Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Chandler also said that Adelaide Oval's SMA had not spoken with the AFL about the pricing of food and beverages within the venue for AFL matches.

Despite the announcement on Monday that the MCG would slash its food and beverage prices this season, Adelaide Oval's prices would remain fixed as per its model that was set last October.

"They certainly haven't had any discussions with us direct," Chandler said.

"Our business model is quite complex. We've set our budgets.

"At the moment we believe our pricing is competitive and we'll continue to run a competitive stadium."
ref: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-02/crows-shut-out-of-nest

I hope food prices stay the same at Adelaide Oval, it'll mean we lose no money off the Adelaide Oval deal, both clubs will need to make sure that Adelaide Oval food prices are fixed so the SMA scumbags can't slash the prices so both clubs lose money out of any deal announced.

If I could get away with it Id have a friggin sausage sizzle out the front of my hotel. CHarge a buck a snag and grab every one of as you march past :p

Take on that boat shed as an adjunct ... ;)

Kochie, on Sunrise this morning, had a crack at the sanfl and the saca over the high food and drink prices. Said that Port is planning to take action and the action will be creative.

Watch this space.
Fork in the road at Memorial Drive every week would go alright.

Fork in the road at Memorial Drive every week would go alright.

I suggested that sort of concept to Kochie via twitter last year. I wonder if the Fork in the Crew would go for it though, I guess doing it in the lead-up to the game works as its suits the more casual service times, but during the game I don't see people dashing out to a level that keeps the vendors happy - but I guess if they are set up and advertised general public can use them as well.

In reality I suspect being that overt may land us in the poo with our dictatorial overlords ... but who knows I guess.

If Adelaide Oval, or whoever sets the prices weren't so damn steep (I expect) with site fees I'd suggest having a Fork in the Road presence inside the oval, ie a rotating 5 or 6 spots set up.

Kochie, on Sunrise this morning, had a crack at the sanfl and the saca over the high food and drink prices. Said that Port is planning to take action and the action will be creative.

Watch this space.
It would be expensive because of the protective material that would have to be laid out every week then taken away, but to use the whole tennis court area at Memorial Drive so 5,000 or so patrons can use it and have the post game function there would be creative.

ADELAIDE OVAL FB
https://www.facebook.com/adelaideov...5077929875440/806843226032240/?type=1&theater

You may have heard today that the MCG has reduced some of their food and drink prices. We have had the media and many fans ask us today if Adelaide Oval will follow suit.
The simple answer is no. Our prices have been set for the 2015 AFL season and here are a few of the items with prices.

Hot Chips $5
Meat Pie $5
Gourmet Hot Dog $6.50
Chicken Breast Burger $10.50
Soft drink 600ml $5.30
Mount Franklin Water $5
Fresh Salad $10

We believe Adelaide Oval offers a great range of food of exceptional quality, and our items have been really well accepted by our fans. Our pricing is benchmarked against other stadia around Australia and major events in South Australia and we are confident that we are competitive.

The longer answers is . . .
We run a very lean operation and we have structured our prices as best we can to fit our commercial model. We would like to point out that our commercial model is very different to the MCG - all revenue from food and beverage at Adelaide Oval from the footy season goes back to football (AFL Clubs and SANFL) just like all our cricket revenue goes to cricket. If we significantly slashed our prices like the MCG it would greatly effect the two sports.

There is also economy of scale to take into consideration too. The MCG has more than twice the number of AFL games as the Adelaide Oval with MCG having 45 not including finals compared to our 22 game season. The MCG has virtually double the capacity with more than 2.5 million patrons, so they are able to no doubt lean on their suppliers and broker different deals.

Even the MCG has said in their statement that they don’t believe any venue can match what they are offering - they have struck a significant deal, and obviously a very innovative one.

We want to let our patrons know that we are always looking at ways to enhance patron experience and affordability without compromising quality.

[We remind everyone of our HOUSE RULES for this Facebook page . . . they can be found under the ABOUT tab on this page]

They also include a picture of what the chips don't look like.
10547660_806843226032240_968261796460789238_n.png

jeez the comments in that Facebook post

basic gist: "why isn't everything sold at cost price?"

Last edited:
I have no issue with the cost of things at AO except the beer.
I brink my own bottle of coke into the game, and usually get some Sushi or a sanga for half time so I don't need to buy at the Oval...
After the game I will have 2 beers to celebrate a win, or 2 beers to say why we should have won... at almost $20 for the two beers its a bit expensive. I know they would be making about 500% on the beers which is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What irks me is if the prices are set then why were food items increasing in price during the season last year? Ala nuggets and chips I think went up 50c after a few weeks?

For what we paid for food and what we got compared to Footy Park the value was there as the food was much better but it's still a few dollars over on some items, 5 bucks a coke i think is taking the piss and the mixer prices were ridiculous 13.50 I think hahaha and beer *face palm*. What I didn't appreciate was the attack on the portable food vendors after one week when people enjoyed the extra options but obviously the SANFL couldn't stomach watching cash go other places (i'm sure some % of those sales goes back to the SANFL as well though).

Anyway got a reserved seat now so white marquee here I come pre and post game.

I have no issue with the cost of things at AO except the beer.
I brink my own bottle of coke into the game, and usually get some Sushi or a sanga for half time so I don't need to buy at the Oval...
After the game I will have 2 beers to celebrate a win, or 2 beers to say why we should have won... at almost $20 for the two beers its a bit expensive. I know they would be making about 500% on the beers which is a joke.
How much do beers cost in say nightclubs or whatever they are called nowadays in Adelaide?

I suggested that sort of concept to Kochie via twitter last year. I wonder if the Fork in the Crew would go for it though, I guess doing it in the lead-up to the game works as its suits the more casual service times, but during the game I don't see people dashing out to a level that keeps the vendors happy - but I guess if they are set up and advertised general public can use them as well.

In reality I suspect being that overt may land us in the poo with our dictatorial overlords ... but who knows I guess.

If Adelaide Oval, or whoever sets the prices weren't so damn steep (I expect) with site fees I'd suggest having a Fork in the Road presence inside the oval, ie a rotating 5 or 6 spots set up.

So you want to set up food vans with even higher prices than inside the ground to make food more affordable?

those of you bringing in hip flasks, can I just point out, when you go to a bar and ask for a bottle of coke and a cup of ice, they know what you're doing

They shouldn't be selling ice then man.

That s**t ****s you up.

It would be expensive because of the protective material that would have to be laid out every week then taken away, but to use the whole tennis court area at Memorial Drive so 5,000 or so patrons can use it and have the post game function there would be creative.

That could very well be the plan. Whatever it is, it will be well thought through with the intention of charging fair prices and making fair profits.

Watch this space.

This will no doubt hold up the Stadium deal negotiations even further.. + 2 more weeks.

If I could get away with it Id have a friggin sausage sizzle out the front of my hotel. CHarge a buck a snag and grab every one of as you march past :p

Which hotel is yours Wookie ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back