Preview NAB Challenge: Melbourne v Fremantle, Fremantle Oval - March 5

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he gets another concussion, I can see him donning the helmet soon.
They say once you've had a couple of concussions you are more susceptible to it. It almost finished Ro Bail's career. Hopefully it's just a matter of taking a cautious approach and he has no more issues with it.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Hey guys. Enjoy the game. Can't wait to see hogan and Lamumba run out for you guys. We have a couple of young guys to look out for as well. Keep an eye on Connor Blakey. Just from this last draft but has put his hand up for a regular gig already. Plus we have a couple of young forwards in Tabaner and Apness. Apness is a bowling ball and I hope he doesn't hurt anyone including our players.
I would not be surprised if you win. Not because you havn't improved because I believe you have greatly, but because I don't remember the last time Freo won a NAB cup game. Ross does weird things in them and we seem to get smashed every time.

Footy is back. Bring it on

I'm actually working over in Freo at the moment so I'll be heading to the game after work, anyone else going?

Would like to get there, but unfortunately I've got other commitments :( Might still be able to make it for the second half. It's a shame - I am really keen to see how Sylvia goes.

Oh... wait...

Would like to get there, but unfortunately I've got other commitments :( Might still be able to make it for the second half. It's a shame - I am really keen to see how Sylvia goes.

Oh... wait...
hahaha.

Yeah my boss sent me over here for work for about 6 weeks, got myself an apartment 5 mins walk from Freo oval, finish work at 3, game starts at 4:10, perfect.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
For those who have access to Foxtel; they've done something nice as a lead in.

A replay of the 2008 game when we came back from 50 points down at half time :)
I thought I had erased that game from my memory.... Oh well guess that's what happens when you venture over to an opposition board.
Looking forward to the first football game in a long time that involves Freo, will be good to watch how Viv Michie is going too. Surprised he didn't play much for you guys last year. Anyways, best of luck and looking forward to an injury free match.

I'm interested in whether we can break down freos structure enough to get meaningful I50s, pretty sure they have kept us to 6 goals or less 4-5 times in a row

Second thing I'm interested in is how the smalls structure up around hogan , I hope he plays the Barry hall role aka mostly i50 and then Kent , JKH, Garlett all get around him and lock it in there

If we can get the ball deep with the new holding the ball interpretation then Forward pressure will equal shots at goal from HTB and rushed clearances , if anything getting the ball In long is more important again

I actually hope we play him higher up the ground in the NAB, get him some cheap kicks and some touch without wearing himself out - in the season definitely deeper.

I thought I had erased that game from my memory.... Oh well guess that's what happens when you venture over to an opposition board.
Looking forward to the first football game in a long time that involves Freo, will be good to watch how Viv Michie is going too. Surprised he didn't play much for you guys last year. Anyways, best of luck and looking forward to an injury free match.

He had a few injuries - main one being a broken jaw - so he was a little unlucky.

Was impressive when he came in, very smooth operator.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I actually hope we play him higher up the ground in the NAB, get him some cheap kicks and some touch without wearing himself out - in the season definitely deeper.

I'm not too concerned by Freos tall back depth , they defend as a unit so quick ball movement obviously the key

I'd like to see us practice what we plan to do in the season in proper anyway , I know march premierships are nothing but I'd really like to see us attack

Edit - though I don't disagree with you tpm, so long as pedo or gawn stays deep
Dawesys overhead marking is like someone constantly signalling a super goal

Last edited:

fushy

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was meant to have dinner with some friends on Thrus but they cancelled

weeeeeee :)

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
The only game I've ever managed to get my wife to attendand that shite happened.

As much as I enjoyed that win, I did feel some empathy with Freo, before Lyon took over they matched us in the disappointment stakes. They went from nearly beating Geelong the week before to losing to a winless Melbourne (After having a 50 point lead at half time of course).

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
As much as I enjoyed that win, I did feel some empathy with Freo, before Lyon took over they matched us in the disappointment stakes. They went from nearly beating Geelong the week before to losing to a winless Melbourne (After having a 50 point lead at half time of course).

Ah yes the roller-coaster ride of supporting freo pre-lyon. Beat the top teams and lose to the bottom ones. Makes your tipping bloody hard.

There was a game in 2004 as well against your mob at Subiaco. We were up by two goals at 3/4 time and looking good....then it started raining. We kicked 0 points to your 6.7 in the 4th quarter. Sigh.

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=1975&Code=bd615c0bbe04a39549731a14a61b6b8a

I know i it's a preseason game but i'm finding it hard to contain my excitement as the match draws closer. Although you can't help but get a little excited at the things promised in the preseason
In 2013 we where horrible so Paul Roos promised to get us more defensive and structured and that happened in last years nab challenge
Last year we were defensive but unable to kick a winning score, so Paul Roos promised to build on defence and make us more offensive. So i hope that we follow the trend of the last NAB challenge and deliver on becoming more offensive
Wonder what we will improve on for next preseason

Ah yes the roller-coaster ride of supporting freo pre-lyon. Beat the top teams and lose to the bottom ones. Makes your tipping bloody hard.

There was a game in 2004 as well against your mob at Subiaco. We were up by two goals at 3/4 time and looking good....then it started raining. We kicked 0 points to your 6.7 in the 4th quarter. Sigh.

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=1975&Code=bd615c0bbe04a39549731a14a61b6b8a

The thing I like about Freo supporters is that they are just as good at Dees supporters when it comes to recounting insanity inducing losses.

Back