in somewhat poor ways after being a sub the past month. Nearly did a Dylan Macallister- 2 yellows within 5 minutes of being subbed in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back